Author Topic: Any animators/ artists etc here?  (Read 236 times)

Offline Stridar

Any animators/ artists etc here?
« on: November 02, 2016, 02:09:48 pm »
Just curious if there are any, as I am looking for a career change and would like to know more about pay, qualification, work etc

Thanks.

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
Re: Any animators/ artists etc here?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 05:42:38 am »
Hi. My professor said it best on the first day of classes. "The only poor artist is the one not working." I do freelance work mainly to supplement my income.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 06:15:54 am »
Too much work for the pay is the general condition of the industry. I think most usually do it at side till they become big enough name to rely on it completely. And even if they do, I think many still have a side job to at least complement it.

Going all in and depending 100% on it would not be a good start. I guess going freelance and then eventually and gradually coming to this would be the safe bet.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:43:56 am by Mistgun_Zero »

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 07:42:45 am »
yup, you need to make a name first, otherwise the pay isn't worth it.

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 07:49:23 am »
It also depends on the industry you are in as well as the type of animator you are. If you are in, say like a video game industry where you draw up concepts and scenario's, I would say it's a somewhat stable job (really need to dig deeper, but it's on the more stable side).

Digital artist's doing CG work are in a bit of demand also. Advertisments and stuff usually have artist's who mock up general idea after which it is redone in digital etc.

All in all, you could say this is a custom job with very different requirement and very different condition's unlike established position like management, engineering and doctors. Do a full complete research and weigh the pro's and cons.

In any case, the path for artist's is usually tougher than for the other profession.

In my personal case, I wanted to become a artist but in a third world country like India, that is no way gonna help you survive. Doing something you love will only take you so far. Architect would have been a good choice, but something I didn't risk either. Medical (you get to do tons of drawing, though a very bad reason to study medical for) was too expensive, so I went with the safest choice for me, engineering.

And I am generally happy with it. My pay in general is good and I have enough left to spend on drawing tools to keep it going as a hobby. So while I do like drawing, I have kept it as a hobby and in a position where I would probably never hate it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:52:48 am by Mistgun_Zero »

Homu-Homu is troubled