Author Topic: Help for those who prefer NOT watching on PC?  (Read 443 times)

Offline ShurikenUK

Help for those who prefer NOT watching on PC?
« on: September 24, 2016, 01:19:34 am »
I think I have a fairly quiet PC by any stretch of the imagination, but its amazing how much clearer everything sounds without the noise of your PC in the background, so I prefer to watch things OFF the PC (using USB media), but sadly it causes problems when it comes to some vids especially from BakaBT. Its mostly caused by container & A/V formats that aren't that widely supported by HDTVs. Sometimes it'll result in a video with no audio (or vice versa), or the audio will slowly get more & more out of sync for the entire video (as if the audio track was stretched slightly by the TV), and other things. What I always do to try & fix this is just extract the A/V streams from the MKV and remerge them into an MP4 (my TV is great with MP4 but only "okay" with MKV) and it usually works fine but not always.

Right now the problem vid is 'Doomed Megalopolis'. On my LG HDTV, part 1 plays fine and I can even select each dub. However, part 2 is a different story... I can't choose Eng audio, and I can't even enable subs. Okay, so I did the normal thing and took what I needed from the MKV. Sadly this took the audio atleast 5 secs out of sync from the start, EVEN on PC. Some BakaBT videos work fine straight away on a TV, but many of them don't. I really don't want to convert them because the of the quality loss of trascoding. I'm know I'm not the only one who prefers watching vids without having the PC on, so I could really use some help from a video guru! Hopefully I'm not SOL...

Part 1 A/V: Video= H264/Mpeg-4/AVC1 part 10 (plays fine).... Audio= Vorbis/MP4a/AAC (plays fine)
Part 2 A/V: EVERYTHING is exactly the same but I can't switch to the ENG audio stream. Outside the container, audio is 5-10 secs out.
HDTV: LG-32CS460 (plays most vids fine, except from BakaBT... sad days,  :( )

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:55:47 am by ShurikenUK »
I'll have a cuppa tea, strong, no sugar. Thanks mate!

Offline sneaker2

Re: Help for those who prefer NOT watching on PC?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 02:02:59 am »
Assuming you downloaded the release off bakabt:
- It becomes out-of-sync because it is using variable framerate (VFR). A simple demux + re-encode process will lose the timing information. This can be avoided by using conversion software that can handle VFR like e.g. HandBrake.
- The second audio might not work because it is using Vorbis while first audio is AC3. Re-encode just the audio if necessary. On first glance ep1 and ep2 should be identical so I can't say why it is acting differently, though. Maybe simply re-muxing using mkvmerge (while disabling all unneeded tracks and using compatibility options for old TVs) will do the trick.

If your PC is too loud and you don't want to do any kind of re-encoding:
Others built silent PCs specifically for this (often called "HTPC") or buy a box like Amazon FireTV and put a good player like Kodi/mpv on it. Those things will handle a lot of stuff. (I don't know what the go-to thing is right now. Can probably get something cheaper and more powerful than FireTV from China...)

Offline ShurikenUK

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 02:50:14 am »
Yep the A/V streams in both episodes of Megalopolis seem to be exactly the same, thats what makes it so weird, and if I extract the streams and remerge them into an MP4 (Using MKVextractGUI2 & YAMB), the audio is 5+ secs out of sync from the start (even on PC). I haven't tried doing the same with ep one but I bet it would be the same. Okay I'll try remuxing the MKV in MKVmerge with 'old TV compatibility'. If that doesn't work, is there no other way to fix it without having to re-encode (lose quality)?

Hmmm, I'll look into one of those player boxes then too. If they can play most formats that PC's can play, then it'll really come in handy. If you can plug USB sticks & drives into them that'll be even better! I take it you don't need a "smart" TV though? Thanks.

Offline sneaker2

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 03:29:15 am »
is there no other way to fix it without having to re-encode (lose quality)?
Well, in this case it's just the audio. You could re-encode just that and probably won't hear any difference. Video could stay untouched. In ffmpeg:
ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -map 0 -c:v copy -c:a:0 copy -c:a:1 ac3 -ab 224k -c:s copy "output.mkv"
Maybe so. else can recommend a GUI in case you don't feel comfortable with the command-line. There are a lot of ffmpeg GUIs to choose from.

If you can plug USB sticks & drives into them that'll be even better! I take it you don't need a "smart" TV though? Thanks.
You can either use USB drives or stream via LAN/WiFi. You don't need any SmartTV, those boxes simply have an HDMI output.

Offline ShurikenUK

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 03:42:33 am »
Yea I'm a fish out of water when it comes to command line! I'll stick with a GUI if you have a good one to recommend.

Thats good news about those boxes man. I'll see what I find on the market, hopefully you can get a good one for under £100!

Edit: I just tried the remuxed MKV on my TV and now the A/V is back in sync and I can even switch languages again! Thanks man. I've never actually remuxed a video AFAIK (I only use MKVexctract & YAMB) but I followed a little step by step and Im surprised how quick & easy it is, I'll have to remember this. So I guess that means the MKV itself was the problem, its strange that some work & some don't even if they contain streams of identical formats! I marked the remuxed one as "TV compatible"  :happy:

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:18:28 am by ShurikenUK »

Offline Govna

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 05:12:53 am »
If your TV is a nice hip internet-connected TV you can setup plex on your PC and then use that to stream to your TV. Works perfectly and even transcodes for the situations where you got those annoying fancy subtitles that TVs can't play.

Otherwise YAMB or mkv2mp4 is your best bet so you don't poo over the video, especially if it's grainy or otherwise required actual effort to encode.

Offline ShurikenUK

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 05:36:16 pm »
Nah no internet connection on my TV. No bells & whistles, just the essentials, I'll have to stick with YAMB, MKVToolnix and maybe one of those player boxes. And yea 97% of inbedded (inside the container, rather than hardcoded) subs never work lol, good job I prefer English dubz!

Offline Govna

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 08:17:02 pm »
Nah no internet connection on my TV. No bells & whistles, just the essentials, I'll have to stick with YAMB, MKVToolnix and maybe one of those player boxes. And yea 97% of inbedded (inside the container, rather than hardcoded) subs never work lol, good job I prefer English dubz!

If you just make sure the sexy box you get does plex you're all good.

Plex is really quite a beautiful thing.