Author Topic: Amagi Brilliant Park  (Read 942 times)

Online ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
Amagi Brilliant Park
« on: April 08, 2016, 12:55:26 pm »
I've only got three releases for 720p. Asuka Subs's release isn't seeded well. All three uses Vivid scripts

http://compare.bakashots.me/compare.php?setId=2010&comparisonId=12938

I find BlurayDesuYo's encode sharper while Coalgirls's blurry. Man, looking at those very small difference for a long time made my eyes hurt.

Which one do you think is better?

Offline YukinoAi

Re: Amagi Brilliant Park
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 03:47:32 am »
They look identical to me >.<

I would go with the one that has a smaller file size.

Online ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 12:25:52 pm »
They will look identical. But there are very minor difference that is negligible to an average anime audience.

Offline h.ero

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 05:36:49 pm »
Coalgirls release by Tenshi. BlurayDesuYo by the DameDesuYo team, of course.

Coalgirls is 11.17 GB but with FLAC audio. BlurayDesuYo is 6.93 GB. As you say, the latter is definitely sharper—if you don't immediately see it, check the lines on the wall and door in the background in #8. I don't visually see any drawback from BlurayDesuYo in the stills on casual inspection.

Most importantly, BlurayDesuYo includes specials, whereas Coalgirls does not.

In general I trust team releases more than individuals hacking it on their own (Coalgirls is a group of individual releasers operating under a single brand, mostly), and specifically in this case there's no reason to go against that. In fact, the opposite. I'd say the choice is pretty clear.

Offline Govna

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 03:48:58 am »

Coalgirls is 11.17 GB but with FLAC audio. BlurayDesuYo is 6.93 GB. As you say, the latter is definitely sharper—if you don't immediately see it, check the lines on the wall and door in the background in #8. I don't visually see any drawback from BlurayDesuYo in the stills on casual inspection.

In general I trust team releases more than individuals hacking it on their own (Coalgirls is a group of individual releasers operating under a single brand, mostly), and specifically in this case there's no reason to go against that. In fact, the opposite. I'd say the choice is pretty clear.

You're implying that the bluraydesuyo is some static group of people that only do blurays under that tag, when the people that work on it change.

The only reason you point out coalgirls as being somehow unique is that you know the name of the persona that runs it.

Offline h.ero

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 07:01:36 pm »

You're implying that the bluraydesuyo is some static group of people that only do blurays under that tag, when the people that work on it change.

The only reason you point out coalgirls as being somehow unique is that you know the name of the persona that runs it.

If that's what it seemed like I implied, then my bad, but of course as you say and as I knew, the reality is that like any group there's a rotating cast of people working on different projects. Staff list for this release is here:
http://damedesuyo.com/?p=8492

Likewise before I posted I checked CGi to see which of them did it there, as it varies and in fact most recent CGi releases have been by others:
http://coalgirls.wakku.to/9529/amagi-brilliant-park

DDY has had some issues in the past but probably not as much with BD releases using others' scripts.

In any case, releases should be judged on their own merits rather than reputation. It's just that your priors are going to be weighted against the single-person disc releaser in most situations. It's harder to do things on your own, and there's less accountability in such a setting, never mind less influx of new ideas and potential best practices. In any case, there are always plenty of exceptions to any rule and this is not even remotely a rule.

Offline Govna

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 05:07:57 am »

If that's what it seemed like I implied, then my bad, but of course as you say and as I knew, the reality is that like any group there's a rotating cast of people working on different projects. Staff list for this release is here:
http://damedesuyo.com/?p=8492

Likewise before I posted I checked CGi to see which of them did it there, as it varies and in fact most recent CGi releases have been by others:
http://coalgirls.wakku.to/9529/amagi-brilliant-park

DDY has had some issues in the past but probably not as much with BD releases using others' scripts.

In any case, releases should be judged on their own merits rather than reputation. It's just that your priors are going to be weighted against the single-person disc releaser in most situations. It's harder to do things on your own, and there's less accountability in such a setting, never mind less influx of new ideas and potential best practices. In any case, there are always plenty of exceptions to any rule and this is not even remotely a rule.

It's way easier to do things on your own, especially if you're using other peoples scripts, especially if the peoples scripts you're using are from people that do good work. Since at that point, all you're doing is getting an encode together and running sushi.

I don't see what 'influx of new ideas and potential best practices' has to do with a bluray release, though.

Offline h.ero

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 07:44:39 am »
It's way easier to do things on your own, especially if you're using other peoples scripts, especially if the peoples scripts you're using are from people that do good work. Since at that point, all you're doing is getting an encode together and running sushi.
I was thinking more generally, so including new script changes, possibly including edit/TLC. Plus typesetting adjustments if applicable. Sometimes colors or styles change on disc and thus need to be adjusted, though I have no idea if KyoAni does that. Shifting/retiming scripts, though that's easy. I guess in this context there's probably not much to do with Vivid's batch scripts.

I don't see what 'influx of new ideas and potential best practices' has to do with a bluray release, though.
Encoders, encoding settings, filters, etc. Not like all that changes very much. I'm thinking more on the scale of many years, which some disc releasers have operated over. Also everything associated with the actual subs, particularly for older stuff. Sometimes people change dialogue or OP/ED styling to something bad, for example.

And to be honest, though I didn't mention it, I was thinking not just about what's better in theory (causation) but also plain correlation. Without naming names, a lot of the single-man DVD/BD release efforts in the past have been some person muxing scripts with mediocre shareraws, frequently with issues. Or somebody running default settings in MeGUI (though honestly in the last several years, so many of the BD releases these days probably don't even need filtering... nothing like many of the DVDs over the years, never mind VHS or whatnot). In any case, if you find some disc encode that has missing fonts or typesetting that's off by a frame here or there, it probably didn't come from a team release. At least, that's been my experience.

Offline Govna

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 02:33:29 pm »
I was thinking more generally, so including new script changes, possibly including edit/TLC. Plus typesetting adjustments if applicable. Sometimes colors or styles change on disc and thus need to be adjusted, though I have no idea if KyoAni does that. Shifting/retiming scripts, though that's easy. I guess in this context there's probably not much to do with Vivid's batch scripts.

Encoders, encoding settings, filters, etc. Not like all that changes very much. I'm thinking more on the scale of many years, which some disc releasers have operated over. Also everything associated with the actual subs, particularly for older stuff. Sometimes people change dialogue or OP/ED styling to something bad, for example.

And to be honest, though I didn't mention it, I was thinking not just about what's better in theory (causation) but also plain correlation. Without naming names, a lot of the single-man DVD/BD release efforts in the past have been some person muxing scripts with mediocre shareraws, frequently with issues. Or somebody running default settings in MeGUI (though honestly in the last several years, so many of the BD releases these days probably don't even need filtering... nothing like many of the DVDs over the years, never mind VHS or whatnot). In any case, if you find some disc encode that has missing fonts or typesetting that's off by a frame here or there, it probably didn't come from a team release. At least, that's been my experience.

I think you have some weird idea about how fansubbing works, especially when it comes to BDs of a tv show.
There's really zero reason to take someone elses scripts and then TLC/edit them. If you're doing that kind of effort you'd start from scratched, since it'd be way easier. There's zero reason to choose to use someone scripts and then what to change it enough to need a TLC/editor.

And since sushi exists now, it makes the whole 'muxing with shareraws and then things are off' issue pretty hard, except for edge cases. Especially considering the specific situation we're talking about here is DDY vs CGi.

Offline h.ero

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 10:38:29 pm »
I think you have some weird idea about how fansubbing works, especially when it comes to BDs of a tv show.
There's really zero reason to take someone elses scripts and then TLC/edit them. If you're doing that kind of effort you'd start from scratched, since it'd be way easier. There's zero reason to choose to use someone scripts and then what to change it enough to need a TLC/editor.

And since sushi exists now, it makes the whole 'muxing with shareraws and then things are off' issue pretty hard, except for edge cases. Especially considering the specific situation we're talking about here is DDY vs CGi.
You really think that edit/TLC (especially light amounts, like for a disc release) is more difficult than starting from scratch or you may as well start from scratch if making that kind of effort? Then why does anyone edit CR, Funi, or other official sources for TV releases?

In any case, the reason to change anyone's scripts to that level is if all of the options suck. Some disc releasers do change things even if the original doesn't suck, though usually not at a level to need TLC.

To be honest, backing up a bit, I think most of my points admittedly have to deal with issues that are largely no longer factors. For example, most scripts now don't suck and there's little reason to make much effort to change things.* All this is largely unrelated in the 2015-2016 DDY vs. CGi BD release context anyway, particularly considering they're both using Vivid scripts. Furthermore as you've pointed out, these days you can use sushi.

*though potentially not true if you're attempting to cobble together a release from multiple source scripts. I remember a project along those lines starting for Oregairu but never finishing. I also recall a hypothetical Angel Beats disc release that never turned up.

Anyway, this whole thing started from an offhanded remark at a heuristic that I think at least had some merit in general in the past but is not as relevant anymore and not relevant here, so you're right to point out many of the things you did.

Offline Govna

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 04:15:26 am »

You really think that edit/TLC (especially light amounts, like for a disc release) is more difficult than starting from scratch or you may as well start from scratch if making that kind of effort? Then why does anyone edit CR, Funi, or other official sources for TV releases?

In any case, the reason to change anyone's scripts to that level is if all of the options suck. Some disc releasers do change things even if the original doesn't suck, though usually not at a level to need TLC.

To be honest, backing up a bit, I think most of my points admittedly have to deal with issues that are largely no longer factors. For example, most scripts now don't suck and there's little reason to make much effort to change things.* All this is largely unrelated in the 2015-2016 DDY vs. CGi BD release context anyway, particularly considering they're both using Vivid scripts. Furthermore as you've pointed out, these days you can use sushi.

*though potentially not true if you're attempting to cobble together a release from multiple source scripts. I remember a project along those lines starting for Oregairu but never finishing. I also recall a hypothetical Angel Beats disc release that never turned up.

Anyway, this whole thing started from an offhanded remark at a heuristic that I think at least had some merit in general in the past but is not as relevant anymore and not relevant here, so you're right to point out many of the things you did.

If the fansubs you're using for the BD source is terrible enough to warrant TLCing/editing then yeah, it's way easier to start over.
People start from funi/CR for TV stuff because funi/CR are pretty good places to start, and is less effort than TLing for the most part. Funny, when I say start over it usually means starting here.

What are disc releasers. I don't think we're talking at all about people that upload BDMVs. And if you're going to be using some fansubs as a base, I don't know why you'd want to be changing anything editing-wise.

Sushi came out in 2014, '2015-16' DDY/CGi is right now (it's 2016 if you haven't noticed) and CR/funi have been way good enough to work from for a while.

And there has really never been a reason for massively editing from fansubs, especially since 'back in the day' when you mighta wanted to have changed them at all for bd/dvd releases they would have been worse than the r1.

This 'past' that it's relevant for was only relevant because people on average did bad work. But that past also doesn't have people that did good work that did BDs.