Author Topic: Subtitle color reproduction  (Read 790 times)

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
Subtitle color reproduction
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:23:02 am »
I've been wanting to post this for a while. I just want this resolved now.

When it comes to masking, there is always a noticeable shift in color. Like below:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Both AvsPmod and Aegisub is showing both subtitle and video properly. However, MPC is showing incorrect subtitle color while VLC is displaying at incorrect video color.
I'm using K-Lite Codec pack and I'd like to keep it so we're gonna have to fix things either in the settings or Windows registries. It does have a UI settings for DirectVobSub but I don't think it is rendering the subtitle. It was never active on the system tray.

Suggestions? I'd like to keep K-Lite codec and the only thing I want to troubleshoot is the subtitle rendering.

Offline sneaker2

Re: Subtitle color reproduction
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:16:56 pm »
IIRC MPC-HC subtitle renderer assumes "normal" RGB colors in ASS subtitles. But old vs-filter always assumed BT.601 YUV source. If you watch a BT.709 video (pretty much everything HDTV) with MPC-HC's subtitle renderer the colors might come out incorrect. You should be able to avoid this issue if:
- you use XySubFilter or xy-vsfilter instead of the internal subtitle renderer or
- edit the ASS header to use the "YCbCr Matrix" field. You should be able to find some info in Aegisub manual about that. Basically you add the line "YCbCr Matrix: TV.601" to the ASS header and remux. If that doesn't work try "YCbCr Matrix: TV.709" instead.

Of course this depends on how the file was authored. While I believe recent versions of MPC-HC's internal renderer support the "YCbCr Matrix" tag I'm not fully sure.

Offline Govna

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:47:08 pm »
Whoever made those subs messed up.

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:22:20 am »
How do I disable MPC-HC's internal subtitle renderer and force XySubFilter as subtitle renderer?

Marked as best answer by ridon428 on April 08, 2016, 01:40:38 am

Offline Morellet

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 04:07:18 am »
How do I disable MPC-HC's internal subtitle renderer and force XySubFilter as subtitle renderer?
ViewOptions... → select the Playback tab → untick "Use the built-in subtitle renderer" under "Open settings". And yep, like sneaker2 said, it's a colorspace issue: http://unanimated.xtreemhost.com/ts/ts-advanced.htm (see the "2015 Note" advising typesetters not to use the BT.601 colorspace)

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 05:03:50 pm »
Is changing the BT.601 the only solution? Can I just change the subtitle filter settings? Hopefully it's possible because AvsPmod didn't have problems.

If I can't, not much of a problem. I'll just extract the subtitle and modify the settings of the subtitle file itself.

Offline sneaker2

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 05:29:07 pm »
XySubFilter and xy-vsfilter have a setting to force a specific color matrix. You can set that while watching a problematic series and after finishing the series set it back to auto. (That said, I cannot remember whether the setting works on all files or only on those without the matrix tag in the header)
MPC-HC's internal renderer does not have such a setting AFAIK.

ViewOptions... → select the Playback tab → untick "Use the built-in subtitle renderer"
JFYI:
The setting was moved in recent versions of MPC-HC. Now you go into the "Output" settings and select the desired subtitle renderer from a drop-down list.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:33:27 pm by sneaker2 »

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 01:34:20 am »
ViewOptions... → select the Playback tab → untick "Use the built-in subtitle renderer" under "Open settings".
This did the trick. It's working fine now. I'll revert the settings I modified you didn't mention back and see the difference.

I followed some of Nyaa's Guide to install XySubFilter. If it is uninstalled and MPC's internal subtitle renderer isn't used, KLCP's DirectVobSub is what doing the rendering. When it is installed, it is XySubFilter.

Thanks for all your help.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:40:00 am by ridon428 »

Offline cold_hell

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 07:37:28 pm »
Just install kawaii pack codec with build-in Xy filter... At this point it's probably the most reliable pack.

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 08:03:34 pm »
Judging by a report on AB forum, KCP still have problems with HEVC playback.

Offline Morellet

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 06:22:50 am »
Judging by a report on AB forum, KCP still have problems with HEVC playback.
It doesn't seem to for me. I just switched back to the Kawaii Codec Pack after using K-Lite for about a couple years (and I'd used both CCCP and KCP before that), and HEVC stuff seems to play just fine now.

Offline Al_Sleeper