Author Topic: Gantz: O  (Read 1195 times)

Online Takeshi

Gantz: O
« on: June 05, 2016, 06:16:16 am »
https://youtu.be/ZSUw4rVb9BM

Optimistic that we finally get a proper animation adaptation of the manga. Funny we don't see Kei though, only Kato.

Offline dbml

Re: Gantz: O
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:22:57 am »
Hoooooly shit. The Osaka arc!? Whaaaaat. Yes. Yes yes yes!

If it wasn't obvious, I'm super excited for this.

Optimistic that we finally get a proper animation adaptation of the manga. Funny we don't see Kei though, only Kato.

There's a very good reason why you don't see him ;)

Offline xfreidax

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 05:45:27 pm »
Looks like a movie? That CG looks pretty good though as a stand alone movie, it wouldn't make any sense to anyone who has not read the manga. Do the live action movie adaptations go further than the old anime TV series?

Offline Koby

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 09:08:09 am »
Animation looks fantastic! HYPED!

Online Takeshi

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 01:00:11 pm »
There's a very good reason why you don't see him ;)
Right, it's been so long that I don't remember that specific arc.

Looks like a movie? That CG looks pretty good though as a stand alone movie, it wouldn't make any sense to anyone who has not read the manga. Do the live action movie adaptations go further than the old anime TV series?
That's right, seems weird to adapt this arc. It doesn't make sense to me, why wouldn't they start at the beginning? And do they assume their target audience has already seen the former stuff? Are they continuing from the old anime series?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 01:06:26 pm by Takeshi »

Offline xfreidax

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 08:56:36 pm »
Last arc in TV series deviated from the manga, which actually can be fixed if any new adaptation picks up from the temple arc. But between the temple arc and Osaka arc, there's actually a lot of story development that I don't think has been adapted in any form on TV or movies. If all you've seen is the old TV series, you will know only 2 characters in the Osaka arc. That's how much is missing.

Another trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFIC20wGbCU
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:15:17 am by xfreidax »

Online Takeshi

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 08:24:02 pm »
I read the entire manga though I'm probably still going to be lost if I don't do some research before watching this. Another thing, it's a movie. Unless it's 2:30 hours long it's fairly correct to assume that won't be the entire arc that's adapted, right?

Offline orchidal

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 11:00:45 pm »
Is anyone else super-hype for this?
Blame! and Gantz:O are probably the only upcoming anime titles I'm looking forward to atm.
I doubt they'll be able to cram the full arc in but judging by the trailers and the music vid,
we are getting so many more yokai in this than I previously imagined!!!

Looking like we'll even see Kurono's fateful run-in before the yokai mission.

Hoping it's successful enough to greenlight more films based on isolated arcs.
I personally don't need much continuity, nor something to bridge the gaps.

The way I see it, see series was a great run that closed its own circle, and shouldn't/won't be tied to this cgi film at all.
Cherry picking manga arcs for film adaptations could really be a great opportunity for a sprawling, yet episodic, series such as Gantz.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:15:11 pm by orchidal »

Offline orchidal

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 01:22:26 am »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-02-20/netflix-adds-gantz-o-cg-anime-film-with-english-dub/.112445

available now on NETFLIX

Has anyone else seen this yet?
What are your thoughts?

Online Takeshi

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 12:20:41 am »
Thanks for the notice, orc. Saw it just now. Holy fuck, I'm buying the Blu-Ray 'case damn I want more of this stuff. I rated it 10 on IMDB and 5 on Netflix too although I'm not sure how much that would help.

Offline dbml

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 03:46:48 am »
Thanks for the notice, orc. Saw it just now. Holy fuck, I'm buying the Blu-Ray 'case damn I want more of this stuff. I rated it 10 on IMDB and 5 on Netflix too although I'm not sure how much that would help.

So it's good? Is it a good adaptation of the arc?

Online Takeshi

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 08:47:31 am »

So it's good? Is it a good adaptation of the arc?
It's been a while since I've read the manga so maybe some plot points didn't make it. I can't remember. But the presentation is absolutely top-notch. The movie felt whole when I watched it. And came full circle in the end for me.

Now I hope we can get a second movie so my favourite character, Kaze, can get to show up and fuck up aliens.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:53:59 am by Takeshi »

Offline orchidal

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 09:28:15 pm »
Couldn't agree more! I rated it top tier on both sites as well. Gantz O was a pure joy to watch. So much eye candy. It's Gantz best arc...and the last 5min. opens it up to interpretation that everything that happened before Osaka (in the manga) could still have potentially taken place in this adapted version.

The anime series had a better ending than the manga series...but I wouldn't mind seeing the final manga arc adapted next (if we are to get anything else). If this is all we get: I'm still totally satisfied.

With Gantz O now and then the BLAME! movie coming to Netflix later in May --this year's looking good for us oldschool hyperviolence-thirsty anime fans.

Offline dbml

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 02:44:58 am »
That's great to hear. Can't wait to watch it now. Definitely my favorite arc in the manga as well so, yup. You've gotten me excited for it.

Offline orchidal

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 03:19:43 am »
Just be prepared: this is an adaptation. So some scenes ans character arcs are omitted and other's reinterpreted/rearranged into a new chronology in order to make this film act as a standalone (plus and entry point for newcomers). If your willing to accept that then it's extremely enjoyable, but I can see some well-versed in previous Gantz canon a bit thrown off.

The changes were a good move imo. Gantz was never meant to be taken to seriously anyway. Just roll with it.