Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 2 and newer rips  (Read 521 times)

Offline kinetiKc

Raspberry Pi 2 and newer rips
« on: January 05, 2016, 09:26:10 pm »
Hello,

I use Raspberry Pi 2 for my video needs. Just recently I started to get interested in newer anime (like "wow, there is something really worth watching after 2000s" :D). Unfortunately, those are encoded i Hi10P, with which RaPi doesn't get along. I used HandBrake to convert some videos into lower quality, but I had problems with subtitles. They didn't get copied properly (missing fonts) and the container itself doesn't have them loaded by default (which I set, but I guess it got ignored).

The bottom line is: what can I do to convert video, but leave audio and subtitles intact (actually, to leave the whole container and its contents - apart from video - intact)? I am using MacOS, but I have (limited) access to a Windows machine.

Offline Al_Sleeper

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 and newer rips
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 09:36:25 pm »
https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html

Alternatively, you can set HandBrake to convert softsubs to hardsubs.

Offline kinetiKc

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:44:57 pm »
Thanks for MKVToolNix. It looks good, but can I convert video and leave the rest intact with it? I can't seem to find such options. And I would like to skip the option to convert in one application and merge it in another.

As of hardsubs, I would really want to avoid this.

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:03:44 pm »
You can extract video with it, convert it with HandBrake, and then use converted video to replace original 10-bit video.

Offline kinetiKc

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 10:08:32 pm »
Like I said before, I'd really like to avoid this, since it would take a lot of time (convert each file, then rearrange the container). Perpahs there is some other software for this?

I remember using a lot of this stuff when I was younger, but I can't remember what exactly was it :/

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 10:20:16 pm »
In theory, HandBrake can keep softsubs intact, but I'm not an expert in its proper configuration.

Offline kinetiKc

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 10:20:50 pm »
Yeah, it leaves them intact, but it doesn't detect additional (font) files and removes them in the process.

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 11:00:20 pm »
That's what I meant. IIRC, it can keep all necessary fonts as well when it is configured properly.

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 04:06:52 am »
Actually, what is a good cheap alternative for using the recent encodes without conversion. Conversion really kills quality most of the time, and converting everytime you want to watch something is too much work, especially when you have limited spare time.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline kinetiKc

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 08:51:53 am »
I think anime rips are mainly meant to be watched on computer, hence all the articles about required codecs and stuff.

Conversion kills quality, yes, but if you put a little effort to it and run some high profile one, the loss won't be that much visible. I have no problem running conversions that lasts for hours, I can left the computer running and go to work. I just don't have the time to sit and rearrange the containers every couple of days.

Offline Temuthril

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 12:24:09 pm »
Re-encoding files doesn't necessarily have to take a long time.

Compensate for faster settings by increasing the bitrate, especially if they're going to be temporary files for watching once.