Author Topic: Listening to stuff you havent heard in forever  (Read 608 times)

Offline logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
Listening to stuff you havent heard in forever
« on: December 23, 2015, 03:03:48 am »
Pretty much ever since I went digital I've completely stopped listenting to the music that I used to/still have on CD, ntm I used to listen to the radio all the time and havent for like...10 years or so now. 

Yesterday for whatever reason I really wanted to listen to soundgarden, and being the lazy sob that I am I downloaded their discography instead of digging through a box to find their CDs, so today comes around and here I am listening to some Soundgarden and omfg its fucking amazing.  It helps that SOundgarden is one of my favorites...and that they're awesome, cuz sometimes I'll rehear some shit from forever ago and be like "...this was only good the first 1000 times, zzz"

so how bout you guys? ever bother necroing your music collection? or just never let it necro in the first place? and if so, do you do it in style? cuz right now me and the neighbors are listening to Outshined (and maybe everyone a couple houses down...)

Offline Fool010

Re: Listening to stuff you havent heard in forever
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 03:59:00 am »
so how bout you guys? ever bother necroing your music collection? or just never let it necro in the first place? and if so, do you do it in style? cuz right now me and the neighbors are listening to Outshined (and maybe everyone a couple houses down...)

I digitalized all my collection including vinyls -which has been a real pain in the backside- and play through it alphabetically, which means I listen to any single track at least once every 3 years or so. Well, maybe closer to 4 years as I still extend it.
Who needs a signature anyway ?

MAL               last.fm

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 05:36:20 am »
While I mostly listen to VGM these days, I like to occasionally listen to old stuff by T.M.Revolution and Janne Da Arc.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline buchno

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 12:55:45 am »
"...this was only good the first 1000 times, zzz"
Forgetting the song for a couple years usually makes it fresh again for me.
Unless my taste has shifted, in which case I'll just be disappointed in my former self...

Offline AceHigh

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 01:26:12 pm »
I remember after years of dabbling in the dark side of death and black metal I suddenly rediscovered that side of me that was listening to Prodigy back when I was 12. Revisiting the whole DnB and Big Beat genre again.

Offline JoonasTo

• Upholding traditional values
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 08:21:08 pm »
I don't have to, there's a radio show that does it for me, every friday.

But aside from the 90s stuff the show does, I don't think I have that much "forgotten" music, it's all in my favourites at youtube that I randomly shuffle through or on my computer that has the same treatment. So unlike fool's alphabetical approach that ends up cycling artists for every couple years I shuffle all the songs so I end up hearing a every style(and a lot of the artists) here and there. Don't really get to forget like that.

Sometimes I end up purposefully digging something up.

Good thing for reminding me, foxy scrobbler is probably dead again.

Because we can!

Offline Fool010

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 08:57:17 am »
I remember after years of dabbling in the dark side of death and black metal I suddenly rediscovered that side of me that was listening to Prodigy back when I was 12. Revisiting the whole DnB and Big Beat genre again.

One genre eating up your attention is never a good thing. There's a relation between specific music genres and your mood. Listen to only one genre and when you're not in the right mood you've got nothing to listen to. A broader spectrum will provide music for nearly every mood you may be in.

So unlike fool's alphabetical approach that ends up cycling artists for every couple years I shuffle all the songs so I end up hearing a every style(and a lot of the artists) here and there.

My collection covers roughly 7 500 records (85K tracks or so), if I did selective listening I'd mostly be playing only a couple hundred of them. Too many choices surprisingly have the same consequences as not enough choices.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:00:48 am by Fool010 »

Offline Fool010

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 08:59:33 am »
accidental double post - open for deletion

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 10:49:03 am »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

yo im sorry i mighta gone all music n3r|) on your thread ignore me.

my lastfm is in my sig, check it out if you want i guess. it's two years old but for about 10 months i didn't use it, soooooooooooooooo ya idkmybffjill.

at the movies drunk & young

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 05:28:36 am »
I found an old mix tape  I made back in the 90s.  "I got the power"  "Jump Jump"  "Wild Child" "song 2" "Jimmy Olsen's Blues" "Learn to Fly"  "California Love"  "Mambo Number 5" "Thunderstruck" "Men in Black"  "Tubthumping" "Closing Time"    Just to name a few songs.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 06:06:36 am »
Do you also have the X-Files theme? lol
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 06:16:29 am »
It was on a separate tape with the Mortal Kombat theme.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.