Author Topic: North Dakota arrests journalist for doing her job.  (Read 248 times)

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
North Dakota arrests journalist for doing her job.
« on: October 14, 2016, 11:06:59 pm »
So, this journalist was arrested. Prosecutor: "Everything she reported on was from the position of justifying the protest actions." Read that sentence again. The state is literally charging her for nothing else beyond exercising her rights as a journalist.

Here's the full story: https://freedom.press/blog/2016/10/north-dakota-needs-immediately-drop-its-outrageous-charges-against-journalist-amy

This is a gross violation of freedom of press and the freedom of speech... the bloody First Amendment.

Offline halfelite

Re: North Dakota arrests journalist for doing her job.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 12:52:36 am »
So, this journalist was arrested. Prosecutor: "Everything she reported on was from the position of justifying the protest actions." Read that sentence again. The state is literally charging her for nothing else beyond exercising her rights as a journalist.

Here's the full story: https://freedom.press/blog/2016/10/north-dakota-needs-immediately-drop-its-outrageous-charges-against-journalist-amy

This is a gross violation of freedom of press and the freedom of speech... the bloody First Amendment.

Ummm since when does freedom of press give you a free pass to enter private property?

"“Amy Goodman can be seen on video on the private property that is beyond the border of the fence,”"  That is hard proof she broke the law she should pay. Sucks they are making an example out of her but being a journalist does not put you above the law. As for the dogs and pepper spray if the protester crosses the line into an area they should not be in I think its free game if they get attacked by a dog or pepper spray. The construction company has most likely suffered $10 million in damages occurred to the construction equipment the protesters lost all benefit of the doubt of peaceful and they get what is coming to them.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:03:26 am by halfelite »

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 01:09:51 am »
I gotta agree with halfelite.  I'm all for freedom of the press, but it ends when you start trespassing on private property.  Whether it is morally or politically advisable to proceed with prosecuting this journalist for criminal trespass is a different story, but if she did, in fact, intentionally trespass, there's no defending it.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 02:02:51 am »
I know the BBC mandates that reports be made while advocating both sides equally, is this a thing for whatever the national broadcaster in the US is?

Offline undetz

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 04:15:37 pm »
I know the BBC mandates that reports be made while advocating both sides equally, is this a thing for whatever the national broadcaster in the US is?
If you're reporting on the private security of the one side unleashing attack dogs against the other side and using pepper spray on them, I don't think there's much left to advocate for there.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 04:29:05 pm »
If you're reporting on the private security of the one side unleashing attack dogs against the other side and using pepper spray on them, I don't think there's much left to advocate for there.

Oh the bbc manages :D

Whenever they invite an "expert" they basically have to have a nutjob at hand by law.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 10:29:20 pm »

No we have different news outlets that are on opposites sides usually. So one channel leans one way the other channel leans the other. 

Amy Goodman used to do decent work but her tactics has changed and she is more become part of the problem then the solution. She used to be an independent journalist that did not push for one side or another. Now she does whatever will make her more popular/rich I put her in the same category as Jesse Jackson.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 10:49:02 pm »
We don't, no. We actually used to have a similar law but it was repealed. It's what has lead to the degradation of our news coverage into entertainment. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine

edit: Also, here's another article about this topic - https://www.thenation.com/article/the-arrest-of-journalists-and-filmmakers-covering-the-dakota-pipeline-is-a-threat-to-democracy-and-the-planet/
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:53:18 pm by Tiffanys »