Author Topic: *Staff applications 2015* II take  (Read 6136 times)

Offline JoonasTo

• Upholding traditional values
Re: *Staff applications 2015* II take
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 09:44:43 am »
You've been doing this so often lately that one just can't help but wonder if leaving an open recruitment would be more efficient.

Because we can!

Offline Chiyachan

• Staff
  • Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 11:28:54 pm »
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

I've not been as active as I would have liked to have been recently, but you know, life happens? I've been considering posting here for a while, and spoken to Duki regarding BakaBT too with my concerns and thoughts.
By far, I'm not one of the oldest people on the website. Either in age, or length of time having been here. But there are things I want to mention and point out which I feel are valid.

I've been part of BakaBT since "2008-02-17 23:37:32 (7 years and 8 months and 1 day)".
And in truth, I'd only been active online since ~2005 when I joined a small community focused around our love for Chobits. I've had my username consistently since then and have had countless chances to change it, but have never done so. I'm now almost 27 and still loving this community which accepted me a long time ago, after my original community slowly spread apart (Of the original 7, I only remain in contact with 2).

BakaBT has been there in one way or another for a massive part of my life, the majority of my online time too. It's more than just a community, but a family. There are people I don't get on with, people I argue and disagree with, and them to me too. But at the end of the day, would I trade any of that away? No! (Maybe Havoc10k - I'll happily take a cookie if you want him!)

This website has always been here for me to come back to whenever I wanted, even with my long absences. Hell, I'm soon going to be the longest standing staff member. I already hold the position for "times most recruited".

What I'm trying to say is, BakaBT is a home. And it requires housekeeping. And love, and dedication. There was a post here which was removed not too long ago in which my family was criticized for various failings. Now although I don't agree with the sentiments expressed, I can understand what would cause a person to say what they did. I'll try to explain our side of the argument as clearly as possible, because it really explains quite well what's happening, and why.

"Sounds like shitty management; When the ship starts to sink you close your eyes and hope it'll fix itself, but when it's already half sunk, first then you start the ballast pumps.
Seems like a problem every single year. Recruit more staff. Stop this condescending approach of 'you have to come to us and beg us to hire you, we won't approach you'. It's no wonder really."

Not once do I feel we've closed our eyes to issues. We know what the problems are, and how to fix them. But when you run a site like BBT, there are INSANE restrictions we have to keep in place to ensure our privacy remains secure, and the site kept running. The reason we recruit every year is completely a different issue. People join our family at all different stages of their life. And as life changes, so do priorities and time management abilities. Other times people join the staff list, but decide that the work does suit them. Remember, this is *work*, it's not a game or fun. My role is to ban accounts on a daily basis. If I let it pile up, it can easily take 2-3 hours on a weekend to catch up. That's just one role, the easiest role - I've got it because I'm flaky with my time but my love for everybody here keeps me around. The people who do the comparisons, bloody hell, they're amazing machines which donate 10+ hours a week, FREE OF CHARGE to ensure new content added to the site is of the best quality.

And what's with setting demands for the users who try to apply? Why the hell don't the management involve themselves in the community and get to know the users. Then obvious candidates will pop out, and even if they don't meet the requirements of knowing everything there is to know about this really fucking roundabaout offer system and it's requirements and demands, the management should be able to teach them that. And don't give me any crap about management being "too busy", they're never too busy, they're always just being lazy, and become of a mindset where if it isn't critical, it can wait indefinitely. Been there, done that.

First off, I hate that this is the impression given. We are in the community, we post often and we all have our various areas of interest. And yes, candidates DO pop out from time to time. We invite them to join us if they wish to. I remember when I first got brought in. Jarudin invited me to become staff because of my knack of finding problems with code and pointing them out to get them fixed.

Yes, the offer system could be improved, but there are more important things to work on. We've had it working and it works. That's the important part. Remember, the ENTIRE site was built from the ground-up by BakaBT staff. It's not a download and run package. That was time and effort put into having it function as it does. We'd love to have it better, but we can't buy a coder to do it. We have to rely on people that:
1) don't want payment.
2) we can trust with the website code.
3) ain't scumbags.
It's not as easy as you make out.

If people don't meet all our requirements, we do train them too. We do our best to mold people into ideal cogs to mesh with us. But although you may think of us as lazy, you also need to bare in mind that BakaBT isn't our day job. We have jobs, girlfriend/boyfriends, social obligations. Basically, real life. We're not on BakaBT 24/7. We need people to join us that can easily slip in, and just be given a polish. We don't have the time to spend 20-30 hours to get somebody up to speed, only to find they don't actually want to do the work.

I really don't understand why anyone would apply to this crap. If they really need staff, then they should come and ask users they see as candidates themselves. Since they fail to be able to do that, that should say a lot about the type of people making decisions here.
That's just my rant, after many years of seeing the same high-and-mighty condescending crap "We need staff. If you can work miracles, come beg us to hire you".

We do invite people to join us, as stated previously. But why not invite anybody else to join us that we may have missed? We're a community and can't always chat to everybody. I see some people have signed up JUST to apply. That's fucking awesome in my opinion. I wish that guy the best of luck as he's putting the effort to assist a community he appreciates.

So, in short, I appreciate your comments although they were removed, but we don't see ourselves as high and mighty. But we worked hard to give good impressions and get to the place we're at. We enjoy overseeing this community through its ups and downs. We love the people, downloads, seeders and leechers alike. We want the community to live for a much longer time. Although it seems we're reaching a point where that may no longer be possible with the ease of streaming, and lack of people willing to put in the time and effort to keep everything running. BakaBT may eventually be a shell of what it used to be, but the community, my family will always be here in one form of another waiting to welcome me back.

That's why I stay with BakaBT, and love it so dearly. <3
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:30:37 pm by Chiyachan »
Quote from: Enzedder
I agree that its a lounge but its not a supergay lounge.
'Onest, I'm a super cute gal. Befriend me? ;D

Offline Morellet

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 10:21:33 pm »
Everyone who's applied sounds great to me. :D
Jessie's even too modest and didn't mention that they're an encoder too!

Offline lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 01:28:52 am »
Let's get one more in, if only to give the recruiters a charade of a choice.

I've been a member since high school, and I think I originally came to the site in search of anime releases. Since I came fresh from streams I didn't care that much about quality back then. By now I've grown to love the site much less for anime, but instead for complete manga offers and soundtracks (though I've been consuming those much less in recent times). I also learned a few (probably) useful things on these forums.

Anyway, right now I'm a 21 (soon-to-be 22) yo med student in hungary (and if all goes well I'll finish in 3.5 years). Aside from my anime/manga related hobbies, I like playing the piano, though I haven't had proper access to one in recent years. I also read lot's of sci-fi and fantasy novels, which is probably the reason for my light novel fetish and I also have a penchant for collecting useless things.

I think I'm reasonably familiar with the wiki and the offer system, although I mostly offer novels. I'm not really familiar  adoptions, though I plan on adopting a few things that interest me personally. I'm not really familiar with comparisons, but I think I can manage to learn what there is to learn. I can however spot most serious artifacts and I think I know what should be prioritized in the decision-making process. I sadly don't know any japanese, so I can't make any comparisons on a translation level (well I do know a little, but I can barely introduce myself, ask for directions and the time).

I can somewhat read html, CSS and Javascript, but I can't code. I can take code snippets and put them together to some effect. Technically I had programming (haskell, pascal, java) classes until 11th grade, but most of that is gone by now.

I have a seedbox for my regular seeding, however when I want to seed something without a bandwidth limit I use my home connection. At 120/60 Mbps it's more than good enough.

I tend to be a respectable person, though some might dispute that. I try to finish what I start, but don't always succeed. Aside from being fluent in english, I also speak german and arabic fluently (can't read the latter though). I can somewhat make my way through life with my french and hungarian knowledge. You don't really find me on IRC, but I do occasionally use it to obtain releases. That said I don't mind using it, I just don't have a reason to right now.

I like the site and I have time to spend. I'm idling 2-3 hours every weekday, more on weekends, on top of my usual free time. There will be times that I will be nigh unavailable (e.g. when I start an experiment, I might loose a couple of weekdays for 3 weeks in a row).

@Xemnarth: Just apply despite being rejected. Maybe it's a test.

Offline Chopin

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 12:54:50 pm »
Saw this was still open, figure I might as well give it a shot.

My main reason for wanting to join the staff is to help go through some of the offers. Although I don't actually have any experience doing comparisons, I believe I could pick it up fairly easily. I'm a music major (audio production) and English minor (creative writing) so I don't think it'd be a problem learning the ropes for audio and sub comparison. I currently work part time in a studio doing audio remastering, which involves a lot listening for audio artifacts and any other extraneous noises which could be at all distracting to listeners. On the English side of things, I was an editor on my school's literary magazine, and had a piece published in it as well. I'm a pretty decent editor and I believe that would help a lot in comparing the quality of the subtitles. I know those skills may not translate directly to what needs to be done here but I think they're a good base to start with.

As for the other requirements, I'm fairly familiar with the Wiki and not opposed to re-reading it a few times to brush up. I've also looked into the offer system a few times but never found anything to upload that wasn't taken. I have made one adoption before and do plan on making a request or two over the weekend on a few manga I enjoy. Can't really say I've ever really been active on the forums, made a few posts here and there, but I've got no issues with popping in to check up on comparison threads and whatnot. I do know how to use IRC although it was been a while since I've used it so I may need to read the basics over just to be sure. I'm not super familiar with html, know the basics but I can't do anything fancy with it. My internet connection is fairly good as well, 20-50 mbp/s most days. I live in the US, Mountain Time (GMT -7) and am usually more active at night. Not sure if that matters or not since this is a pretty international community but it might make a difference when trying to communicate with people.

Offline pikolo

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 07:51:08 pm »
7 Staff applications and not even one    - I ♥ Chiya image -

Blasphemy........... :no:

Offline DefyingChick

• its 'Defying Chicken', but no matter ^^
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 09:50:40 pm »

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 11:55:50 pm »
Here, something more... creative. XD

Anime: Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?

Offline DefyingChick

• its 'Defying Chicken', but no matter ^^
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 12:24:20 am »
Chiya loves me either way ..b-baka !

Offline Nodame-chan

• Staff
  • コ・イ・シ・テ・ル
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 12:34:18 am »
I'm sure Chiya appreciates all the love he gets from the members, but please keep on topic. :)
君は忘れるの?
This is what YOU are