Author Topic: Configure MPC-HC for Razer Surround Pro (at 7.1)  (Read 582 times)

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
Configure MPC-HC for Razer Surround Pro (at 7.1)
« on: September 26, 2015, 01:17:23 pm »
Hello there!

I bought a new headset (Razer Kraken Pro) and it ships with a free copy of Razer Surround Pro. It works really well on the preview but I haven't tried playing games or watching a 5.1 movie.

Since it worked at the demo preview and it installed a virtual sound card, Windows detects it as 7.1 channel speaker. And because it is detected like that, I want to try using it to some of my 5.1 channel movies. What I have is K-Lite Codec pack. During installation, I selected the option to use "same as input" option under audio.

How can I ensure that MPC is playing all channels? If possible, can I up mix the current 5.1 to 7.1? How can I test every channel through MPC or the filters itself instead of Windows test audio?

Regarding comments with Razer Surround, it doesn't work well with Adobe Audition. Therefore, not recommended to use this on professional audio editing.

Offline lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
Re: Configure MPC-HC for Razer Surround Pro (at 7.1)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 02:09:43 am »
So, as a G930 user:

1. If the source is stereo, set you HS to stereo, having it mixed/whatever it's called to 7.1 adds a reverb to it.
2. If you use MPCs internal filters for audio you can use the custom channel mapping option in the options menu under internal filters>audio switcher. You can then map channels however you want (including the option to map the same input channel to multiple output channels, which is what you'd need)
3. If you are using an external filter, then open the config of said external filter (in my case LAV Audio config). That's where you'll find mixing options if it has them. In my case, you can't map channels however you want, but there are some mixing options.
4. Since you are using a headset, the drivers are probably mixing everything into a 7.1 format anyway.

Anyway, same as input is probably the best option, unless you know your way around mixing things properly. That way your decoder will give always an output that equals the source (stereo or 5.1) and I believe the mixing is then left to your HS drivers. Ideally it'll at least leave Stereo as Stereo, and probably mix 5.1 into something resembling 7.1 anyway.

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
Re: Configure MPC-HC for Razer Surround Pro (at 7.1)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 03:01:57 am »
I went trying out with one of my 5.1 channel anime movie

It worked somehow. I can hear an increase in the LFE channel but haven't confirmed if it is working. Razer Synapse might have been causing that instead of the actual channel.

EDIT: I've confirmed it's working on ffdshow audio decoder.. I tried muting all channels but one and testing each and every one of them. Seems fine
EDIT2: it's actually being decoded from 5.1 to 5.1.. it's doing things on its own without Razer Surround. And putting Razer Surround to work actually ruins the audio instead of improving it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:22:49 am by ridon428 »