Author Topic: Name some things universally agreed upon as "bad."  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Semnae

Re: Name some things universally agreed upon as "bad."
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 03:41:24 am »
There isn't anything universally agreed upon as "bad". Take a good, hard look at the most "evil" people in history. You'll find they all share one thing in common. They all felt justified in their actions. As Shakespeare put it, "there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." I find villains that are relatable and have motivations that make the reader think they may be legitimately justified to be the most interesting. Jackass villains that just want power, money, or destruction for their own sake seem rather flat. If you want to make the angel guy hateable, make him self righteous. Perhaps he wants enslave, oppress, and slaughter the masses to impose his own perceived moral superiority. Maybe his war experience has made him hateful and xenophobic. Maybe he comes from a cannibalistic culture that justifies ritualistic torture and killing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:50:05 am by Semnae »

Online Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 03:56:01 am »
The closest you will find to something universally considered bad is people's own suffering.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 09:45:59 am »
Oh, um... by the way, I actually managed to get past this arc of my story. So hurray for that.

You guys can keep discussing things universally agreed upon as bad though. It's not a bad topic.

Online Tanis

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 10:09:16 am »
Superman 64

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 10:10:42 am »
7. Fillers
6. Death 
5. Plagues
4. Lawyers
3. Politicians
2. Extinctions
1. End of the Universe
0. Politicians surviving the End of the Universe
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline AceHigh

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 10:09:38 pm »
Infanticide is universally bad because it goes against our hardwired instinct of the survival of the species. It is not dependent on culture. That logic can apply to other similar things like cannibalism, genocide, etc.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 11:43:27 am »
True, but politicians are worse.

Now that you mention it, I would give a vote to incest too. Some animals do practice infanticide, killing the offspring of their enemies so only their genes to grow into the world, but none fuck their own children, that's a treat reserved exclusively for the human species.
And some ask "Why do alians not contact us if they truly exist? :unsure:" Do you really need to ask? :whistle:

(We'd fuck them too, and their children... :happy:)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:49:11 am by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Online Tanis

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 12:46:45 pm »
Now that you mention it, I would give a vote to incest too.
Better not let Gawd find out you think this.

Adam and Eve, if you believe in Genesis, MUST HAVE banged their kids.

:P

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 01:20:30 pm »
Now that you mention it, I would give a vote to incest too. Some animals do practice infanticide, killing the offspring of their enemies so only their genes to grow into the world, but none fuck their own children, that's a treat reserved exclusively for the human species.
Nah, no way. A lot of people have an incest fetish, so it's definitely not universally agreed upon as bad, even if it does make most people a bit uneasy.

Offline Stridar

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 02:04:32 pm »
Death.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2016, 02:20:05 pm »
Nah, no way. A lot of people have an incest fetish, so it's definitely not universally agreed upon as bad, even if it does make most people a bit uneasy.

It's one of the worst things in existence, one of such a deviance even animal instinct is above it and yet it is not universally agreed as bad; meaning in the human species Univers I would reckon. Ca you see the arrogance, perversity and hypocrisy there? I can see it as funny! :laugh:

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2016, 02:36:54 pm »

It's one of the worst things in existence, one of such a deviance even animal instinct is above it and yet it is not universally agreed as bad; meaning in the human species Univers I would reckon. Ca you see the arrogance, perversity and hypocrisy there? I can see it as funny! :laugh:
That's actually incorrect. Incest is very common among animals.

You're also equating all incest as parent-child incest, which is completely incorrect. And well... seeing as to how I'm a Geneticist I can say that I'm uniquely qualified to tell you that not all incest is necessarily as bad as the social taboo. Give this article a read, I think it explains the whole thing very well: https://web.archive.org/web/20100626021937/http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=243

Historically, first cousin marriages were commonplace and they only increased the risk of passing on diseases by 2-3% more than unrelated people. So, not really that big of a deal.

Personally, I'm not even really against sibling incest as long as they choose not to make a baby together (they can adopt, or use a surrogate) and they're both consensual adults. Heck, if I had an identical twin I'd probably be incestuous. They don't make 'em like me anymore! 8)

Online Shiakou

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2016, 05:37:30 pm »
I've heard of at least one zoo who had to transfer a female gorilla because letting her stay would risk having her mate with her father, since said father was the alpha or something.

Doing a google search, whether incest happens or not seems mostly to be a matter of preference; animals will mostly choose mates which are not closely related. Keyword being "mostly". There are circumstances where it happens, including when choices are limited.

http://www.livescience.com/2226-incest-taboo-nature.html

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/question/2908/

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/ryupe/do_animals_participate_in_incestuous_mating/

Basically, it's discouraged but still happens often.

And then of course there's the blatantly weird Adactylum.

In microscopic mites of the genus Adactylidium, the male is never born and the females
are born pregnant. You can probably figure out how this is possible on your own, but you
came here for the gruesome details and that's what you're going to get.

The female Adactylidium lives out her entire brief life as a parasite on the egg of a tiny
insect called a thrip (above.) Already, a single male offspring is developing in her body
with just a handful of females, who take turns copulating with their brother as they molt,
feed and grow. Soon, their dying mother is a swollen bag of discarded shells and feces,
which her daughters will rip open and devour from within. Unequipped to move or feed on
his own, the "unborn" male will die in the mother's remains almost instantly, while his
sisters scatter to find thrip eggs of their own.

So umm, yeah. There's an animal species where a brother and his harem of sisters mate while still inside the mother before eating their way out of her. Go go Mother Nature?

Offline AceHigh

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2016, 05:38:16 pm »
They don't make 'em like me anymore! 8)
Yo momma does!

Online kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 05:49:26 pm »
Name some things universally agreed upon as "bad."

i just recalled this thread, and wanted to add a few more on the list:
brutality
insanity
despair
extinction
starvation
decay / disease

i've been reading some  survival apocalypse novels recently...

Online Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2016, 09:07:43 pm »
I don't really see anything intrinsically evil about incest if it's between consenting adults.
Altmed is altfact!

Online kitamesume

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 04:13:06 am »
I don't really see anything intrinsically evil about incest if it's between consenting adults.

i think hes implying pedo incest, otherwise i don't see anything wrong with it either.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 08:29:00 am »
Uhm... you people are weird, it's not wrong at all to love a brother/sister not like a brother/sister? Or to have sex between themseves regardless? 
I can agree it's not fundamentally evil but it can't be labeled as correct in any Universe, as long as there's any good sense in it.
Word is that it's too much sex in these days everywhere... but between siblings!? And think it's ok!??!? Now we know.

I heard in news about half a decade ago a true story about a brother, rather undeveloped both intellectually as culture-wise, that has raped his own sister. When the news team interviewed the newly alleged rapist of kin, and asked him "Why did you do it?" he said "I saw my sister there (unconscious) and with her legs spread and I just got horny." As rape we can all agree is universally bad (and here I am on topic), raping your own kin breaths a whole new level of human decadence. Your kin is always susceptible and rather vulnerable to your suggestions and deeds as they are at home, a place supposedly safe and sane. Where do you really draw the line between consensual sex, vulnerability stages that can decline into all sorts of manipulation and ultimately pain old rape!? If you would be a parent, would you really be ok if your children would have sex with each other, regardless of their age? I don't think there is a parent in this world who would, even the morally and mentally undeveloped ones in undeveloped countries in Africa or SE Asia, except if it's an extremely deranged family, as a total exception to its undeveloped society.
I am an only child, maybe I am in the dark regarding this subject, but then ask brothers and sisters if they would ever screw under normal circumstances, and if it would be ok even under abnormal circumstances. If you get even 1% positive feed back, I will agree I am wrong, and not all forms of incest are undecent. 1% is not a lot, probably the crazy percentage out there is higher! So even the crazy won't go for it in my opinion. :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:03:59 am by Johnny D »

Online Shiakou

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 09:18:36 am »
Uhm... you people are weird, it's not wrong at all to love a brother/sister not like a brother/sister? Or to have sex between themseves regardless? 
I can agree it's not fundamentally evil but it can't be labeled as correct in any Universe, as long as there's any good sense in it.
Word is that it's too much sex in these days everywhere... but between siblings!? And think it's ok!??!? Now we know.

I heard in news about half a decade ago a true story about a brother, rather undeveloped both intellectually as culture-wise, that has raped his own sister. When the news team interviewed the newly alleged rapist of kin, and asked him "Why did you do it?" he said "I saw my sister there (unconscious) and with her legs spread and I just got horny." As rape we can all agree is universally bad (and here I am on topic), raping your own kin breaths a whole new level of human decadence. Your kin is always susceptible and rather vulnerable to your suggestions and deeds as they are at home, a place supposedly safe and sane. Where do you really draw the line between consensual sex, vulnerability stages that can decay into all sorts of manipulation and ultimately pain old rape!? If you would be a parent, would you really be ok if your children would have sex with each other, regardless of their age? I don't think there is a parent in this world who would, even the morally and mentally undeveloped ones in undeveloped countries in Africa or SE Asia, except if it's an extremely deranged family, as a total exception to its undeveloped society.
I am an only child, maybe I am in the dark regarding this subject, but then ask brothers and sisters if they would ever scrue under normal circumstances, and if it would be ok even under abnormal circumstances. If you get even 1% positive feed back, I will agree I am wrong, and not all forms of incest are undecent. 1% is not a lot, probably the crazy percentage out there is higher! So even the crazy won't go for it in my opinion. :laugh:

You just answered your own question. According to you, moral people don't tolerate incest, and those who do are part of "an extremely deranged family, as a total exception to its undeveloped society" and that "it can't be labeled as correct in any Universe, as long as there's any good sense in it".

There's no point "proving" to you that incest can in any way be morally tolerable, since you already categorically and preemptively dismiss any evidence to the contrary. You have already reached your conclusion.

That said, there are accounts of incest occurring between consenting adults in real life. Like this one.

Whether you believe it or not is up to you, but I personally have no trouble accepting what fully grown people get up to so long as no one is being forced or coerced into it. It's not my cup of tea, but that has never stopped me from supporting homosexual relationships either.

Online kitamesume

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 09:41:41 am »
with how thoroughly mixed up the human gene pool is, who knows whether your wife or husband is a distant relative of yours.

in any case, the implied "incest" is just one of those stupid parts of human morals.
like "murder is bad" yet how many deaths had there been through out human history...
it does make me wonder why the police and soldiers who've killed doesn't get life-imprisonment.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:46:47 am by kitamesume »