Author Topic: Who will win the 2016 US Presidential election?  (Read 7251 times)

Offline Fool010

Re: Who will win the 2016 US Presidential election?
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2016, 10:03:34 am »
Well, first stage for Idiocracy becoming a reality cleared.
Who needs a signature anyway ?

MAL               last.fm

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2016, 11:02:09 am »
OH MY GOD

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2016, 11:36:21 am »
http://www.cnn.com/election/results/states/florida
http://www.cnn.com/election/results/president

It is literally Florida's fault.

And, it is literally the fault of the 200,000 people who voted for Johnson.

Trump:  4,591,156 votes
Clinton: 4,462,338

That's a difference of 128,818 votes.

Johnson:  204,818
Stein:  63,658

On the bright side, I don't have to feel guilty about voting for Stein, because Stein's votes here wouldn't have flipped the state.  I suppose I should look and see how much of an impact they had elsewhere, but I suspect that it is negligible.  Not sure what Johnson's numbers are overall.

On behalf of voters in Florida, I sincerely apologize to the United States and the rest of the world for whatever is coming next.

There's a part of me that doesn't want to overreact; I have to have at least some faith that the rest of government will reign in Orange Joe.  But the Republicans also have control now over both the Senate and the House.  I think, for starters, we can expect that Obamacare will get repealed, or at least there will be another lively fight over it.

I genuinely don't know what we're going to get out of this new Presidency.  Judging from the stock market, nobody else does either.  Maybe in some alternate reality, Clinton would have gotten us embroiled in a conflict that becomes World War III, and maybe we just dodged a bullet we didn't know was coming.  Perhaps Trump will take a somewhat more moderate approach to things now that real power is in his grasp.  Or perhaps not.  We shall see.

I just had a 1.5 hour conversation with my closest friend.  Several of my friends are considering emigration from the U.S., and likely will set plans into motion in the coming months.  It's kind of a cliche thing to talk about, ordinarily the kind of thing you'd roll your eyes at and call an overreaction, but this is the first time it's been a conversation to take seriously.  Frankly, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I will certainly be taking a conservative approach with my money for the next few months, changing my plans and saving up a bunch of money, and I'm planning to research my own options.  This event may be the impetus I personally need to get the fuck out of Florida once and for all, and to get a fresh start somewhere else.

EDIT - other random thoughts:
-- Trump may not be the President we need, but he's the one that we deserve.
-- Don't blame me, *I* voted for Kodos.  -- Homer Simpson
-- I don't regret this, but I both rue and lament it.  -- Philip J. Fry
-- Well, Florida Amendment 1 is dead.  So we've got that going for us at least.  <Insert Bill Murray Caddyshack meme here.>
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:40:39 am by Ixarku »
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Ozzaharwood

• ζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘ
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2016, 11:44:08 am »
I think the saddest part about this is Bernie probably would have won over Trump. :'(

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2016, 11:53:35 am »
I think the saddest part about this is Bernie probably would have won over Trump. :'(

I absolutely think so.  I hope the DNC is clawing their own eyes out over the what-if scenarios.

According to CNN, Trump won the popular vote by 0.2% -- by a margin of 153,000 votes.  This has got to be A) one of the closest Presidential elections in U.S. history, and B) the greatest upset in election history since Dewey lost to Truman in 1948.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Reape

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2016, 11:56:03 am »
Oh this circus is gonna be good. Or at least it will be if Trump does everything he promised to do. I hope he won't dissapoint, since watching America burn would make for some great entertainment.
Nordic cultural imperialist.

Offline AceHigh

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2016, 12:07:06 pm »
I rest my case.  8)

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2016, 12:12:13 pm »
Oh this circus is gonna be good. Or at least it will be if Trump does everything he promised to do. I hope he won't dissapoint, since watching America burn would make for some great entertainment.

I hope to watch it burn from somewhere far away.  Dublin is floating to the top of the list at present.  I've got to look into it, but I think it's likely that I can keep my job and work remotely even from Ireland.

I rest my case.  8)

What was your case again?  That Americans are dumb and we're all fucked?  I can thoroughly agree with that.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2016, 12:15:22 pm »
OH MY GOD

It's what the british also said in the next morning after the Brexit, they didn't really think it was going to happen but most voted for it! :laugh:

In hindsight, I think the Hillary campaign has gone all wrong about it, people (like I would have been if american) didn't go to vote, lots of them I would think, whilst the republicans they would vote even for a shark with the brain of a pineapple if made to run for them! "We crushed those puny democrats! WAHAHAHOHO!" So democrats campaign should have been "Don't vote for Hillary, vote against that maniac!!!" and she would have won easily. ::)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:23:28 pm by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Ozzaharwood

• ζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘ
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2016, 12:16:42 pm »

Don't worry, presidents never keep their promises! :whistle:

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2016, 12:17:28 pm »
First, you have the entirety of what is Australia, then there's Brexit, now this. Anglosphere, what the fuck is wrong with you?

I'm now kind of sad I didn't bet on Trump winning. I would've won nicely.

Offline Reape

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2016, 12:24:57 pm »

Don't worry, presidents never keep their promises! :whistle:

Hey that's what I'm afraid of. I want to see America burn. I have no personal stake here so I can just sit back and enjoy the show.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:33:25 pm by Reape »

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2016, 12:26:26 pm »
There's a part of me that doesn't want to overreact; I have to have at least some faith that the rest of government will reign in Orange Joe.  But the Republicans also have control now over both the Senate and the House.  I think, for starters, we can expect that Obamacare will get repealed, or at least there will be another lively fight over it.

I genuinely don't know what we're going to get out of this new Presidency.  Judging from the stock market, nobody else does either.  Maybe in some alternate reality, Clinton would have gotten us embroiled in a conflict that becomes World War III, and maybe we just dodged a bullet we didn't know was coming.  Perhaps Trump will take a somewhat more moderate approach to things now that real power is in his grasp.  Or perhaps not.  We shall see.

I just had a 1.5 hour conversation with my closest friend.  Several of my friends are considering emigration from the U.S., and likely will set plans into motion in the coming months.  It's kind of a cliche thing to talk about, ordinarily the kind of thing you'd roll your eyes at and call an overreaction, but this is the first time it's been a conversation to take seriously.  Frankly, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I will certainly be taking a conservative approach with my money for the next few months, changing my plans and saving up a bunch of money, and I'm planning to research my own options.  This event may be the impetus I personally need to get the fuck out of Florida once and for all, and to get a fresh start somewhere else.
Republicans have the Senate, the House, the Presidency, and the Supreme Court. They control everything now. The new führer is going to be able to do whatever the fuck he wants. And even if he doesn't turn out as terrible as we all suspect (which is a big if) then the Republicans will still be able to pass whatever hair-brained nonsense they want for at the very least the next 2 years.

I've been looking into expatriation all morning. Unless a country declares us as refugees I don't think it's going to be possible for most people that want to. Here's one option:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Here's another option:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2016, 12:39:32 pm »
I'm not looking at renouncing my U.S. citizenship.  My thought is to retain my citizenship, keep my existing job, and simply live in another country.  Americans certainly retire in other countries without giving up their citizenship.  The Republic of Ireland is a top choice right now... I intend to look into their emigration requirements and see what it takes to live there long-term.  I spent a vacation in Dublin with my friend last year, and the other friends we have have been to Dublin a number of times, so they're actually more familiar with the city than I am.  Coincidentally, said friends are going to be visiting Florida next week because of an impending marriage, so I expect that we'll be having some serious conversations on the subject 7-10 days from now.

i intend to talk to my boss this morning about my options.  I could have $10k or thereabouts saved by April 1st, plus whatever I make on the proceeds of the sale of my house.  Financially, if I can keep my job, I could make it work.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2016, 12:43:29 pm »
I'm not looking at renouncing my U.S. citizenship.  My thought is to retain my citizenship, keep my existing job, and simply live in another country.  Americans certainly retire in other countries without giving up their citizenship.  The Republic of Ireland is a top choice right now... I intend to look into their emigration requirements and see what it takes to live there long-term.  I spent a vacation in Dublin with my friend last year, and the other friends we have have been to Dublin a number of times, so they're actually more familiar with the city than I am.  Coincidentally, said friends are going to be visiting Florida next week because of an impending marriage, so I expect that we'll be having some serious conversations on the subject 7-10 days from now.

i intend to talk to my boss this morning about my options.  I could have $10k or thereabouts saved by April 1st, plus whatever I make on the proceeds of the sale of my house.  Financially, if I can keep my job, I could make it work.
That's not what expatriation means - An expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing, as an immigrant, in a country other than that of their citizenship. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland").

You should keep in mind though that even if you become a citizen of another country you'll still have to pay US taxes if you retain your US citizenship. Even people that never even lived here and don't have a SSN have to pay US taxes if they have citizenship.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2016, 12:45:38 pm »
I wouldn't go for Europe though, it's right between America and Russia, you can check the map if you don't believe me!  :happy:
I am inclined to go to Africa, despite flat-out poverty and famine, it would be better there then a conflict between these 2 in Europe!
I always wanted to visit their zoos, what the heck do they keep there if you can find pretty much anything wherever you go!? Or it can find you 1st. True. But at the very least they don't discriminate! I will have to keep some niggas right besides me, just in case, they might go 1st like in the movies, you never know. NIGGASHIELD! Called it! hope I don't have to brevet it for people not to steal my idea.
You should keep in mind though that even if you become a citizen of another country you'll still have to pay US taxes if you retain your US citizenship. Even people that never even lived here and don't have a SSN have to pay US taxes if they have citizenship.

You may have just burst his bubble. In Africa, I dare them to find me to pay them taxes. :laugh:
Sell everything and just walk away, catch you if they can! HOW!?

PS: Sorry, that was politically incorrect. AFROAMERICANSHIELD!

Beyond all the mindless blabber, I have a serious question. If I recall correctly, Trump said if he loses he will ask for a recount of the votes. But Hillary just takes is like a champ!? Hmm... it's bit fishy, one might think if he couldn't rig the election right the 1st time, he would certainly do a better job 2nd time around. That makes me remember Battlestar Galactica Gaius Baltar election, but there, the one who rigged them, was caught.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:12:00 pm by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2016, 01:12:15 pm »

Yes, I'm fully aware that retaining U.S. citizenship means paying taxes to the U.S.  I'm fine with that.  I also intend to collect whatever Social Security I have access to when the time comes.  I'm not looking to renounce my citizenship, and I'm not looking to have legal citizenship in another country.  I literally just want to live somewhere else.  I'm also aware that there may be an additional tax burden or other requirements in the host country that may or may not make this feasible.  Hence why I and my friends in question have some research to do.  Other people do this; it's not impossible.  It just depends on the specific rules for each country.  I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just pointing out that I already know there are logistics involved that have to be explored.

Offline Fool010

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2016, 02:55:13 pm »
It is literally Florida's fault.

And, it is literally the fault of the 200,000 people who voted for Johnson.

Some outside perspective may be needed here.

If anyone got Trump elected democrats did by choosing the one candidate nobody wanted to win. Trump didn't win, Clinton lost. Pretty much everyone facing her would've beaten her, even a chimpanzee.

If you want to blame anyone, blame a political establishment that managed to turn a self deluded lunatic into the lesser of two evils. It would be funny, if Trump wasn't such a threat for the rest of the world.
Who needs a signature anyway ?

MAL               last.fm

Offline Reape

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2016, 04:21:09 pm »
You know, first America had a black president. Now they have a mentally disabled president. Proving one step at a time that America is, indeed, a land of opportunity.

Too soon?

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2016, 05:14:11 pm »
You know, first America had a black president. Now they have a mentally disabled president. Proving one step at a time that America is, indeed, a land of opportunity.

Too soon?
We already had George W Bush.