Author Topic: Best over-ear headphones under £140  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Msiku

• ok
Best over-ear headphones under £140
« on: October 26, 2015, 04:15:40 pm »
I've been looking at some sennheiser 598's but apparently
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K550-Closed-Back-Headphones-Compatible-Black/dp/B005CNR7B0
are really good for their price, and it would leave me some money for other things

pls to halp, no idea if this should be in the tech section

Some things to note:
  • don't care about open/closed, although open sounds a bit nicer to me
  • I'm not a lover of bass, but I still dont mind it
  • I don't care about the looks, just make sure I can stick a modmic on them (so they need a flat central surface of about 5mm x 5mm on the left cup)
  • I have £120, and would like to spend under that, I can wait until I have £140 though
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 04:18:56 pm by Msiku »

Offline Hadouken

Re: Best over-ear headphones under £140
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 07:16:10 pm »
Samson sr8/950 or Superlux 681 evo. Two of the best headphones you can get for less than a hundred and they're both semi open. Not sure about the boom mic though.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:21:58 pm by Hadouken »

Offline Msiku

• ok
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 08:41:31 pm »
Superlux 681 evo

i have basically the exact same headphones now

my budget is £140, not £40

Offline DefyingChick

• its 'Defying Chicken', but no matter ^^
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:47:54 pm »
dunno what they cost in england, but AT WS-99 are really great.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:52:23 pm »

Offline Msiku

• ok
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 10:06:28 pm »
i have a modmic xd

its a mic with adhesive which you can stick to a pair of headphones

Offline DefyingChick

• its 'Defying Chicken', but no matter ^^
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 10:22:27 pm »
I use the ws-99 with a modmic, it's great

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:46:28 pm »
HDs 598 are great. However they are tuned to sound good for someone who is a bit of a music snob. They won't really have any punch, which if you enjoy more modern styles is a must to have, something like the the AT M50x might suit you better.

Also, do note that the perception of quality is logarithmic, you won't notice a "massive" gain by upgrading from good midrange phones, which you apparently already have.

Offline Msiku

• ok
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 11:03:51 pm »
They won't really have any punch, which if you enjoy more modern styles is a must to have,
is the akg k550 worth £20 more than the m50x?

the k550s look a whole lot nicer.

I've tried some sennheiser hd 280 pros and they sound really tinny compared to my superlux. Is this common with most closed backs or just that model?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:13:56 pm by Msiku »

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 11:29:35 pm »
There are generalities. But ultimately the sound stage depends on the tuning. Best look at a review at headfi and look for comments for it.

Hard to say, haven't heard anything by AKG, the M50x is basically the mainstream option for mid level hifi. If you are unsure about what you want and just want good headphones, go with them.

Offline mrdkreka

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 11:37:10 pm »
I would also give a vote to AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M50x, the DG version looks great imo, and man they sound awesome.

These two videos are probably worth watching for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEjwyYOFwZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6hqIt66fRM
"Nothing is either good or bad, only thinking makes it so." - William Shakespeare

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 11:43:53 pm »
Yeah, I read that you had that but I've never heard of them and I googled them and they look kinda crappy so I just recommended a pair with a proper mic. xD...

I had Sennheiser HD515's for years and years and they were super comfy. I got them for just $54 too. The ones I recommended feel exactly the same. The new version is the HD 518 and they're $68 http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-Headphones-Black/dp/B0042A68R8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

After 5 years of heavy use one of the ear pieces on my HD 515's snapped off. I would have just gotten them repaired but the repair costs from Sennheiser were more expensive than just buying a new pair of headphones instead.

An ear snapping off has been the death of all of my headphones thus far. So, it's kind of expected to me at this point. It'd be better to find a pair of headphones that have heavy duty metal that holds on the ear pieces rather than plastic because you'd probably never have to replace them. I suspect that's why they don't make them like that, it defeats their business model.

Offline bunalz

• Loneliness is a deadly poison which robs the soul.
    • Tracker Profile *REMAKE*
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 01:33:21 am »
Some things to note:
  • don't care about open/closed, although open sounds a bit nicer to me
  • I'm not a lover of bass, but I still dont mind it
  • I don't care about the looks, just make sure I can stick a modmic on them (so they need a flat central surface of about 5mm x 5mm on the left cup)
  • I have £120, and would like to spend under that, I can wait until I have £140 though

Your criteria are still too general. Other important ones to put up in the list there:
  • What sources will you be plugging them into? BD/DVD players, Laptop/PC, portables, etc?
  • Are you using them in private places (home for example), or on the move (i.e public)?
  • Main purpose (general/music/gaming VS monitoring/muxing/isolation)? Though, speakers are the better ones for the latter... :P
I doubt you're using any amplifiers (at least, based on your posts), if that's true, you should stick to K550 and not the HD598 (its impedance is a bit lower). And depending on your answers to the above questions, you'll find it better than the M50x. (I currently owned AD900x, and planned to get M50x to see how well the headphones do for transcription use. Besides, I need a pair of closed-back and that detachable cords, anyway)

Do enough research if you're the paranoid type. :police:

Offline Msiku

• ok
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 03:25:46 am »
I'll be using my mobo/pc and some laptops.

Ill be using it at home. (hence the not caring about open/closed)

music/gaming and not monitoring or isolation.

I may get an amp or a DAC in the future, but a detachable cord is quite useful since i need a quite long cable and need to switch from my pc, to my laptop or phone.

Offline bunalz

• Loneliness is a deadly poison which robs the soul.
    • Tracker Profile *REMAKE*
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 08:24:46 am »
Ill be using it at home. (hence the not caring about open/closed)
Well, the open cans have the driver placed outside and will act like a pair of mini speakers, so the sound leakage will definitely attract other members in the house if you're listening in the living room, for instance. However, the opposite is also true. When the surrounding is noisy, the clarity of whatever you're listening to will be affected (not really apparent, but noticeable nonetheless).

mobo/pc and some laptops[...]I may get an amp or a DAC in the future
I don't know how much benefit the headphones mentioned here will get (except the HD598), especially when your sources aren't really that weak (except maybe your phone?) but good luck, anyway. IMO, it'll be better in the long run to combine that money to reach the next range: AD900x is only around £160 (at UK or JP Amazon, not US) and will do just fine without an amp.

music/gaming and not monitoring or isolation[...]but a detachable cord is quite useful since i need a quite long cable and need to switch from my pc, to my laptop or phone.
Only if you don't mind with the small soundstage (compared to K550, being the same closed-backs).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:21:16 pm by bunalz »

Offline Msiku

• ok
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 01:04:40 am »
went for the AD900x

£115 on ebay new (hopefully)

Offline vuzedome

• Reppuzan~!
  • Awards Winner of the BakaBT Mahjong tournament 2010
    • GoGreenToday
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 01:07:33 pm »
Audio Technica is always the way to go.
BBT Ika Musume Fan Club Member #000044   
Misaka Mikoto Fan Club Member #000044
BBT Duke Nukem Fan Club Member #0000002

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 08:59:46 am »
I picked up a pair of ear protectors with a radio and audio Jack in them. They're really comfy and I can listen to my music while I'mshooting or doing metalworking.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.