Author Topic: MPC stutters with some overlays  (Read 905 times)

Offline kenshin-dono

• I'm on a boat!!!
MPC stutters with some overlays
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:10:51 am »
Hey guys, had a question. My father has a HTPC in his setup thats a few years old. Its some AMD based HTPC he got from dell or something a few years back. I've been using it to watch some stuff with my niece (she loves Umara-chan, lol) it stutters and hangs up sometimes when theres a scene with overlays. Such as a lot of karoke, or translated text and stuff like that. Any ideas on some settings i can mess with to try to fix this? I googled it and saw suggestions to disable V-sync but that didn't seem to help

Using CCCP and MPC btw. and EVR custom i think
"I've lived in darkness a long time. Over the years, my eyes adjusted until the dark became my world and I could see"-Dexter

Offline Al_Sleeper

Re: MPC stutters with some overlays
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:19:02 am »
Which subtitle renderer do you use? ISR?

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 09:47:09 pm »
Sounds like a subtitle renderer issue.
Do you know the specs of the media PC?

Have you considered the Kawaii Codec Pack (KCP) instead of CCCP? I find better playback on lower end devices using KCP

Offline kenshin-dono

• I'm on a boat!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 02:51:48 am »
umm i have no idea what subtitle renderer im using. Whatever the heck CCCP uses by default? Never messed with it. I dont know them off the top of my head, all i know is he has an AMD based system. I'll look them up after turkey day to see what they are

Also never heard of the KCP. Where can i get it? Does it work as well as CCCP?
"I've lived in darkness a long time. Over the years, my eyes adjusted until the dark became my world and I could see"-Dexter

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 03:31:18 am »
If you have "Use the built-in subtitle renderer" checked on Playback page of MPC config options, you are using ISR.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 03:36:55 am »
umm i have no idea what subtitle renderer im using. Whatever the heck CCCP uses by default? Never messed with it. I dont know them off the top of my head, all i know is he has an AMD based system. I'll look them up after turkey day to see what they are

Also never heard of the KCP. Where can i get it? Does it work as well as CCCP?
KCP was designed to replace CCCP. Most users report positively on it.

Where can you get it? I gave you the full name and abbreviation. Google is a start.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kcp

First result: http://haruhichan.com/forum/showthread.php?7545-KCP-Kawaii-Codec-Pack
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:38:34 am by Krudda »

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 02:58:35 pm »
Googling kcp gets me all sorts of results first such as www.kcpinternational.com, The Khmer Communist Party and www.kcp.co.in

So use this link instead when telling people to google it instead Krudda
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kcp+pack

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 07:04:36 pm »
Thats odd, because it shows up as the first result for me on a device I've never previously searched for KCP on. Infact, I've never searched for KPC until yesterday, I was given a link through IRC some time ago.

Oh well. I do find that strange though.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 08:57:50 pm »
I use Shark007 personally. It's the only one that renders thumbnails properly. Also, what you need to do is turn on VSFilter Subpicture Pre-Buffering.

Offline kenshin-dono

• I'm on a boat!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 03:20:19 am »
So specs on the computer ar AMD P.henom II p940 with 8 gigs of ram.

If i decide to try the KCP do i need to go in and uninstall the CCCP drivers and junk or can i just run it over them? Not sure if it would cause conflcts. Idealy id be able to just tweak some settings first to try to fix it before i go messing around with that stuff. So any suggestions on what i can try tweaking? I guess i'll try turning on vsfilter subpicture pre buffering next time i turn it on first

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:28 pm »
It is just about ALWAYS a good idea to uninstall any and all previous codec packs, before installing a new one.  If you keep doing "dirty" installs, eventually you are quite likely to experience some rather odd issues with codecs ^^' .

Also, it's probably a good idea to NOT use LAV filters (if offered with w/e codec pack you settle on; I use the K-Lite codec pack) on an older, weaker PC; they're higher quality but can be a significantly heavier CPU load.  Try using ffdshow instead, if you haven't already.  Ffdshow also has a significantly better UI than the LAV filters, imo.