Author Topic: Who will win the 2016 US Presidential election?  (Read 7252 times)

Offline Animade

Re: Who will win the 2016 US Presidential election?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 08:16:40 am »
Predicting that a republican will win the popular vote but a democrat will win the electoral vote isn't a safe bet. Not only is it extremely rare for a president to win without the popular vote, the way the electoral college is set up also gives an small advantage to Republicans. Smaller states have fewer popular votes per electoral votes and most small states are Republican.
Trump will win big in Republican strongholds but will lose traditional republican states such as Arizona, Florida and Utah. Likely North Carolina too. It all adds up. However I think that out come is the best of the most fucked up scenarios.

Curious if anyone thinks that Jill Stein or Gary Johnson will be a spoiler candidate in any state? Neither has a chance of winning nationally, but would be interesting if votes for them end up deciding if HC or DT win a state.
No. These 3rd party tickets need to learn about the concerns all people have, not just an issue here and there. Their ignorance of governments function and the everyday persons personal responsibilities are woefully inadequate.

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 09:06:47 am »
The Clintonator should win, at this point it's very improbable that Trump wins the white house.

What will be interesting will be the down ballot votes, getting majority will mean that some ACTUAL fucking changes might happen for the Demos. If it's a red house and blue president, welcome to 4 years of literally nothing happening.

at the movies drunk & young

Offline Nikkoru

• Cyberpun
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 10:20:13 am »
What will be interesting will be the down ballot votes, getting majority will mean that some ACTUAL fucking changes might happen for the Demos. If it's a red house and blue president, welcome to 4 years of literally nothing happening.

Worse than that, given the apocalyptic games of chicken the Republicans played with the US Federal Government as an institution over the last 8 years - threatening to shut it down repeatedly and default on its debts - you move from an inactive Congress to having a whole branch being an actively malignant force in the most basic task of governing, and that was with the reasonably popular Obama in the oval office. I can't see the Post-Trumpian Republicans, which among other things wanted Clinton executed in a fucking firing line if not just flatly imprisoned with all the subtle judiciousness of a Klan lynching, are going to be turning over any new leaves. They're even implying they'll keep stonewalling her Supreme Court nominees despite that being the very definition of unconstitutional,

It's going to be shit awful  - and while she's still very likely to be elected today - the FBI investigation may very well have ruined any chance of it being anything else. Because fuck me, that's why. 

On the other hand - silver linings and all that - at least the news media won't be 24/7 Trump anymore . He'll be around probably, the universe doesn't love me enough for it to be anything different, but just not as much. I'm hoping at least a month from now that we won't seriously have to be kept abreast of whatever Twitter war he happens to be engaged in or what rambling conspiracy theory he's pitching at the moment. Ya'know, like they've been doing for a whole goddamned year now. The toxins have already taken years off my life, I don't think I can take any more.

Finally - finally - I can get back to simply being largely indifferent about Clinton, like I was before. Rather than mildly positive because she's the only line between me and Lovecraftian insanity.
Peace, Love, and Tranquility

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 10:39:09 am »
Don't worry Nikkoru, TRUMP MEDIA NETWORK THE BEST DAMN NETWORK EVER BELIEVE ME will suffice enough to cause you pain.

Offline Nikkoru

• Cyberpun
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 11:16:56 am »
Don't worry Nikkoru, TRUMP MEDIA NETWORK THE BEST DAMN NETWORK EVER BELIEVE ME will suffice enough to cause you pain.

We've still got hours left to go where President Trump could still be a real thing that could happen in the world I presently occupy. I'm not worrying about the long term radioactive fallout while still watching the active nuclear bomb descending towards me.

Besides that, Trump being confined to that Network - assuming such a Horror will indeed be conjured - means he's safely contained. So long as Cthulhu's slumbering in the nightmare corpse-city of R'lyeh he ain't my fucking problem.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 12:40:19 pm »
Curious if anyone thinks that Jill Stein or Gary Johnson will be a spoiler candidate in any state? Neither has a chance of winning nationally, but would be interesting if votes for them end up deciding if HC or DT win a state.

I think it's highly unlikely.  Neither of them have the same degree of visibility that Perot or Nader had.

Sadly, I think it's going to be more of the same.  I'm bracing myself for 4 more years of Republican obstructionism, since the new mantra seems to be, "If we can't have it our way, then nobody gets anything."  Apparently uncompromising assholes is what the American people want in their politicians, because that's who we keep electing.

They're even implying they'll keep stonewalling her Supreme Court nominees despite that being the very definition of unconstitutional.

I heard the same rumblings a month or two ago.  They'll cite a bunch of excuses about how it's their constitutional duty to unconditionally stonewall any Supreme Court nominees that they don't like.  It won't matter what the person's actual record is -- as long as the nominee has Obama or Clinton associated with them and the nominee doesn't come with Reince Preibus' personal seal of approval, you can bet that the nominee will get shot down.  This will happen despite the comments of the few sane Republicans who agree that their responsibility is to see the job filled, not to hold out indefinitely for a Republican President.

I think we should have a Constitutional Amendment that puts a time limit on how long a Supreme Court seat is allowed to remain vacant.  From the date of the vacancy, we have 1 year to fill the spot.  The President is required to nominate at least one person and as many as 3 within, say 3-6 months of the vacancy.  Nominees can be simultaneous (first, second, third choice) or nominated sequentially.  Congress has 6 months from the date of nomination to confirm or deny.  If the President fails to put forward his required nominees within the time limit, then Congress chooses the appointee.  If Congress fails to confirm a candidate within the required time limit, then Congress forfeits their right to confirm and the President chooses the appointee -- who need not be one of the nominee he's put forward previously or could even be a nominee previously shot down.  Congress is not required to confirm one of the President's 3 nominees -- they could shoot down as many choices as they want -- but they are required to confirm SOMEBODY within 1 year of the vacancy.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 01:10:07 pm »
It should be noted that the Supreme Court nominee is actually one of the most approvable judges for the republican party. Merrick Garland is shockingly white, old (meaning he won't stay forever), he clerked for two Supreme court justices that were both well regarded and one of them was even a Republican appointee.

In like 2009 or some shit I even think he was considered for a previous appointment and even Republicans were like "ya sure man". At least previously there was some movement in the judicial branch even if there wasn't any movement in the legislative branch.

I also need to find an election tracking site.

EDIT: okay wait "Garland's financial disclosure forms indicate that his net worth is between $6 million and $23 million" how is the gap that big wtf.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2016, 02:15:41 pm »
I think the worst reaction from Comey's announcement will be the down ticket Dems. He already announced that there was nothing there yesterday, but the damage was already done.

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 07:28:30 pm »
Another thing to consider for the upcoming election is that polls almost always overestimate third party votes. You always have people who will answer the whoever they'd really want to vote for in a poll but when the election comes they get kinda scared and decide to vote for results. So I expect Clinton to win a little bit more than the polls show.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline Shiakou

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2016, 07:46:56 pm »

Click for maximum awesome.

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2016, 09:41:27 pm »
Trump will win the election but a background check will disqualify him since presidents have to be at least 30 years of age and he's clearly a 12yo internet troll.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 10:01:17 pm »
@Shiaku: is that the Fate universe, but with current US political figures?

Offline Shiakou

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2016, 10:38:30 pm »

Fate, warhammer40k, and I can see a couple of Jedi.

Offline Remak

Offline Nikkoru

• Cyberpun
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 04:35:09 am »
As of now, it looks like Trump is going to win. So, yeah. Barring a turn in fortune, I'm giving up on the United States.

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 04:53:05 am »
R I P U S A

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2016, 04:59:49 am »
You're joke isn't funny anymore, America.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline xfreidax

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2016, 06:12:01 am »
GRATZ USA U GONNA BE GREAT AGAIN!!!

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2016, 06:21:46 am »
From what I reckon it's very possible a tie. But now it does look like if anyone, Trump is gonna win.

Le'ts see, what did he have against him?
His attitude, his words, his demeanor, his manners, his respect for human nature, etc.

What did Hillary have against her?
Being a woman.

:laugh:

You americans can't, simply can't stop to mesmerizingly amaze me. ??? :happy:

Fate, warhammer40k, and I can see a couple of Jedi.

Hmm... The problem here is the apolitical fairy tail a Jedi should inherit. Reality is they would be republican Jedi. Or rather known as Sith Lords.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:39:48 am by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Sebur

• 【=◈︿◈=】
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2016, 09:17:27 am »
I'd like to take bets with whoever answered Donald Trump.
*fights Sebur and wins easily.*  :P