Author Topic: Will piracy survive TPP and rule 41?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
Re: Will piracy survive TPP and rule 41?
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2016, 11:56:20 am »
Furthermore, I very often use Google to directly search for torrents :happy:
I am forced now to do that too. Because Isohunt and the best one torrentz2.eu that searches through many other torrent sites by itself has been compromised. Now I see that it works :unsure:... again, I've been trying for a few weeks but every time I hit the enter button, another window appeared and did the same over and over again, I thought someone had compromised that site, maybe they did but somehow the owners restored it... nice. :happy:
Change comes in sprouts. Not slowly. It stalls and at some point instantly pops. Like height growth. So start backing up your stuff.
Storage devices demagnitize in time, that's the prob. I had a Rurouni Kenshin CD collection, all series on like 9 CD's.
Then I wanted to watch it like 10 years later....ye right... was all fragments of my fav series now here and there.
That's when I realized the only good storage is a lot of places/sources storage and download/upload in perpetuity so the demagnetized parts of the soft that has been lost in one source can be covered with the soft that has been demagnetized differently from another but the missing parts of each are different so they can be a whole 100% of soft while downloading/uploading from each other.
With other words I stopped stuffing my stuff on storage units, they are not efficient, the net itself is the most efficient way, the constant upload/download assures the 100% quality of any soft. And that is the only way. Except if you make a network in your house of computers, at least 2 and forever just download and upload stuff from one to the other forever keeping 2 copies of it. And even so, sooner or later soft will be lost in common on just 2 computers and the information will be 99.97% or so, you need many computers to keep 100% clean information for long spans of time.
That is sad... if what you say is true and in the future, old information will be nearly unobtainable. That translates in nearly lost forever. :(

Or maybe I just don't know how to back stuff up! I just copied the darn episodes on CD's, evidently that was not efficient in time.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:10:02 pm by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Online Shiakou

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2016, 01:10:22 pm »
It's just you. My bootleg Pita-Ten CD collection still retains its, admittedly shitty, quality.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2016, 01:43:14 pm »
Magnetic hysteresis loss (slow degradation over time) IS a problem for any electromechanical magnetic media, but you can prevent it simply by reading/rewriting all data on the disk every so often.  Many utilities will do this, but the best are SpinRite and HDD Regenerator (SpinRite is the best of the two but also slower).  The good news is, you don't have to do this often at all; every year or two is quite sufficient.

You can also find NAS boxes that run a similar scheduled "regen" cycle during downtime for all contained drives.

As a side note, while cloud storage does have some merit, it's still not even close to foolproof.  Ask anyone who lost files when Megaupload died ^^' ...

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2016, 07:23:43 pm »
When Mega died, I lost not only files, but four months of subscription. Naturally I was never refunded nor compensated when the new Mega appeared.
I don't trust paid hosting.

Offline tokigoi

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2016, 03:18:10 pm »
So thanks to "unfortunate political results"...TPP has been temporarily shelved (it will be back, man is a liar).
Unfortunately nothing has been done about rule 41 by congress (excluding 23 members like ron wyden) which basically is them accepting the changes. Reading more about it...federal district judges already have the ability to issue warrants anywhere, federal magistrate judges could only issue warrants in their own district but the new rule 41 would change that.

The big issue is with the changes the fbi could find a magistrate judge (who have a 8 year term) who's tech illiterate or wants to further their career to authorize a bunch of broad privacy invading crap that a district judge (has the job for life) might have the sense to toss.

Some say the fbi borked the playpen case on purpose to gain more power; give the magistrate judge a little gift, they approve the outrageous warrant, now anyone not just TOR/vpn users who activate a necessary function to download a file now has malware or a keylogger exposing their location.

F*** 2016 and f*** 2017-2024.