Author Topic: New category icon set and security updates  (Read 19578 times)

Offline Astara

Re: New category icon set and security updates
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 11:38:43 pm »
I agree the icons are too big.
B. new icons takes longer time to load into browser memory/cache > page freeze (time varies between machines and browsers+page type > user/browse/offers/adopt).
---
How can a new icon that is under 100 bytes, 1 was 8k, that is stored in 1 place
for all pages (the css sheet), take more time to load than old icons that were all
separate files?  Here, you load the style sheet once, and you are done.  If your
screen froze, it's likely because a slow cpu will take more time to draw out the icons
from a few words of instructions than if you have a fat pipe and need to pull in
the same file 100's of times.

There was a sharp spike in RAM usage when I tried to load the Adopt page, page froze for 15-20 sec. 

Well it is a 309K page that needs to be parsed by your browser -- but no other files are loaded.  is 309K a large amount of memory on your machine?

I've noticed on a single-cpu browser like FF or a derivative, the page display is more cpu bound.  But that's because all of the rendering is done in 1 thread.  Not much way to fix that on FF, might try some other browsers for comparison.

Offline jiop

• Just a BOT...
    • Anime Portal
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 03:50:52 am »
It's not because of size (and each file is 50KB), it's because they are encoded. Browser needs time to decode and present the data bits as images to you. If image to data URI isn't tested and optimized properly, the final size of the decoded image will be bigger than the original files themselves. And Base64 encoded images take longer time render by the browser than native file format. Multiply 50KB with total number of torrents per page (= number of icons) for each page > browse, offers, adopt, search... that makes it CPU heavy. I'm not talking about a single icon.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Like you said, in single-threaded browser like FF and it's forks, rendering is more CPU bound and the rendering performance take's a dive during paint process
. But that's only only part of the problem.
I don't have the RAM spike issue for new icons on Google Chrome. But that's not my daily driver and it has it's own memory issues with multiple tabs. Chrome uses a separate process per tab, which Google claims is a good thing. But in practice it can slow your system down. Try opening and using over 10 tabs on Google Chrome vs Firefox. Check their total memory footprint.

Base64 encoding images is good practice usually only for very small images that are going to be used together like CSS sprites and saving the server request is more important than cacheability. Comparability with loader browser's is also an issue where there's a size limit for base64. These are some of the issues with this implementation.

I fairly certain that most people to whom they seem too big are either using lower resolution than 1920x1080
It's not the resolution, it's DPI. High DPI screens like Apple MacBook, Retina and Chromebook Pixel, the icons seems fine. But why assume everyone is running a High DPI monitor? If you wanna serve large images for that kind of screens, use @media queries and frameworks like RetinaJS or RetinaScales.
And you might wanna alternate text so the placeholder isn't blank if the images aren't loaded. For example:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:22:53 am by jiop »

Offline Tylerr

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:01 am »
There are many fine details which would be lost and wouldn't look as good if we used original dimensions.
We tried several different scales and slightly bigger looked best. We didn't scale them up too much (around 5-10px), and I fairly certain that most people to whom they seem too big are either using lower resolution than 1920x1080 or it just seems that way because they were used to the old layout.

We'll consider tweaking the size a bit, but I'm certain someone will provide a script to resize the icons. They are SVG after all.

I'm on 1080p, they are too big.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 04:13:06 am »
They're not that bad, really.

Offline Spectralfire

• Get in the Robot Shinji!
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2016, 05:51:48 am »
They're not that bad, really.

Krudda's getting old and needs big icons. I don't really mind them, but as someone else pointed out they seem to look out of place compared to the listing. I think it's due to how large the icon text is vs the listing text size, which is making people think they are much bigger than the old icons.

It's the duty of the elite to protect the ignorant masses.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2016, 06:22:06 am »
The old icons had more whitespace, even though the file dimensions aren't much different. That acounts for a bit of it I think.

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2016, 10:13:25 am »
C'mon, everyone. A lot of people hated the site overhaul and we are now used to it. The same thing will happen with the new category icons.
Yes, I agree. The icons are too big for now. Let's be real here. We'll eventually get used to those big icons sooner or later.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2016, 11:03:04 am »
C'mon, everyone. A lot of people hated the site overhaul and we are now used to it. The same thing will happen with the new category icons.
Yes, I agree. The icons are too big for now. Let's be real here. We'll eventually get used to those big icons sooner or later.
No, I still hate it. I just put up with it.

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2016, 01:31:43 pm »
No, I still hate it. I just put up with it.
You'll lose that hatred sooner ;)

Offline rahx360

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2016, 01:48:45 pm »
Why is every change for the worse? Site overhaul was not good. I used to visit everyday but now I have to force myself every week or so. Less readability, hiding in menu's resulting in seeing less and more pointless clicking to create more white space.
Who thought these new icons were better? The Blind? Everything gets flatter and flatter (except anime boobs). There was a time when things were more 3D, had depth to it, so it was much easier to see and read. Even when being so big, many desktop or laptop users here, pages are still 50% white space.

Why need make setting where we can choose old site design, old icons, doesn't take much work since it was already made.

Offline Harusame

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2016, 04:10:14 pm »
The more I look at the new icons the more I really just do not like them. They aren't icons more than section titles with a thumbnail. Maybe add some more color to the titles to differentiate them some more? Because right now it's all white against white, with a splash of black that got sneezed on with color.

If there was a way to decide between "Legacy" and "Current" icons would honestly just make everyone happy. Because due to the size and fact that the new "icons" are nothing more than titles looks totally off.

Offline Cashdaxxx

• iWANT more NAGI T.T
    • MAL, I have a life.
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2016, 04:49:59 pm »
I don't want to be the douche hipster to say 'the old icon fits better than the new ones', but that's my honest sentiment.
It just looks so out of place, heck I'm still not even used to the everything-in-bold-letters homepage.

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2016, 04:50:12 pm »
Since a lot people disagree with the new site design, we would like to have an option to choose themes (like AnimeBytes) under settings.
only two option:
1) the old BakaBT (before the site overhaul) with the old icons
2) the new BakaBT (after the site overhaul) with the new icons

Pretty please?

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2016, 05:54:59 pm »
Highly unlikely

Offline Denton

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2016, 12:33:07 am »
I strongly dislike the new icons.

:(

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2016, 12:45:39 am »
Well, you should've applied and made us some better ones, the contest was open for all.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2016, 02:50:31 am »
Since a lot people disagree with the new site design, we would like to have an option to choose themes (like AnimeBytes) under settings.
only two option:
1) the old BakaBT (before the site overhaul) with the old icons
2) the new BakaBT (after the site overhaul) with the new icons

Pretty please?
They already denied us last time.
Perhaps I will go ahead and finish what I started - if you recall I was going to make a stylesheet to 'repair' BBT as much as I could at the last website change. Life got busy so I never finished it but maybe now I should. You can apply it to BBT with some firefox and chrome add-ons.

Offline Norad

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2016, 04:42:09 am »
i vote "yes" for smaller icons.

Offline jiop

• Just a BOT...
    • Anime Portal
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2016, 04:44:16 am »
@Krudda

This is what I'm doing with Stylish add-on. You might wanna add a background image (sprite) or iconic font-face like FontAwesome to replace the text for each icon.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:53:01 pm by jiop »

Offline ASecondChance

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2016, 05:09:57 am »
So changing the port basically means you need to edit your tracker from
Code: [Select]
http://tracker.bakabt.me:2710/<your torrent pass>/announce.php
to
Code: [Select]
http://tracker.bakabt.me:8443/<your torrent pass>/announce.php

Changing the tracker is very easy on µtorrent/bittorrent. Just select all relevant torrents and go to properties to edit the tracker at once.

thanks, checking out tixati seems fairly easy just tedious because it opens up each torrent selected though maybe if i look more there is a way to do it all at once (if it's possible at all)

EDIT: wow, i forgot i have zoom of 125% on baka (because the old icons were too small) that made the new icons bigger than they actually are lol
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:14:51 am by ASecondChance »
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ASecondChance all my scores are based on my tastes so dont click if you are looking for a more "objective" scoring.