Author Topic: Disk Overload 100% in uTorrent v.3.x  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Al_Sleeper

Disk Overload 100% in uTorrent v.3.x
« on: June 15, 2016, 07:32:01 am »
I encountered this old problem while dealing with a very large torrent in uTorrent v.3.2.3.
The problem can be solved to a large extent by increasing write cache size in the settings.
In my case, it disappeared almost completely when I increased it from 32 MB to 128 MB.

Offline sneaker2

Re: Disk Overload 100% in uTorrent v.3.x
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 02:08:35 pm »
MihoKiyo wrote a very extensive post about the problem:
https://forums.bakabt.me/index.php?topic=40571.0

tl;dr: Run µtorrent with admin rights. (This also works for some other clients, including qbittorrent.)

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »
It was not during addition of a new torrent, it was in the process of downloading data, several hours after the torrent had been started.

Offline sneaker2

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 05:36:02 pm »
I see.

(For people having these problems I'd suggest testing a newer version as the µtorrent team has worked on the caching but as we all know those still aren't allowed on bbt.)

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 08:14:38 pm »
Or using an older version 1.8.5 or 2.2.1 which is less likely to experience these problems and is allowed on BakaBT
That said I know that some people experienced such problems on older versions as well, but using the newest version does not necessarily mean that those problems will definitely go away

Offline Govna

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 06:19:08 pm »
MihoKiyo wrote a very extensive post about the problem:
https://forums.bakabt.me/index.php?topic=40571.0

tl;dr: Run µtorrent with admin rights. (This also works for some other clients, including qbittorrent.)

Running something as admin is not a solution.

Offline Koby

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 10:58:02 pm »
This error usually means you're writing to your drive faster than it is able which is typically only a problem with slow drives or externals connected by USB2.0. One solution is to simply slow down your download speed. Or if it's USB3 capable, try using that.

Another possibility is that the drive is starting to go bad.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:02:29 pm by Koby »

Offline Ma Junior

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 04:05:04 pm »
Haha learning new stuff from ya guys!
Now I know why I switched to Vuze Leap (do due disk overload and 0kb/s / lower speeds). Yet recently it stopped downloading stuff from Bakabt so I installed utorrent again.

Now running 3.3.1 got same problem;/
"Disk overloaded 100%" -it is fine but then jump 20-60-100% and the transfer goes down;// -HAPPENED after adding the file, few minutes and pufff disk overloaded-slow speeds.

Didnt help enabling cache (normal 128) so I did 256 but it happens again "disk overloaded 100% and transfer goes down"

I'm after 78GB file. Got 9GB free space on Windows paritition and 90GB where the file will be downloaded.

HELP

EDIT:
Decided to multiply it to 512-didnt work, then 1024mb and it doubled download speed from 1.4 to 3MB/s.
AFTER FEW MINUTES IT DOES IT AGAIN fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk.
1800 is maximum but what happens after it;/ i'm clueless now if it also shows disk overload at 1800;/

HELP.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:15:27 pm by Ma Junior »

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 04:13:53 pm »
If the torrent in question contains several large files, try downloading them sequentially. In my case, there is almost no disk overload if the size of files being downloaded simultaneously is below 50 GB.

Offline Ma Junior

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 04:22:28 pm »
Will try that (or lowering download speeds) as utorrent turned itself off just like this being set at 1800mb cache maximum (yet was downloading fine 3MB/s)>.< thanks. Kinda bummer.
There's no use in switching to different torrent client, to fix disk overloaded issue, or is it?

I'm acquiring 4 to 10TB 3.5 WD disks + MB881U3-1SA / MB981U3S-1S / MB561US and  to make a data archive -which one would u recommend to avoid disk overloading and smooth fast downloading? OR IS IT NOT ONLY THE FAULT OF DISK? I'm using internet on cable directly to my laptop. What do I have to do, to avoid overloading and good speeds?

Edit:
changing cache to 1800 maximum did indeed the job but after 10minutes it slowered my pc (watching online shows was impossible) and after it unfreezed, it turned off again. So yeah. Gotta try now downloading stuff piece by piece as u said.

Working, thanks:>
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:07:50 pm by Ma Junior »

Offline Bob2004

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 08:28:29 pm »
Also make sure to disable the "Pre-allocate all files" option if you're going to be downloading really big torrents like that. I imagine trying to allocate 78GB of data in one go would overload any drive, especially when there's so little free space left over afterwards.

Offline Ma Junior

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 11:30:04 pm »
Boob2004 -yeah it would be a hustle. Yet it is disabled by default I guess (my case).

Still...downloading 78GB and failing again.
Decided to go with Sleeper advice of partial downloading.
First 100 eps was fine, 101-150 at first too (yet while watching xmen had to turn everything off coz it was buffering even tho offline) and restarted the PC.
Turned utorrent once again, and encountered disk overloading 100% >.< not even disk cache to 1024 helped -after few minutes went disk overloaded one more time fuk.

So the guilty is my pc or disk. OR UTORRENT?

edit: decided to put 1-100 in "dont download" mode. And it works, for now...

ps. 2 what 3.5 HDD would u reccomend? WD RED? or which one? I want to avoid disk overloading;// (read my previous post what I want to build.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:13:16 am by Ma Junior »

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 10:21:02 am »
IIRC, this problem is mostly specific to uTorrent/BitTorrent. Use a different client (e.g. Vuze or qbittorrent) for very large torrent files to avoid it. You can also test older builds of uTorrent (1.8.5 and 2.2.1).

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 05:35:58 pm »
I've used 2.2.1 for years, and it didn't choke on the 434 GB torrent (yes, really; all PS1 NTSC games, minus the Barbie and other silly children's games :P) I downloaded, which is the largest I've ever done.  I don't honestly recall for sure if I had preallocation turned off but to avoid fragmentation, I have it on as a rule, so *shrug* most likely it was on.

That's right, no choking, no stalling, no "disk overload"...  None of that.  Yeah, my system ran a bit slower due to heavily slowed drive access times for a while, of course, but beyond that, nothing.  And, as noted above, you don't see this problem at all in clients from most other sources.

Sorry, still not even slightly impressed by uTorrent 3.x.x nor the dev team responsible for it.

Offline sneaker2

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 06:08:16 pm »
That's right, no choking, no stalling, no "disk overload"...  None of that.  Yeah, my system ran a bit slower due to heavily slowed drive access times for a while, of course, but beyond that, nothing.  And, as noted above, you don't see this problem at all in clients from most other sources.
Except you do, though. Had "Disk I/O" with qbittorrent several times and if you Google that you'll find lots of results. It's a problem of Windows in combination with the standard practice of torrent clients to request random pieces. µTorrent dev has a solution for that problem that neither fragments nor stresses the HDD - qBittorrent and others copied that. It's explained in the guide that was linked in the first answer.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 06:17:13 pm »
Except I didn't and don't, though.  Sorry, but I was there, and the torrent downloaded fine, while I was still using the PC.  It took days; it's not like issues wouldn't have been obvious.  Current versions of uTorrent 3.x.x tend to CRASH when you download extreme torrents, FFS, as witnessed by many posts on uTorrent's fora, as well as the necessity to post "optimized setups" for users to avoid the issue.  Excuse me?  They couldn't have that setup as the default, FFS?  Nice!

Older versions of uTorrent may have encountered the same problem, but they didn't completely choke themselves or the entire PC, if so.  That behavior has NOT improved since then, and in fact is still worse than 2.2.1.

Whatever.  They've done little to fix the problem, and there's no excuse.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:32:39 pm by Bozobub »

Offline Bob2004

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 08:04:18 pm »
Except you do, though. Had "Disk I/O" with qbittorrent several times and if you Google that you'll find lots of results. It's a problem of Windows in combination with the standard practice of torrent clients to request random pieces. µTorrent dev has a solution for that problem that neither fragments nor stresses the HDD - qBittorrent and others copied that. It's explained in the guide that was linked in the first answer.

Hm. In that case, it may be that my advice was completely wrong, and turning preallocation on might solve the issue. If it's just allocating the whole lot in one go, then there's no longer any issue with it constantly allocating random pieces. I've never had it on, and also never had any issues, but it might be worth a try before switching clients or buying new hardware.

Offline sneaker2

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 08:39:13 pm »
The problem is not allocating random pieces. The problem is zeroing/allocating huge files. You cannot zero 100 GB instantly on an HDD, it takes several minutes. If you turn off pre-allocating it just means the client will wait until a piece is received before allocating. But with a fast connection you will receive at least one piece of each file in a very short amount of time anyways unless maybe the files are spread over very many files. It might work every now and then but it's a hit-and-miss and better cache management might mitigate the problem to some extent but it's better to avoid it in the first place.

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 08:43:51 pm »
IIRC, I have pre-allocation turned on, and zeroing turned off.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 08:51:16 pm »
The problem is not allocating random pieces. The problem is zeroing/allocating huge files. You cannot zero 100 GB instantly on an HDD, it takes several minutes. If you turn off pre-allocating it just means the client will wait until a piece is received before allocating. But with a fast connection you will receive at least one piece of each file in a very short amount of time anyways unless maybe the files are spread over very many files. It might work every now and then but it's a hit-and-miss and better cache management might mitigate the problem to some extent but it's better to avoid it in the first place.
IIRC, I have pre-allocation turned on, and zeroing turned off.
Um...  Yeah.

Funny, I've never experienced similar problems with any client but uTorrent 3.x.x.  Other clients, including earlier versions, may encounter the same issues but they simply handle the problem far better.  Denials will not erase empirical fact, sorry.

Nor is this a new problem; it's been happening since 3.0.

Nor does the uTorrent forum community, including mods, handle the issue.

FFS, I just caught a uTorrent forum mod recommending deleting/redownloading a problematic torrent, instead of 1st force-checking within the client, then running CHKDSK.  Seriously..?!  Nice way to burn bandwidth and risk spreading HD problems ::) .