Author Topic: I can download, but I can't seed.  (Read 713 times)

Offline Mink182

• Tattoo artist
I can download, but I can't seed.
« on: July 08, 2016, 07:47:42 am »
From time to time, this problem happens to me but eventually gets solved without me doing anything at all really...

I can download no problem at 3.7mbps, which is the highest I can download anyways, and I usually get about 350, 400 kbps upload, but right now I get about 35kbps when I actually get any upload at all.

Dunno why, haven't changed anything about my settings, I don't use DHCP, open ports, I don't use any firewall or antivirus...

Here's a screenshot of my uTorrent 2.0.4, that little red symbol down there is saying "Not Connectable A firewall/router is limiting you network traffic"
http://i.imgur.com/KGlUqiO.png

I selected Shokugeki no Soma on purpose, under status, where it says "funcionando", that means working.

If anyone has this issue, please help me, last thing I wanna do is format my PC because of a torrent issue.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:01:36 am by Mink182 »

Offline Sashamaru

• Staff
  • Making tsunderes dere
Re: I can download, but I can't seed.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 07:59:26 am »
Don't post screenshots that include the BakaBT announce URL, as it contains your passkey.

Have you tried using other ports?

Offline Mink182

• Tattoo artist
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 08:01:15 am »
OH YEAH, damn, forgot about that, lol, thanks. Edited.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 08:17:11 am »
As for your seeding "issue", BakaBT is simply heavily "overseeded".  You'll need roughly 20 torrents in "Forced seeding" mode to see reliable activity, and 100+ to max out most broadband upload pipes.  No, I'm not exaggerating.

Offline Mink182

• Tattoo artist
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 05:08:32 am »
Makes sense, cause my other trackers are still working fine, despite the red symbol.
I still wasn't able to seed anything from Shokugeki no Soma and I got a 0.075 ratio from Garden of Words lol.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 05:49:14 am »
If you're patient and don't go on any huge download rampages, it's not terribly difficult to maintain the 0.1 ratio (actually slightly under) cutoff.  It's not much more difficult to gain "Power User" status (0.5 ratio) either.

If you end up having trouble maintaining ratio, even with multiple torrents active, you might try (in no particular order):
- Attain "Power User" status, which lets you download torrents significantly before lower-status and public-key users.
- Download "Freeleech" (Marked with a green "F") torrents, which still give upload credit but do not impact your download "debit".
- Sort the list by both leechers AND seeders (yes, check both) to find less-seeded and/or heavily-leeched torrents.  You can do this by clicking the "S" or "L" in the "DSL" column label on the right of the browse list.
- Download the exact same content elsewhere and upload here.  NyaaTorrents and the various fansub/rip groups' websites are great resources for this.  This is the most reliable method of those considered "acceptable" by most users, except possibly seedboxes.
- Rent a seedbox.  This has the added benefit of greatly reducing your exposure to RIAA/MPAA/other rightsholder/legal attention, but it's also not free.

You can also simply download publicly, then seed under your own account, but this is frowned upon by many, if not most users (I don't particularly care, a leecher is a leecher is a leecher, and helps MY ratio :P).  While I don't particularly agree, the question does remain:  Why bother maintaining a ratio here in the 1st place, if you're just going to game the system, since you don't actually have to anyway?  That said, it is not actually against site rules, so do as you feel is best.

All that mess aside, I currently have a ratio of 3.531 (8744 GB down, 2476 GB up) and have done none of these extra steps, except incidentally when it matches what I actually want to watch. Rather, at times I've had over 300 torrents in "Force start" (AKA "forced seeding") going simultaneously.  Be aware, however, that many people's ISPs have monthly bandwidth caps (for example, Comcast in the US currently has a 300 GB/mo. cap), and you may face additional charges, or even slowdown or cutoff of services, if you take it too far; I was banned from Comcast for a year, for transferring (both up and down) about 3 TB in 2 months, years ago :-\.

The REAL "magic" to it is simply seeding as many torrents as possible, as constantly as possible, for as long as possible.  Remember, however, that in the event it all goes to hell and you end up not being able to maintain your ratio, you don't have to; there's absolutely nothing wrong with simply using the tracker as a public user, although it's still good manners to seed as long as possible, even then.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 05:59:08 am by Bozobub »