Author Topic: The Dominion  (Read 1665 times)

Offline VexHaus

• fnord
Re: The Dominion
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 12:41:31 pm »
If that's supposed to be a quote from HERE, then it's actually pretty grossly out of context (and also slightly misquoted to begin with), because he's basically saying the first amendment prohibits government from meddling in the practice of religion, and he was saying this in response to several pastors in Houston being served subpoenas, and a lot of people at the time were claiming the subpoenas were being used to intimidate politically active Christians in Houston. He was not at all implying that government establishing an official state religion was fine and dandy

Then again, it should also be noted that the subpoenas themselves have apparently been grossly misrepresented in the news media as well because they were ostensibly supposed to be about how congregations were instructed on signature collection and whether they followed the proper procedures rather than trying being an example of government trying to dictate what can be preached from the pulpit.

Then again again, I've also seen how subpoenas can still be used as tools of political intimidation under the pretense of investigation, considering how some folks I knew ended up getting their doors busted down, houses raided, and served subpoenas by FBI agents at gunpoint because they all self-identified as anarchists, and a federal courthouse in another city in another state was vandalized during May Day, soooooooooooo they *obviously* must know something and were summoned to grand juries to testify about a lot of seemingly irrelevant stuff, and they were sent to prison for refusing to answer general questions about friends, acquaintances, and politics in what amounted to a really broad political mapping dragnet, until several months later a judge looked at all that had happened and was like, "Yeah, this is actually some bullshit," and they were freed.

True story.

Then again again again, Christianity's probably one of the last things I'd ever expect to actually be cracked down on, suppressed, or oppressed in thee US ov A, anyway
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:44:18 pm by VexHaus »
Illuminaughty

MAL

Offline Semnae

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 02:38:37 pm »
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:41:39 pm by Semnae »

Offline VexHaus

• fnord
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 03:46:21 pm »
Saying that religion is a big part of your life and the lives of many of your colleagues and that you believe a big grassroots religious revival would address a number of social ills that government can't or won't help is still a far cry from suggesting the first amendment be overridden in favor of enshrining political power in the church as a new branch of government
Illuminaughty

MAL

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 05:43:10 am »
Can't we theists, atheists and undecideds just sit down have a brew and call out individuals for being dickheads instead of blaming their entire belief structure? Tom who's a Christian is OK, he doesn't talk down to Steve who is an Atheist. However Bob who is also a "Christian" ignores all that "Love thy neighbor" crap and goes on a tirade about how Steve is going to Hell and so are all his friends.

Now Tom face palming while going through his Facebook feed watching this whole unholy war unravel  between Bob, Steve and their friends. Then people start to lump everyone up into column A or column B. Thanks to Bob, Tom can't hang out with Steve to watch the Season premiere of Game of Thrones. All because someone opened their pie hole without thinking of others.

So I say ignore Bob and those like him, come on over to my place and we can play the GoT drinking game. Or if you're up for a classic smash bros ass whoopin, lets do it!

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline Semnae

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 09:42:53 am »
Here's a quote from a candidate just as creepy as Trump.

"If I'm elected as your next president, my administration will help us reclaim the moral high ground. We'll make church attendance mandatory..." -Ted Cruz
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:43:27 am by Semnae »

Offline VexHaus

• fnord
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 09:59:41 am »
Here's a quote from a candidate just as creepy as Trump.

"If I'm elected as your next president, my administration will help us reclaim the moral high ground. We'll make church attendance mandatory..." -Ted Cruz

http://nationalreport.net/ted-cruz-adds-mandatory-church-platform-inspiring-words-sylvia-allen/

Disclaimer: National Report is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within National Report are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental. Advice given is NOT to be construed as professional. If you are in need of professional help, please consult a professional. National Report is not intended for children under the age of 18.
Illuminaughty

MAL

Offline Semnae

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 10:37:57 am »
My mistake. It sure looks like a legit article. Why would anyone make such realistic satire? Satire is supposed to be funny.

How embarrassing. Now I feel like a dumbass.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:57:42 am by Semnae »

Offline Fool010

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 11:07:27 am »
My mistake. It sure looks like a legit article. Why would anyone make such realistic satire? Satire is supposed to be funny.

How embarrassing. Now I feel like a dumbass.

Poe's law. Having to decode everything you read or hear gets tiresome in the long run, some lapses here and there are understandable. Besides, a real dumbass wouldn't feel like a dumbass. He would feel ... nothing, in fact.

That part though "We know we want exemptions for Americans in the top tax bracket, because they work harder than anyone else and can’t be forced to lose those precious work hours, unlike the people in the lower tax brackets, who could use a few less hours each week watching reality TV. And military servicemen would probably be exempt too.” should've rung some bells.

I may be an ocean away but it's kinda hard to believe, even coming from an american politician.

PS : that bit is actually funny
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:13:35 am by Fool010 »
Who needs a signature anyway ?

MAL               last.fm

Offline VexHaus

• fnord
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 11:54:07 am »
Yeah I don't get the fake news phenomenon either, like maybe just clickbait? To drive... ad traffic maybe? idk, I wouldn't sweat it if I were you, dude.

Poe's law can still be funny though. I try to live by a simple rule:

Unless proven otherwise, never attribute to stupidity or malice that which can be adequately explained by internet trolling.
Illuminaughty

MAL

Offline from

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 10:42:04 pm »
Can't we theists, atheists and undecideds just sit down have a brew and call out individuals for being dickheads instead of blaming their entire belief structure? Tom who's a Christian is OK, he doesn't talk down to Steve who is an Atheist. However Bob who is also a "Christian" ignores all that "Love thy neighbor" crap and goes on a tirade about how Steve is going to Hell and so are all his friends.
So Tom's a "Christian", who believes that only through belief in Jesus can hell be avoided, and he isn't doing everything in his power to help his fellow man avoid eternal judgement? How "Christian" of him.

If I sincerely believed non-belief in the Easter bunny would condemn people to eternal torture, I'd be indoctrinating children, trying to convince others and hiding eggs like crazy. Anything else would be horribly egocentric of me, since I'm already safe from never-ending torment.

If you only pay your religion lip-service and really couldn't give a f*ck, then just drop the concept altogether, already.

And if you're a horribly egocentric piece of Christian smugness, please die.

Bob, though deluded, actually cares about his fellow men, Steve in particular. So give the guy a break. And a straitjacket.

Offline Tanis

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2015, 11:20:44 pm »
The problem with religion is the books.

The same books many who claim to follow the faith never seem to read.

How anyone can stay with their religion, knowing the facts about what was done in its' history and name.
The content of the book(s) that are supposedly words of god either directly or inspired.
Is beyond me.

And I say this coming from an upbringing of Roman Catholic and Southern Baptist.
I say this coming from, at one point, I wanted BE a part of the church, be it nun, priest, or something else.

But, having READ multiple versions of the bible.
-And multiple versions of the Torah, Koran, Vishnu, etc.
Having LEARNED the history of Christianity and it's various sects.
Having SEEN, first hand both the good and the ill it brings.

I, personally, can't in clear or good conscience side with ANY religion.
I'm not willing to LIE or dishonor myself to fit in with the majority.

Even though, in most places I've lived, it has put a target on my back whenever someone finds out.

Even though multiple family members have disowned me, friendships ended, and potential life partners broken up with me when they found out.

So, if you can do it?
Well, good luck I guess.

Just remember, religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
I's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't play with it in public.
And please, for the love of gawd, don't shove it down a child's throat.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:32:01 am by Tanis »

Offline VexHaus

• fnord
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2015, 11:51:57 pm »
Just remember, religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
I's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't play with it in public.
And please, for the love of gawd, shove it down a child's throat.

It may be presumptuous of me, but I think there's supposed to be another "don't" somewhere in that last line :whistle:
Illuminaughty

MAL

Offline Tanis

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 01:34:27 am »
mock along, mock along.

It may be presumptuous of me, but I think there's supposed to be another "don't" somewhere in that last line :whistle:
I have NO idea what you're talking about.

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2015, 03:37:16 am »
From, you take my words falsely and twist them to your own means.  I offered friendship and some measure of peace so that everyone can see that not everyone on this planet is a jerk.  If you need further clarification, then here.

So Tom's a "Christian", who believes that only through belief in Jesus can hell be avoided, and he isn't doing everything in his power to help his fellow man avoid eternal judgement? How "Christian" of him.

It's called free will.  We all have it and forcing any religion on a person will never work because the moment you turn your back, they're gone.  If you really want someone to join then all you have to do is be welcoming and informative about your beliefs and what the requirements of said religion are.

If I sincerely believed non-belief in the Easter bunny would condemn people to eternal torture, I'd be indoctrinating children, trying to convince others and hiding eggs like crazy. Anything else would be horribly egocentric of me, since I'm already safe from never-ending torment.

Again, Free Will.  It even says so in the Bible, "Whoever does not receive you, nor heed your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet. "Truly I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city"

If you only pay your religion lip-service and really couldn't give a f*ck, then just drop the concept altogether, already.

The problem is that I DO care.  I also respect the choices that all men make in regard to their own path in life.  If you don't want to come with me, then that is your choice and I cannot judge you for making it. 

And if you're a horribly egocentric piece of Christian smugness, please die.

That's a contradiction of ideals there.  To be Christian is to be for God and the needs of others.  To be Egocentric is to only think of yourself.  If that sounds smug to you then I'm sorry, but communicating through type instead of vocalizations does tend to alter how a message can be delivered.  If you need a good example, the Key and Peele scetch is the one I usually use.

Bob, though deluded, actually cares about his fellow men, Steve in particular. So give the guy a break. And a straitjacket.

Bob may care, or he may not.  He is however going against the tenets of his own faith which does happen far too often these days.  That's why some religions have reconciliation services.  I know Catholics do, and I think that Eastern Orthodox as well as the Jewish faith practice it.

To wrap it up, I think I'll borrow a line from George Carlin.  "Be excellent to each other."

Offline Semnae

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 03:26:34 am »
Necroing this thread due to the relevance following Trump's election. Do you still think I'm nuts cap?

"Does it ever wake you in the middle of the night? The feeling that one day they will pass that foolish law or one just like it and come for you, and your children?" -Magneto

The America I love is quickly becoming something I don't recognize any more. The time has come to put together a serious bug-out plan. Here are a few questions to consider:

1. Fight or flight? In a worst case scenario, would you flee the country or take up arms? This seems like a no brainer to me. You may think I'm cowardly, but standing up against the might of the US military is suicide.

2. Where do you draw the line in the sand? At what point would you decide it is time to flee or fight? For me, it would be the rounding up of non-Christians. Once people start getting put in camps, it only gets worse from there. It also might be wise to consider bugging out before becoming included in a non-Christian registry which could be used as a no-fly list preventing my escape.

3. What do you put in your bug-out bag? You need enough to survive until you get settled where ever you are going. Passports and money should be a given. If you had to get out of the country in a hurry, what would you bring with you?

4. Where would you go? This is perhaps the most difficult question. Where ever you go, you need to not be refused entry or deported and be able to find employment in a short amount of time. In the long term, you would need to become a citizen. The country you emigrate to needs to be somewhere you and you family can thrive. My family and I seem to disagree on where we would go. My family and I only speak English, so we would likely face more hardship in non-English speaking countries. My parents want to head for Canada, my wife would prefer Great Britain, and I'm thinking about the warm, more secular nations of Australia or New Zealand. None of us have narrowed it down to an actual city. Slavbard has been mentioned on the forum before, but it's way too cold for me.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 04:33:48 am »
1. Flight. Literally. Like, on a plane.
2. TBD. Likely something like Islamic internment camps similar to the Japanese ones of the 40's in the US. There are however a lot of other things that would also be big red flags
3. Lots of clothes and at least a few pairs of shoes. A laptop. All my HDD's.
4. Seeing as to how we're talking about an "oh shit" scenario many countries would likely allow Americans to gain citizenship through refugee status and living in said country for x number of years.

If you just need to get the hell out of dodge go to one of the "Schengen Area" countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech, Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland. As an American you can stay anywhere in that area for 90 days but it's all counted as one country in terms of that time limit. Once those 90 days are up you need to spend 90 days out of the area before you can come back. It's a max of 90 days in a 180 day period.

So once your 90 days are up you just need to go to one of the European countries that aren't in the Schengen Area: United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) — 180 days, Republic of Ireland — 90 days, Romania — 90 day, Croatia — 90 days, Ukraine — 90 days.

I would, however, only use the above as a stop-gap for a longer termed solution: Enroll in a European university. Full-time foreign students are granted visas to complete their studies. There are many university courses taught completely in English throughout Europe (but your options will increase if you speak the local language). Additionally, a few countries charge foreign students the same tuition as its citizens — which can be as low as a few hundred euros a year. Once you have a visa, you are free to move around any EU country without hassle. It isn’t exactly uncommon for students to pay the super cheap tuition, get their student visa, and then just travel and never actually go to school.

There are many full-time foreign language courses in Europe that will enable you to get a student visa — this is a nice option if you want to learn a foreign language and travel on the weekends and holidays. These courses normally don’t follow the same tuition guidelines as normal European Universities, so they’re more expensive. For example, the intensive 25 hour/week French language course through the Sorbonne in Paris will cost about €2900 for a semester. However, student visa holders are often entitled to work part-time. There are many options available throughout Europe, but you’ll have to scour the web. The plus side to going that route is if you plan on eventually trying to live in one of those countries permanently then it's a good idea to learn the language anyways. It'll make it much easier to get a job, among other things.

As a worst case scenario, just enter the Schengen zone and overstay beyond the 90 days illegally. There are no border checks between the Schengen member countries. So if you were to travel from France to Germany nobody would look at your passport whether you're European or not. You should however avoid trains, because there are immigration officials on trains sometimes. Once you do decide to leave, if you've overstayed, don't leave from any of the Scandinavian countries, Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, or Poland because they're all pretty big on checking the length of time you've been in the area. France, Italy, and Greece seem to be the most relaxed with their immigration. They sometimes don’t even stamp passports of people entering on flights straight from the US. Additionally, they seem to never even look at the passports of outgoing travelers. Obviously, I would avoid doing any of the options in this paragraph unless it were indeed a worst case scenario. If you do take that route however, you might look into CouchSurfing.

I would however likely opt for somewhere like Svalbard before resorting to the above paragraph, which I'd only do if enrolling in a European university fell through. The reason that enrolling in a European university would be my "go to" plan is because it's generally cheap and somewhat easy - some countries even supply you a stipend to live off of - and you're learning transferable skills once the shitfest ends. If you have to run away from the US for 4+ years then you may as well get another degree. Something you may have been interested in but never really had the time to go back to school for, or maybe try out a different career path you'd always considered instead of your current one. Or something more practical, like adding realistic skills to your chosen career path's resume - like additional more specialized degrees in your relevant field. At the very least just taking a full time language program would be useful if you do plan to reside in the host country permanently after the US goes to hell.

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 07:43:45 am »
Necroing this thread due to the relevance following Trump's election. Do you still think I'm nuts cap?

I always think you're nuts Sem, but that's one of the things I like about you.  You're nuts, I'm nuts....we're all a bunch of nutjobs!  For example, there was the time I got banned for spamming your articles with a simple "Boobies" a long time ago.  Why?  Because I thought you needed to lighten up and it cracked me up...Boobies.... :laugh:

"Does it ever wake you in the middle of the night? The feeling that one day they will pass that foolish law or one just like it and come for you, and your children?" -Magneto

" I feel a great swell of pity for the poor soul who comes to that school... looking for trouble." -Professor X. 

How many times have we seen laws passed and then swiftly declared "Unconstitutional" by the courts? 

I always preferred the quote from Captain America:

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." -Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man #537

The American government is designed to stymie and choke power for as long as possible.  We complain that Congress sat twiddling it's thumbs for eight years, but think on this.  The last time that the government passed a bill quickly through both the House and Senate was the Patriot Act.  The system of government is designed to take longer to implement things so that we don't rashly rush into some horrible mistake and whenever we try to circumvent the system, we get Patriot Acts.  So the way to fight back against those who would rob our country of it's culture, it's "soul" if you will, is to stand up and say, "No, you move."

The America I love is quickly becoming something I don't recognize any more. The time has come to put together a serious bug-out plan.

America always has been and always will be the same.  The players will shift around all over the map and eventually we will think of something better than the two party system. However if you leave and don't contribute, you're actually helping those that you oppose.  I could quote Burke, but everyone knows that quote so I'll save the screen space.

1. Fight or flight? In a worst case scenario, would you flee the country or take up arms? This seems like a no brainer to me. You may think I'm cowardly, but standing up against the might of the US military is suicide.

Who said anything about standing in Times Square (...What is Texas' equivalent of Times Square?) face to face with the 101st Airborne and shouting, "Come on if you think you're hard enough!"?  While that would be hilarious to see, (Bonus points if you're dressed like Simon or Kamina from Gurren Lagann)  It wouldn't work.  The United States and the rest of the free world defeated the Soviet Union not with guns and bombs and nukes, but with sanctions and diplomacy...by talking. 

2. Where do you draw the line in the sand? At what point would you decide it is time to flee or fight? For me, it would be the rounding up of non-Christians. Once people start getting put in camps, it only gets worse from there. It also might be wise to consider bugging out before becoming included in a non-Christian registry which could be used as a no-fly list preventing my escape.

If we rounded up the Non-Christians, we would have to start with the President Elect and Vice President Elect.  Because if you read the definition of Christianity, then Trump and Pence aren't even in the same ball park.  As to the camps, if we didn't start it right after 9-11, the absolute height of Islamophobia then there's no way we're going to start that now.  We've come a long way as a nation in these last few years.  Let me ask you this question, If Trump hadn't run for president, would we even be having this conversation right now?  Most likely not, but that's a topic for an entirely different thread and just the opening would probably stretch two or three pages.

3. What do you put in your bug-out bag? You need enough to survive until you get settled where ever you are going. Passports and money should be a given. If you had to get out of the country in a hurry, what would you bring with you?

If we're playing a bug out game, then here's my list of go to stuff:

-Plastic Bottle with filter straw.  Those things come in really handy when you're in rural areas and cities/towns with poor water quality.
-Solar Charger for my Ipod/Phone/Tablet. I know that different countries have different electrical standards and outlets, so with the solar charging portable battery I'm good for anywhere.
-Toiletries (Soap, Toothpaste and brush, floss, Antibiotic cream, bandaids, and a small bottle of Naproxen as Ibuprofen doesn't work on me.)
-My Ipod/Tablet.  I have a digital copy of most of my Scifi books as well as my Manga Collection.
-Spare Micro SD card with some of my favorite anime shows as well as Looney Tunes.  You always need some Bugs Bunny and some Cowboy Bebop.  Now There's a series I would LOVE to see!
-Bible. It keeps me humble, well versed in my religion so that if someone wants a conversation about it, I can at least hold up my end and not just sit there and nod.  Also mine's small but has a semi-hardcover, so that I can use it as a platform when I'm writing notes on scrap paper.
-Earbuds.  Let's face it, not everyone will share my tastes in music...also we all have those guilty pleasure songs that are embarrassing as crap.
-My childhood stuffed toy dog.  Makes a great travel pillow as well as a conversation piece.

4. Where would you go? This is perhaps the most difficult question. Where ever you go, you need to not be refused entry or deported and be able to find employment in a short amount of time. In the long term, you would need to become a citizen. The country you emigrate to needs to be somewhere you and you family can thrive. My family and I seem to disagree on where we would go. My family and I only speak English, so we would likely face more hardship in non-English speaking countries. My parents want to head for Canada, my wife would prefer Great Britain, and I'm thinking about the warm, more secular nations of Australia or New Zealand. None of us have narrowed it down to an actual city. Slavbard has been mentioned on the forum before, but it's way too cold for me.

There's always Africa.  There are plenty of places where you could pretty much disappear and start over in an interesting place.  You could live with the Buddhist monks in Tanzania, the rural areas of Uganda, the Island of Madagascar, etc.  Or you could move to the Russian Taiga.  Kind of like this family...  http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/for-40-years-this-russian-family-was-cut-off-from-all-human-contact-unaware-of-world-war-ii-7354256/

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2016, 12:42:20 pm »
I still think we are far away from rounding up Atheists in the night, and, frankly, I don't believe that we'll be rounding up Muslim families, either.  Trump is an untrustworthy insecure narcissistic blowhard, but he has a lot of eyes on him -- and they need to stay on him, and on Congress too.  I don't think he's going to be able to get away with anything that veers too much into Nazi territory, at least not right away.

I'll reiterate the position I've stated recently in other threads:  I'm fed up with this country and with a large segment of the American people.  If I could viably move to another country and keep my current job, I'd do it.  But I'm not a big risk taker, and I'll need to spend a lot more time getting acclimated to another country first before I really pull the trigger, and I won't easily give up my economic security.  My company's official policy is that, to work for an American-based business unit, an employee has to reside within the U.S.  So on the bright side, I could still relocate to anywhere in the country where I can get decent Internet and work remotely full time.  I may yet take advantage of this, but it depends on how the next 4-16 months progress.  Even if I stay in the U.S. for the immediate future, I may retire to another country when I'm done working in 19 years.  I've been toying with the idea for a few years.

I do think it's about time to give the Heartland of the country to the conservatives and let them create their Christian theocracy.  I'd be fine with this if one or more states on the east and/or west coasts would be allowed to secede.

If I had to leave the country in a hurry, I'd take my clothes, money, passport & other critical documents, and small personal electronics.  At minimum, my important electronic files are backed up to USB and external hard drives, so I'd take those.  I have a large desktop PC (full tower) so that wouldn't go.  If I had time beforehand, I'd invest in a decent laptop and copy my files there.  I may yet do that, but at the moment, I'd rather spend that money elsewhere or save it.  Assuming that I was going to have to give up my job to flee the country but still had access to a fair amount of money, my current country of choice is Ireland.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 06:30:27 am »
If you're looking to relocate in the U.S.  maybe try Hawaii. It's the. Most culturally diverse and if you ever wanted to go to Japan or Australia, it would be easier.

As to dealing with unpleasant folks, I find that a bit of wisdom goes a long way.  There's a Trump supporter at work who for all intents and purposes is Semnae's evil twin cousin...Steve. Instead of arguing with him internet style, us guys at work calmly pick apart his rants and show him how what he's going on about can't possibly happen. 

Offline Reape

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2016, 11:05:04 am »
As to dealing with unpleasant folks, I find that a bit of wisdom goes a long way.  There's a Trump supporter at work who for all intents and purposes is Semnae's evil twin cousin...Steve. Instead of arguing with him internet style, us guys at work calmly pick apart his rants and show him how what he's going on about can't possibly happen.

Do they even listen to a word you say? These people tend to have a massive confirmation bias combined with a massive in-group bias.
Nordic cultural imperialist.