Author Topic: Will piracy survive TPP and rule 41?  (Read 2575 times)

Offline tokigoi

Will piracy survive TPP and rule 41?
« on: August 17, 2016, 02:13:00 am »
First TPP: Only talking about the IP parts, it will be mandatory that the countries involved have their ISPs police their users online activity for anything "illegal", it makes uploading/downloading/streaming a felony even if you're not making money from it and makes fair use even weaker than before (fair use will be optional).
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/08/rock-against-tpp-heads-portland-seattle-and-san-francisco

Rule 41: Allows any judge to issue a warrant to seize data if one is using privacy protecting tools which means Tor is screwed, VPNs are screwed which means a possible work around TPP will be met with FBI hacking. Also rule 41 allows a judge to issue a search warrant to hack or seize PCs that have been infected by malware/part of a botnet. The above changes to rule 41 take effect this December 1st, congress is not going to reject (or even look at it to accept them) the changes unless it affects them personally.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/04/rule-41-little-known-committee-proposes-grant-new-hacking-powers-government

I think we're screwed, what do you guys think is going to happen?

Offline xfreidax

Re: Will piracy survive TPP and rule 41?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 09:58:12 am »
Trump swears he'll kill TPP. Hillary is now singing the same tune. Unless they're both playing bait n switch, I think chances are good that TPP is dead. Which is kinda funny because the TPP that exist today is essentially an American creation.

Of the two, Trump is more convincing in his rhetoric to kill the trade pact. So vote Trump if you're American!

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 04:05:41 pm »
Just make sure you guys in the US never assume TPP is really dead and things should be OK for now.
Often enough the assholes will just reword it slightly and bring it out again with a different abbreviation.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:45:49 pm »
Uploading/downloading/streaming is already illegal and jailable here (Australia)
I have never heard of a single person being jailed though. Infact, the last 'major' downloader who nabbed almost1TB just in downloads in less than 24 hours, was HIRED by the government owned ISP after he was caught. That should tell you how important our government thinks fighting piracy is.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 09:51:46 pm »
It wont happen. A US federal Judge has already made claim that

"Specifically, there is nothing linking the IP address location to the identity of the person actually downloading and viewing the copyrighted material and nothing establishing that the person actually lives in this district.

"Even if this IP address is located within a residence, geolocation software cannot identify who have access to that residence's computer and who would actually be using it to infringe Plaintiff's copyright.""

And a couple of other cases has set a precedence. If it goes forward I would like to see the first court case and how much the person that they arrest/seize gets paid.

Offline Mysterion

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 12:06:40 am »
Australia
I so should have gone to Australia lol. 1TB in <24h  :mml:

"Specifically, there is nothing linking the IP address location to the identity of the person actually downloading and viewing the copyrighted material and nothing establishing that the person actually lives in this district.

"Even if this IP address is located within a residence, geolocation software cannot identify who have access to that residence's computer and who would actually be using it to infringe Plaintiff's copyright.""
Yep, exactly. It sounds very rosy that all these governments will "stop piracy" but in the end it's a very long process and we will hopefully be gone by the time they truly manage to limit it significantly. :whistle: Although KAT going down IS pretty bad >_< So Yeah I will probably download everything I can as soon as possible before anything gets worse just to not repeat the mistake (didn't download many FUNi licensed things from BakaBT earlier). Thankfully, lower proportions of recent anime seasons have been good lol.
I am strong! Stronger than you guys. Very strong. Therefore, I can defeat those Titans! Even on my own.
You are not only weak, but you are spineless cowards. I am disappointed in you.
Just stay here... Stay here and watch.
Mikasa Ackerman

Offline tokigoi

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 09:29:57 am »
I've heard that american law already mostly meets TPP's requirements but being cynical/pessimistic I don't believe that. If my ISP was already required to watch all my online activity I wouldn't even be able to DL a youtube video or anything from uploaded.

Then the reason rule 41 worries me. The fbi already has the "right" to hack computers for reasons but the Dec 1st changes allows them to target VPN users for the reason that they can't verify a persons' exact location.
ex: So I use a VPN so my ISP doesn't see I'm DLing DBS but see a lot of data being used (which could be a trigger from them to assume piracy is occurring anyway) then the fbi steps in and hacks that computer which screws me.

I wish I could move to a country that won't have tpp/tisa/ttip but if I could do that I wouldn't be grabbing stuff. Guess the only option left is to wait and see how much damage is dealt.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 03:05:40 pm »
The FBI don't exactly have the right to hack due to needing illegal means for the really tough stuff. Even if they broke through something they can't use it in legal procedures.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 07:15:45 am »
I vote for piracy of information/pictures/sounds, anything that is not solid matter and can be replicated indefinitely cost free! Best thing ever made by a hacker. He/They will have my eternal gratitude, and the gratitude of the poor that can't afford to buy them on the market!:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:20:15 am by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 07:42:49 am »
well, the internet itself is a public domain, posting something on the internet means you're waiving your rights over it.

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 01:34:33 am »
well, the internet itself is a public domain, posting something on the internet means you're waiving your rights over it.

If the copyright holder posts something and explicitly states it's free to download and share, sure.

On-topic: It doesn't matter if you're careful.

I'd say everything on bakabt the copyright holders don't care enough to go after the downloaders.

Only places you can run into problems are very recent, very popular media from large media companies (Marvel, Warner Bros., etc), and those you can use a VPN and make sure not to upload.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 03:41:07 am »

If the copyright holder posts something and explicitly states it's free to download and share, sure.

well, sort of? it doesn't matter if the means of downloading it is legal or illegal.

you can liken it to leaving your phone on a public table with a banner saying "look at me! steal me!".
even if the phone's owner doesn't really want it to be stolen, its stupid to think that it won't be stolen when its being blatantly left up for grabs.
thus, the moment the phone was left on a public site, it was already no longer within control.

theres a reason why public sites have warnings of "don't leave your valuables unattended" you know, it also applies on the internet.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:45:02 am by kitamesume »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 03:45:53 am »
Yes indeed it shall. https://torrentfreak.com/tribler-makes-bittorrent-impossible-to-shut-down-120208/
The government merely has to make the program illegal, people found hosting mirrors or in possesion, are jailed.

Won't stop it, but it'll damn well hamper progress on it. People will be hesitant, knowing they'll be guaranteed arrest if caught.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 03:52:15 am »
Yes indeed it shall. https://torrentfreak.com/tribler-makes-bittorrent-impossible-to-shut-down-120208/
The government merely has to make the program illegal, people found hosting mirrors or in possesion, are jailed.

Won't stop it, but it'll damn well hamper progress on it. People will be hesitant, knowing they'll be guaranteed arrest if caught.

ha! whoever makes that pass won't ever be getting votes from the masses.
furthermore, they could pressure that person to step down with an impeachment, with the basis off public oppression.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 08:23:39 pm »
The only reason Big torrent sites like KAT get shutdown is the money involved its not the studios losing money its how much easy money they can gain. You can specifically see  in the KAT documents where they sight one bank account with $28 million in it from ad revenue. That is big easy money to target

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 11:42:55 am »

F*ck them who enforce this rules and fuck the government! Piracy is the healthiest thing since the discovery of penicillin and basic antibiotics. It's the cure for the mind both in information like data in all proficient domains of activity, as in entertainment. We do still pay for those (antib) only because it takes effort and resources to produce. Human resources are negligible when they have millions of dollars. They still want more to exploit the poor? F*ck you, give it for free! Piracy all the way! Net pirates are the true heroes of today, not the military.

Somebody asked me once why I don't pay for Shakiras songs, like buying albums, so therefore disrespecting her.
I said to him, she has millions, I have like 12 dollars in my pocket, what about her respect for me? Isn't it the reason she composes songs or does she just want more millions? F*ck her and f*ck you too for not getting a simple thing like that. He said nothing afterwards.
If the artists or companies that sell the internet products are in need, I am all for buying it, pay even triple price, but if they are rich then just congratulate their product, give them all due respect, but take everything you can from them for free! Absolutely morally legit. F*ck the law.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:53:31 am by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 01:18:40 pm »
She has pennies in her account. How else will she afford that new luxury yacht with five star room service, butlers in every cabin and a personal golf cart limo to get around inside it. Let's not forget the dozen Jacuzzi's and three personal helipads on the top of the yacht.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 09:52:35 am »
Exactly. :yes:
What you should buy and not pirate are the valuable but remote songs/pictures/movies/books from less known artists, not the stars, they have plenty.
And if they don't, they deserve to be miserable overspending like I just read up above, like damn retards. Worse then the obnoxious nobility of old!

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 10:31:05 am »
obviously they think spending a lot means getting more prestige, i find it ironic.