Author Topic: Lawn mowing techniques.  (Read 1502 times)

Online kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
Re: Lawn mowing techniques.
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 04:17:25 am »
yes i know, they're mostly used on water mains as direct source, but could be used in standing water so long as you fill it up first.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 08:52:25 am »
oh 1/2sies, how could you?!? Or did you just want me to play with your nipples (1-1/2")?

Kita, note how even 1/2sies pump is to be placed above the fluid to be pumped. These kind of pumps are often not self-priming.

OT, how often do you sharpen your blade? I do mine when the grass tips looks kind of shredded. Glad I don't have a reel type mower anymore.

It is self priming after first fill. Hence the well foot needed or a check valve so the pump never goes dry. Works the same as your standard pool pump as long as the pump never goes dry it will prime.

So put pump inlet with filter in water have a check valve before the pump so it does not drain out the inlet when you power it down. 

I got bored and decided to draw you some plans in paint haha. I love DIY projects so get to it.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:07:16 am by halfelite »

Offline jaybug

• Go Ducks!
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 12:49:53 am »
I'm gonna go with a sand filter, not screen. I'll need to make sure it can back flush every once in a while. But it will kill less living stuff in the water than a screen, and foul less frequently.

Also, I don't need a pump that has a 1 1/2" discharge. Most garden hoses are 5/8" and some 3/4", so that tells me there is too much water for use as small scale irrigation. You get either pressure or flow. The ones that have pressure are ridiculous, as they are for larger scale irrigation systems, and cost hella lot of cash. I don't want to spend $1,000 or more for what I need.

I probably need to look at screw type pumps rather than centrifugal pumps. The former get pressure, while the latter is better at volume needs. Both are positive displacement pumps, but screw pumps are not variable flow like centrifugal pumps. Meaning I could reduce the flow, but would not raise the pressure at discharge.

Does anyone use an non-motorized reel type lawn mower, to be the most green, while still keeping a traditional lawn? I've thought about it off and on for years, but have not done so due to needing to keep the grass shorter, and rolled more often, and watered more too. Dunno, maybe it's worth the extra exercise and mow everyday.
Timing is everything in comedy!

Online kitamesume

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 03:06:07 am »
i just suddenly remembered chinese-style front yards, those with zen garden for a front yard instead of green lawn.

looking up on it, apparently some people did a variation of it for a low-maintenance front yard, the desertscape lawn.

Offline DefyingChick

• its 'Defying Chicken', but no matter ^^
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 07:11:42 pm »
I have a new techniqe, to protect myself from pollen. I now use a half-mask with 2 coalfilters, and sealed goggles. It still hurts.

Offline jaybug

• Go Ducks!
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 01:22:39 am »
We have a different kind of desert in eastern Oregon, no cacti; purple sage instead.

Would be cool to grow some blue agave succulents. Tequila!

Online kitamesume

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 01:54:03 am »
i kinda like the idea of a desertscape, a bit of a twist is putting a small pond like an oasis.
a pond would be a good buffer for watering the plants during the dry seasons.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:58:54 am by kitamesume »

Online Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 02:56:06 am »
I live in the city. No lawn to mow. Yay!
Altmed is altfact!

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2016, 03:31:41 am »
A desert scape is somewhat less than practical if yiu have kids / pets / 30mx15m front yard (what is that, 450sqm?)

Online kitamesume

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2016, 03:38:52 am »
actually, a desertscape using sand instead of pebbles can become one gigantic sandbox, or at least some parts of it.
just give your kids shovels and buckets and let them build sand castles.

your pet will also love all that sand, you'll have a fun time filling up all those dugged up holes, hehehehe.
well at least its much better than having your grass lawn full of holes, that would be a headache.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:52:19 am by kitamesume »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 04:17:47 am »
Until the kids are playing in sand filled with excrement

Offline jaybug

• Go Ducks!
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 04:33:20 am »

Nyaa!!!

Desertscape only works here for 3 months of the year. The rest of the year it's mudscaping. I guess that would look good with 4x4 trucks parked all over the lawn, for some. TO me; Get Off My Lawn!

For western Oregon planting a Christmas tree farm, and then never cutting them down, would be more practical. At least with firs, pines, cedars, and sequoia sequoia you have GHG fighters24/7 365, unlike white oak trees, which would work here too in general.

Online kitamesume

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 04:59:12 am »
thats why mom paved the front yard, too messy with soil/sand/gravel or tuft.

Desertscape only works here for 3 months of the year. The rest of the year it's mudscaping.
i've seen a well drained desertscape, the japanese are quite good at it.

at least they aren't as messy as those grass tuft turned muddy mess.
those things with exposed soil literally turns into a marsh during the rainy seasons.

Offline Semnae

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 08:34:21 am »
I used the "apple peeler" method mentioned earlier exclusively. For large lawns with lots of trees, I'll divide it into several rectangles and do each one separately. Riding lawn mowers don't usually turn sharp enough to go straight back and forth in rows. Lately I've just been hiring someone else to mow because the mower broke down, and that shit ain't cheap.

Offline jaybug

• Go Ducks!
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 02:24:01 am »
Finally having some 90 degree days now. Pain in the ass to have to keep moving the sprinkler around the yard, so as to not over water some spot or water the street. At least there is one spot I can use an impact sprinkler on, so I took a nap. Postage stamp lawns that are not square suck.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2016, 02:37:26 am »
I haven't mowed my lawn in almost 6 weeks.
The only good thing about winter: slow growing grass.

Online kitamesume

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 03:42:40 am »
how do you guys cope during the rainy seasons?

its nasty when theres too much rainfall...
the ground gets muddy, grass grows in fast-forward, and worse wheels leave deep trail marks.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 03:49:59 am »
I live on a hill. Rain pretty much runs off before it gets too bad.
When it does get bad, I just go slower and try not to turn too sharp lest I not actually turn at all.

Mostly, when wet, I have issues with traction.
My mower can rip through 2 foot long, wet grass no issue, but get even one slippery patch and you're gonna have to get off and push.

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2016, 06:29:36 am »
I wait until it dries out to mow. Otherwise it clump up in the mower and gets shot out in nuggets

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline jaybug

• Go Ducks!
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2016, 12:34:02 am »
You guys are making me miss my old two-stroke Snapper commercial mower. That thing would bag grass in the rain, and not have problems. Lighter than most mowers too, so less wheel ruts. And it was only 4 1/2 horsepower. It just wasn't the best mower for mulching.

My current mower is worse at everything. But it was cheap. yay.

Been watering every other day now. Thinking that if I water deeper, rather than more often, maybe I will use less water, but still have nice grass, and flowers.