Author Topic: Paged fault in a non paged area  (Read 335 times)

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
Paged fault in a non paged area
« on: July 19, 2016, 05:32:06 am »
Every time I start running torrents lately I get blue screened and the message I always get is Paged Fault in a non Paged Area. I'm running windows 10 with uTorrent 2.2.1 because when I ran later versions, the program couldn't ever find seeds or peers.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
Re: Paged fault in a non paged area
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:36:52 am »
I remember this happening a few years ago, but not due to torrents. I think it was the RAM or something.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 05:52:23 am »
I've been getting answers ranging from make the program have admin access, to reinstall everything.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 06:06:31 am »
Does the Event Log give you any useful details?
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 06:13:06 am »
Check your system for overheating and possible hardware elements failures. In general, it is caused by memory management problems, IIRC.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 09:00:43 am »
First off, there are many reasons this could be happening; a Google search is a good idea.  This will at least give you a clearer picture of why this can happen.

Second, Many antiviruses, but most especially Symantec/Norton, have been known to cause this error.  Try temporarily disabling your AV, assuming you use one, and see if the error continues to appear.

Next, run a good RAM diagnostic.  The one built-in to Windows is fine (Start>"memory diagnostic" in the searchbox will find it).   Windows will tell you it needs to be scheduled on the next boot; go ahead and do exactly that.  If you find any problems, simply reseating your RAM may be sufficient.  If that fails, you need a new RAM module; if you have more than one, you can simply remove the faulty module (with the power off, and after grounding yourself on the PC's chassis :o !) until you can replace it.

Another common cause of this error this is a hard drive I/O error in the middle of the paging file.  This can be exacerbated by excessive fragmentation.  Try the following steps (I am assuming you are using the default pagefile location on the C: drive; if not, simply replace "C:" with whichever drive you are using for the pagefile):
  • Open Start, and in the searchbox type "cmd" or "command" to open a command window.
  • In the command window that appears, type "chkdsk c: /r /v" and hit Enter.  Windows will notify you that this can only be done on the next reboot.  Confirm, and then reboot. (Note:  This will likely take a LONG time, possibly a few hours on very large drives, because the "/r" command makes CHKDSK perform a full surface scan/repair of the drive.  Be patient and let it finish.
  • Open Start, right-click "Computer" , and then click Properties, or, if you have "Computer" on your desktop, you can do the same there.
  • Click the Advanced system settings tab.
  • Under Performance, click Settings.
  • Click the Advanced tab.
  • Under Virtual Memory, click Change.
  • Click "No paging file". Click OK, OK, OK to leave the dialog and accept the changes.  Don't reboot yet, when Windows asks!
  • Schedule a defragmentation of your boot drive (Start>Computer>Right-click the C: drive, select Properties, Tools, and "Defragment now"). for the next boot and reboot.  You may not have to schedule/reboot for any other drive than C:, if you moved your paging file, it may simply start right away.
  • Once the defrag is completed and you're back to your desktop, Open Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  • Click the Advanced System settings tab.
  • Under Performance, click Settings.
  • Click the Advanced tab.
  • Under Virtual Memory, click Change.
  • You now have two choices:  Either select "System managed" OR choose a static size (use the same number for the low and high limits).  Choosing a static size (I recommend using the number Windows recommends for the high end of the range) will prevent paging file fragmentation, as well as prevent Windows from thrashing when it changes the paging file's size, but letting Windows do the management is acceptable, if you don't mind doing this again eventually.  Either way, once you've chosen, click OK, OK, OK to save your changes and exit the dialog, then reboot one last time.

I know it seems like a pain, but there's a reasonably good chance one of these steps will fix the problem, especially repairing the pagefile.  Let me know how it turns out...

Note:  These steps will work on any version of Windows from XP on, but "Computer" is called "My Computer" in XP.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:12:37 am by Bozobub »