Author Topic: Disk Overload 100% in uTorrent v.3.x  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Ma Junior

Re: Disk Overload 100% in uTorrent v.3.x
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 10:55:00 pm »
So well...it was doing fine on 1024 cache and "dont download" mode with eps arleady downloaded...until 200eps (358 total).
No matter what I did (turning on and off pc, restarting program, no background actions, enabling/disabling cache or pre-location) it went once again to disk overload 100%.

Now gotta try Bozobub way and downgrade the program. We will see.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 01:24:53 am »
uTorrent (ALL versions) also breaks down when you have a LOT of torrents, although I don't recall how many; it was in the many thousands, I believe, possibly as many as 10,000.  I was involved in trying to help a user who was having that issue, and he eventually had to go with a different client.  And no, I don't remember which, sadly :-[, nor can I find the specific thread (although it IS around here somewhere :P).  So it's entirely possible you may have to ditch the client altogether, if the "downgrade" doesn't help.

That said, yeah, give 2.2.1 a try, maybe that'll help.

Offline sneaker2

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 01:43:03 am »
Funny, I've never experienced similar problems with any client but uTorrent 3.x.x.  Other clients, including earlier versions, may encounter the same issues but they simply handle the problem far better.  Denials will not erase empirical fact, sorry.
Your personal experience is not any more "empirical fact" than my experience. I never had the problem using µtorrent but I had it using qBittorrent. As did others.
Again: no client can write 100 GB instantly onto an HDD. They all have to work-around the problem which may or may not work depending on the system.

Nor is this a new problem; it's been happening since 3.0.
Indeed, there are reports about such problems going back to the 1.x versions.

Nor does the uTorrent forum community, including mods, handle the issue.
Except they revised the caching system yet again plus "invented" a proper solution copied by other clients. People sticking to 3+ years old versions will never profit from any changes, naturally.

(turning on and off pc, restarting program, no background actions, enabling/disabling cache or pre-location)
Not this:
1. set "diskio.no_zero" to "true", "diskio.sparse_files" to "false"
2. stop and delete torrent/files
3. restart µtorrent with elevated rights (needs to be done always)
4. re-add and start torrent
?
(This also works with qBittorrent and older µTorrent in case you want to try a different client. Torrent re-adding/re-starting may or may not be required.)

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 02:32:09 am »
Sorry, instant fail.  NO non-administrative program, especially one that engages in mass I/O over the internet, should require Admin rights to operate properly.  Period.  Nor will that help anyone who simply doesn't have Admin access.  And no, it's not OK when games require this either, so don't bother going there; it's terrible practice and a security risk.

Additionally, I regularly try newer versions, every so often, to see if the situation has improved enough to drop 2.2.1.  Again, sorry, but no; assumption fail.

Nor am I alone in my opinion or what I have seen, as a simple Google search for "utorrent 3. (issue OR problem)" immediately reveals.

Nor is uTorrent the best client, no matter WHAT version, for more extreme use cases, as already has been clearly established by many users, both here on BakaBT and elsewhere.  Drop the fanboi-ism, please.

Offline sneaker2

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 02:50:04 am »
The problem is Microsoft. The best solution for this problem requires Admin rights, unfortunately. No needless writing, no overload, no disk fragmentation. I can accept the security argument, though I wouldn't overblow it because most interesting stuff happens in user space anyways ( https://xkcd.com/1200/ ). Then again, you shouldn't be using old µTorrent if concerned about security anyway because it has known exploits.

I never said µTorrent is the best client. I'm mostly using qBittorrent myself nowadays (with elevated rights).

Nor am I alone in my opinion or what I have seen, as a simple Google search for "utorrent 3. (issue OR problem)" immediately reveals.
You will find this for any client.

Offline Ma Junior

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2016, 08:59:52 pm »
It was doing fine downloading piece 200-250 and 251-300 with finished files being still ON status but now as I decided to go with 301-358, it went back to disk overloaded. Even if I pauzed those finished files -weirdddd. Turned on disk cache to 1024 once again,downloading 301-340 only, we will see..but after this download, gotta try sneaker2 idea.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:03:57 pm by Ma Junior »

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 01:07:41 am »
You simply shouldn't have to jump through those hoops.  Try a different client, whether a "downgrade" or something entirely different.

Offline Govna

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2016, 08:55:25 pm »
Maybe his disk is just overloaded.