Author Topic: Lawn mowing techniques.  (Read 1542 times)

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
Lawn mowing techniques.
« on: May 25, 2016, 05:15:46 pm »
Some of us have a yard/lawn that we have to maintain and some don't.  I think that most of us have at least once mowed a yard or helped someone to do so.   When you mow a lawn with a push mower, there are really only three ways to mow the lawn.  There's the typewriter where you just go row to row back and forth like a typewriter.  There's the apple peeler where you start on the outside and in a box formation slowly move in a row at a time on each side.  Then there's Mom's Apple Pie where you mow in a crosshatch similar to baseball fields.

The apple peeler works better on my front yard whereas the typewriter works better on the back yard.  If I'm using a riding mower (lawn tractor) then I usually do what's called "Ripples" where you start in the center and do a spiral outwards if you don't have something in the lawn, or if you have a tree or something, then go in circular patterns radiating outwards until the lawn is completed.  This method leaves your lawn looking pretty neat and depending on what kind of grass you have, it can actually look like ripples in a pond.  The recommended settings for this are deck level 3 and speed setting 2.

So if you've got a different method than listed above, then post it here and if you've got your own tips, post it below.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
Re: Lawn mowing techniques.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 05:45:21 pm »
It's easiest to mow with a zero turn riding lawn mower. I don't mow my yard though. It's massive. It's about a 3-4 day ordeal with a riding lawn mower. I just pay to have it done. If I didn't that's about all I'd ever freakin' do.

Online Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:57:17 am »
My lawn is a horrid mixture of mostly Bahia grass, weeds, some St Augustine, and sections of some other unidentified but mostly unkillable grass.  Fortunately, my lawn is no worse than anyone else's in my neighborhood.  I'm on a large corner lot, and I use a push mower.  My mowing technique varies depending on which section I'm mowing at any given time, but I invariably switch between typewriter and apple peeler patterns.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:44:20 am »
My yard is a mixed bag. Buffalo grass, and clover make up a good portion of it though. There's also a few patches of eyeless bindi.

I live on an estate, so there's lots of inconviniently placed trees and hedges. It is also on about a 25 degree slope, which gradually ends up around 35 degrees by the back yard.

I used to mow the other lawns along the estate with a zero turn mower, but along with awesome manueverability, comes zero control downhill. You cannot stop, and you cannot turn. I quit that job as it took me 16 hours (my entire weekend) to do half the estate.

For my yard, I use a Husqvarna LTR38 Ride on 'lawn tractor' which has 20 gross horse power. It cost me three grand but it managed to more than halve the time to mow my yard compared to using a Victa push mower. Albeit, using almost twice the fuel. It currently has around 40 hours use.

Because of the unique topographt of my yard, and how far clippings are launched, I start by working in sections. I'll start by the road and work clockwise around the entire front yard.
After three or four runs (38" per run), I'll use a conviniently placed tree as a turning point. After going around the tree twice, I change directions and from here, do the lawn in sections. I generally goin a large square, working my way to the centre of each section. This evwnly spreads the clippings so I don't have to catch them or rake them. It also fertilizes the lawn for me.

The back yard is a little different. Its mostly rectangular with two side yards, but it has the most obstacles.

I generally start with the sides of the house, going in one direction, and switch directions halfway. I do the same for the back yard, but have to navigate a dozen trees.
I am normally finished in 45 minutes.

I should post pictures...
These are the best I could find on my phone, the front yard.
https://imgur.com/a/EcRcG
E: here's one sans-car http://i.imgur.com/U45M8js.jpg
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:27:09 am by Krudda »

Offline DefyingChick

• its 'Defying Chicken', but no matter ^^
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:17:19 pm »
I don't have one, but my granparrants do. Haveing turned 80, It's been my job to take care of it for a while.

There is the lawn, which is 3 parts, and has no particular shape. I usually do typewriter, but I rarely mow in the same pattern twice in a row, so it just turns out as it does each time.
The rest is another mess entirely. the 5-30* on the lawn is okay to do with a push mower, takes under an hour. The 20-50* with berries and trees everywhere that the rest of the place consist of is a days work with a string trimmer.

And the fields are given away. Other local farmers cut them for free, and take the grass.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 11:05:13 pm »
Living in southern California my grass is slowly going away do to the water restrictions been thinking about doing fake grass in the front yard and keeping real grass in the backyard for the dogs.

But when there is grass to mow I do typewriter with a push mower.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 11:23:03 pm »
Get yourself some Buffalo grass. I swear that grass is unkillable. Even roundup has a hard time killing my lawn, and we never water it. Ever.

According to wikipedia, my grass is actually St. Augustine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine_Grass

But apparently it won't grow in California xD
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:34:15 pm by Krudda »

Offline halfelite

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 11:39:38 pm »
Get yourself some Buffalo grass. I swear that grass is unkillable. Even roundup has a hard time killing my lawn, and we never water it. Ever.

According to wikipedia, my grass is actually St. Augustine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine_Grass

But apparently it won't grow in California xD

A lot of grass' do well just off rainfall but were I live we dont have rain. This is our yearly rainfall

2005-2006      4.69"   (119.1 mm)   
2006-2007      2.15"   (54.6 mm)   
2007-2008      7.35"   (186.6 mm)   
2008-2009      6.68"   (169.6 mm)   
2009-2010      10.21"   (259.3 mm)   
2010-2011      14.55"   (369.5 mm)   
2011-2012      5.62"   (142.7 mm)   
2012-2013      4.63"   (117.6 mm)   
2013-2014      5.52"   (140.2 mm)   
2014-2015      7.96"   (202.1 mm)   

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 11:46:35 pm »
Wow....
We get numbers like that, but on a month to month basis. Not year to year.
I remember just a few months ago we got 80mm in one hour, for the second time this year.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:54:07 pm by Krudda »

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 05:40:57 am »
Ah, so I'm not the only one suffering from having more clover/weeds/etc than actual grass in my lawn.  I'm currently reseeding the front lawn, but the back has too much shaded areas.  I would just love to pave the whole freaking thing and be done with it.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline jaybug

• Go Ducks!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 06:26:23 am »
I never mow the same way twice. It avoids my lawn getting wheel ruts.

About the only thing I don't do, is mow like a vacuum my carpets. Although I do seem to end up doing that method in some areas, as my lawn is the size of a postage stamp.

Mowing at the mid level settings inhibits most of the weed grasses. Although it does take more water. And yes, I keep it green all summer through irrigation. It absorbs more greenhouse gases that way.

Yes, I have the best looking lawn in my cul de sac. My neighbors tell me so.

In my night biology classes, for my term papers, I wrote about how to grow lawns, as I was living at mom's back then. Do you realize how many books there are on lawn care???? Do you know how many of them are for professional types, not homeowners? I used to have certain songs run through my head, depending on which area of her lawn I was mowing. Weird. My yard is too small to achieve the same effect. I can hardly work up to a commercial jingle before I am through.

Best line in the movies about lawns was by Emma Thompson, " ...and a lawn that looks like it had been rolled everyday for 300 years." I need a lawn roller, not just rent one, once in a while. Rollin' rollin' rollin' keep your lawn a rollin'; rollin' with the thunder, Rawhide!
Timing is everything in comedy!

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 06:54:36 am »
We doin' songs now?

They see me mowin'
My front lawn
They all think I'm too white and nerdy

Oh my god, how'd I get so white and nerdy

Wait, wasn't this supposed to be a song about lawns?

Offline surdumil

• Yeah! I'm lookin' at you!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 10:06:25 pm »
Mow, mow, mow your lawn,
Gently to the street.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is obsolete.

(What my robo-mower sings to itself as it approaches technological singularity)

Offline jaybug

• Go Ducks!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 06:06:42 am »
Mow, mow, mow your lawn,
Gently to the street.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is obsolete.

(What my robo-mower sings to itself as it approaches technological singularity)

I just can't agree with Vernor Vinge.

OT. Get off my lawn!

It's been a bear to keep my lawn green this past week. It's just not normal to have near 100 degree F. temps in June here. And the only rain seems to be bearing thunderstorms in the Cascade mountains, so I guess fire season will jump the gun a bit this year. With all the rain we did have earlier this spring, I am sure it will be a big fire season, with lots of fuel loads in the forests and elsewhere. But not in my lawn.

Does anyone know of a water pump that works well for the following conditions; has adequate pressure to run a lawn sprinkler, and not too much flow per hour or minute? I can find lots of pumps that work well for pond fountains, or for de-watering, but not for lawn sprinklers. WEll, I did find some, but they are designed for golf courses, so they are way too much for what I have. They'd pump my pond dry before I blinked. I bet that wold look like a slow explosion if I tried to have some watering system. Those poor, poor fish and tadpoles.

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 09:52:20 am »
try looking for high head height fountain pumps?
those with high head height can drive a sprinker easily.

edit: wait, i just remembered those pumps they use for car cleaning sprays, those things might be effective in your case.
except you need to filter the water intake first, otherwise the debris might kill the pump.
i think they were called power washers or pressure washers, be careful as some of these pumps requires positive pressure feed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 10:20:38 am by kitamesume »

Offline jaybug

• Go Ducks!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 05:35:16 am »

edit: wait, i just remembered those pumps they use for car cleaning sprays, those things might be effective in your case.
except you need to filter the water intake first, otherwise the debris might kill the pump.
i think they were called power washers or pressure washers, be careful as some of these pumps requires positive pressure feed.

I don't think I want to try watering my lawn with 1200 psi water.  High head height in relation to pumps refers to suction head. How high can the pump be above the source water? What I need is pump discharge pressure, and not too much. Garden hoses only operate around the 60 psi range. And then only about 4 gpm (@15 liters per  minute) Any mnore, and I will have to always use multiple hoses, and have to wonder if I'll suck the pond dry, and....oops.

Am going to need to filter the pump suction anyway; fish, baby frogs, daphnia, water bears etc.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 01:03:33 pm »

I don't think I want to try watering my lawn with 1200 psi water.  High head height in relation to pumps refers to suction head. How high can the pump be above the source water? What I need is pump discharge pressure, and not too much. Garden hoses only operate around the 60 psi range. And then only about 4 gpm (@15 liters per  minute) Any mnore, and I will have to always use multiple hoses, and have to wonder if I'll suck the pond dry, and....oops.

Am going to need to filter the pump suction anyway; fish, baby frogs, daphnia, water bears etc.

its the opposite, head height is how high they can push the water up.
though on either case if you can suck in water at high pressure then obviously you can push water at high pressure.
otherwise... wait, why would you put a pump above a fountain? how do you even put a pump above a fountain...

i don't think any pump would float on top of that.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:20:41 pm by kitamesume »

Offline halfelite

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 11:33:18 pm »
You are looking to big. http://www.amazon.com/Simer-3415P-Spinkler-System-Pump/dp/B009ZTV15U?ie=UTF8&keywords=sprinkler%20pump&qid=1465421540&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7  buy that and then put a well foot valve on the hose. Then go to the fish tank store and buy one of the filter socks to wrap around the well foot and you should keep all muck/fish/debris out of it.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 11:49:58 pm »
i guess so, high head height fountain pumps can push water 10meters off the ground, as for the GPM it depends on the pump.

Offline jaybug

• Go Ducks!
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 03:26:45 am »
oh 1/2sies, how could you?!? Or did you just want me to play with your nipples (1-1/2")?

Kita, note how even 1/2sies pump is to be placed above the fluid to be pumped. These kind of pumps are often not self-priming.

OT, how often do you sharpen your blade? I do mine when the grass tips looks kind of shredded. Glad I don't have a reel type mower anymore.