Author Topic: How do people play back 10-bit content w/o 10-bit HW (supposedly)?  (Read 992 times)

Offline Govna

Re: How do people play back 10-bit content w/o 10-bit HW (supposedly)?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 02:31:41 am »
LAME is not a codec. x264 is not a codec. They are specific tools designed for a part of the process. The codec is the standard.
Would it be more accurate to say the codec is an implementation of the standard, with the implementation possibly being a partial implementation?

Yes.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 03:53:14 am »
A case of the pot calling the kettle black, but I'm gonna quote Wikipedia.
Take this how you will, but according to Wikipedia:
"a codec is a software or hardware tool that encodes or decodes audio or video into or from some audio or video format."

The tool is the codec, the output is a file.
Thus LAME is an audio codec. X264 is a video codec. PCM WAV is an audio format, created by a codec.

If you can prove otherwise, I'd be more than happy to eat my words.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 03:57:54 am by Krudda »

Offline Govna

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 04:06:40 am »
A case of the pot calling the kettle black, but I'm gonna quote Wikipedia.
Take this how you will, but according to Wikipedia:
"a codec is a software or hardware tool that encodes or decodes audio or video into or from some audio or video format."

The tool is the codec, the output is a file.
Thus LAME is an audio codec. X264 is a video codec. PCM WAV is an audio format, created by a codec.

If you click that fancy 'list of codecs' you'll see it list all the standards, and then what encodes or decodes them. x264 is an encoder, it does not decode, so it is not a 'codec' which is just a weird mash of encoder/decoder.

Offline Astara

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 06:01:07 pm »
Yum yum...words taste Good!

(lets all not get too needlessly sidetracked on terminology details which tend to be used with various degrees of strictness depending on the audience, but are hopelessly intermixed past the point of confusion in a mixed audience! ;-) ).

My housemate & I often find ourself in vehement disagreements over different ways to say the same thing.  I.e. We find ourself in violent agreement w/each other... ;-)