Author Topic: No playback, just bottleneck [and raging here]  (Read 1127 times)

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
No playback, just bottleneck [and raging here]
« on: July 21, 2015, 02:56:29 pm »
So I was watching an anime. When it suddenly stopped playback and my PC stopped responding. I couldn't control my PC at first because MPC-HC was running at full screen when it stopped. I played a different episode but no luck. I checked other files from different release and still no good.

What was that? I was playing one file when it suddenly crashed most Windows services. I can still play this using Windows Media Player so I don't think we can blame K-Lite codec pack. But, hell. There's no way I'd trade MPC for WMP. That player sucks as hell. And I freakin' hate VLC. I just hate the color reproduction, the lack of options, the ASS not being decoded properly.

You might not need this info but...:
Codec Pack installed: K-Lite codec pack 11.05 full (includes MPC)
CPU: Intel Core i5 4210u @1.7 GHz running at 2.4 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 840m
RAM: 4GB

I'd rather sue Doki for corrupting MPC. But f*ck, how will an MKV file do that?! I just noticed, only Doki's releases usually gave me problems regarding playback. Coalgirls, CMS, CBM, Chihiro, Exiled-Destiny, Underwater nor DarkHollow caused playback-related problems.

Anyway, how can I fix this issue? It seems like MPC-HC was affected but not K-Lite Codec Pack. I already reinstalled the KLCP. And, no. I don't want CCCP. Only KLCP and MPC.

Offline Al_Sleeper

Re: No playback, just bottleneck [and raging here]
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:15:34 pm »
Try remuxing the files in a different version of MKVToolnix.

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 04:29:42 pm »
Didn't help. I have 7.6.0 while Doki used 4.0.0 for this one.

It's weird that even reinstalling didn't help. Is that where I get to risk my PC by modifying the registry or just use the Refresh PC option on Windows 8.1?

Everything works fine with Windows Media Player just as normal as MPC while a little desyncing on VLC. It only seems to have affected MPC. Maybe I'll try to use a stand-alone MPC.

EDIT: After the bottleneck for a few seconds, I noticed that the CPU usage also drops back to its regular idle mode but still no playback. This applies to both MPC-HC and MPC-HC x64. I also have to mention this but my PC was updating while I was playing the video file on my external hard drive. That's when the issue started even after several restarts. I can't remove the updates. I'm preparing this for Windows 10.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:40:05 am by ridon428 »

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:36:48 pm »
You can also try Zoom Player.

Offline mrdkreka

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 06:16:40 pm »
Here is what you do. First try installing KCP instead of KLCP, this also include MadVR so you don't have to install that separately. Try playing the videos, and if it work congrats the problem is solved. Also why don't you want to use cccp?
"Nothing is either good or bad, only thinking makes it so." - William Shakespeare

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:56:02 am »
I don't like CCCP because it doesn't provide media information (like resolution, bitrate, audio information, etc.) to Windows Explorer. Which then requires me to use MediaInfo. I use MediaInfo but not all the time so I remove it out of the context menu. One reason is that when I rename, I just right click and press "m". But MediaInfo prevents me that when enabled in the context menu and removing it is the only option. KLCP, on the other hand, is integrated with windows explorer and shows the media information on the file properties. So just right click and "r" is the shortcut and also it supports icon thumbnail of an MKV file which is very convenient.

I put KCP a shot and it's a big no-no. It used 70% of my CPU which is very bad when watching on a laptop without AC power access. It'll drain my laptop's battery before I even get to watch two or three full episodes. I'd stick to KLCP which uses 25% CPU resources. Well, it played on MPC anyway. Also, it didn't support the Windows Explorer integration.

EDIT: returned to KLCP. but this time, 11.3.0 (full). Still no playback but there's no bottleneck anymore. Still works for WMP. And video thumbnail didn't appear the way I want it to.

EDIT2: installed standalone MPC-HC. Still no playback but there's the damn bottleneck. How the hell did Doki corrupted my PC?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:43:32 am by ridon428 »

Offline ConsiderPhlebas

• CP @ Live-eviL
  • Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
    • Live-eviL
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 10:46:02 am »
You might wanna stop chasing a fansub encode for "corrupting your PC". It just doesn't happen that way...

Offline mrdkreka

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 01:10:23 pm »
I put KCP a shot and it's a big no-no. It used 70% of my CPU which is very bad when watching on a laptop without AC power access. It'll drain my laptop's battery before I even get to watch two or three full episodes. I'd stick to KLCP which uses 25% CPU resources. Well, it played on MPC anyway. Also, it didn't support the Windows Explorer integration.
Then set it to a lower setting, MadVR can be more resource heavy, but it also provide the best scaling of any Video render.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:12:30 pm by mrdkreka »
"Nothing is either good or bad, only thinking makes it so." - William Shakespeare

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 03:18:47 pm »
I don't exactly blame Doki for corrupting my PC. If it really did, then more people would come bashin 'em. Although, I think I'll blame Microsoft for this one :P

Anyway, I'll just refresh my PC. If it doesn't help, a full recycle will do. This PC was recycled a few days ago.

Just sharing: MadVR caused more playback-related problems the first time I tried it. I'd rather not stick to it until it actually performed better without the excessive processing requirement.

Offline anonymlol

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 04:20:39 pm »
There's nothing wrong with our (doki) releases, and we didn't corrupt your pc. We released ZnT S2 more than 3 years ago. If there were problems with it, someone would have noticed it by now.

edit: The release you mentioned has been download 19979 times (at the time of this writing) on bakabt alone.

edit2: Did you try a clean install of K-Lite? This usually solves playback problems for me.

1. Uninstall all codec packs
2. Reboot (!)
3. Install K-Lite

Of course, that'll only help if you have a faulty installation. The underlying problem (pc freezing and data corruption) is probably completely unrelated (hardware/driver/os).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:44:33 pm by anonymlol »

Offline mrdkreka

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 07:27:03 pm »
Just sharing: MadVR caused more playback-related problems the first time I tried it. I'd rather not stick to it until it actually performed better without the excessive processing requirement.
Why not test if KCP solve your problem, and then lower the setting in MadVR, or just turn it off and use the render you normally use?

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 12:34:40 am »
Why not test if KCP solve your problem, and then lower the setting in MadVR, or just turn it off and use the render you normally use?
It did solve the problem. One problem I faced was MadVR took too much CPU resource, and its too unbearable. Although, I haven't turned off MadVR. How do I do that? Is it the option selected before the installation?

edit2: Did you try a clean install of K-Lite? This usually solves playback problems for me.
1. Uninstall all codec packs
2. Reboot (!)
3. Install K-Lite
This had solve one of the playback problems I had on my desktop. And its your releases too, but it's encoded in HEVC. (ZnT S1)
I had tried several times and will be trying it again. I'll use different versions of KLCP, preferably older. Though, 11.5.0 gave me unsatisfactory result regarding Windows Explorer integration and still failed to play it properly. But the bottleneck was reduced back to regular 30%. The installation of 11.5.0 also affected the reinstallation of 11.0.3 after removing 11.5.0

How do I fully uninstall KLCP + MPC-HC? Something that wouldn't leave things behind on the AppData, ProgramData, nor in the registry. I'd prefer manually doing this.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 01:40:09 am »
Here is what you do. First try installing KCP instead of KLCP, this also include MadVR so you don't have to install that separately. Try playing the videos, and if it work congrats the problem is solved. Also why don't you want to use cccp?
The K-Lite Codec Pack has included madVR for quite a while now.

Some notes for OP:
- Part of the problem may be with madVR, itself, especially regarding H.265 encodes.  Remember, H.265 is quite new and there will be bugs, every now and then.  Did you try swapping to ffdshow instead?  You can do so directly in MPC-HC, in codec settings, or just reinstall the KCP with custom settings (it defaults to MadVR, as I recall).
- MadVR's "exclusive" mode can cause (or solve) many issues.  Have you tried toggling it off/on?
- Do you REALLY need madVR?  It can look better in some cases but honestly, most times I simply cannot tell any difference at all.

Online Bob2004

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 02:05:43 am »
I don't like CCCP because it doesn't provide media information (like resolution, bitrate, audio information, etc.) to Windows Explorer. Which then requires me to use MediaInfo. I use MediaInfo but not all the time so I remove it out of the context menu. One reason is that when I rename, I just right click and press "m". But MediaInfo prevents me that when enabled in the context menu and removing it is the only option. KLCP, on the other hand, is integrated with windows explorer and shows the media information on the file properties. So just right click and "r" is the shortcut and also it supports icon thumbnail of an MKV file which is very convenient.

Just install Icaros yourself and reboot. It comes included in K-Lite by default, but not in CCCP. However, it is only a tiny program, and installing it is but the work of a moment. Do that, and problem solved.

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 12:40:36 pm »
I was able to play things as normally as it should. When I reinstalled, I used ffdshow decoder and Haali media splitter. But the icon isn't looking too good. It was supposed to be showing the video reel and a scene but instead only shows the picture from a frame and the file type icon.

A Sample of it is this:

Supposed to show (reencoded mp4):

What it shows (original mkv):

An option on the Codec tweak tool wasn't very helpful.

And I'm also planning to use MadVR on my desktop. How do I configure it and what should be the configuration?
Desktop Specs:
CPU: AMD A8 6600K (3.9GHz OCed to 4.2GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti (2GB VRAM)
RAM: 8GB
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:59:09 pm by ridon428 »

Offline mrdkreka

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 03:24:45 pm »
It did solve the problem. One problem I faced was MadVR took too much CPU resource, and its too unbearable. Although, I haven't turned off MadVR. How do I do that? Is it the option selected before the installation?
You can do it after.
Options(o) -> Playback -> Output, in the Directshow video dropdown menu you can choose something other than MadVR.

as for setting the MadVR for your build at the link I posted there is a guide for setting to use for low performing build, and in MadVR setting it also have a few tips, also turn of exclusive mode it is quite resource heavy.