Author Topic: Do you use Animation or Game mode on your TV?  (Read 597 times)

Offline kamuixtv99

Do you use Animation or Game mode on your TV?
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:19:29 am »
For me. It seems it lowers the picture quality for both, It's not like HD anymore, but that is me. It doesn't lower the input lag as well on Game mode, for the playstation consoles at least. I use Vivid but someone told me that it is like artificial and Standard mode is the natural thing. What do you guys prefer?

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
Re: Do you use Animation or Game mode on your TV?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 12:48:27 am »
Lol, "game mode" and "animation mode" don't do much on my old Samsung. All  the setting did was decrease contrast in order to preserve the life of the panel.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 05:06:19 am »
Game mode takes off any post processing steps. Game mode is the closest thing to reference on a tv set. Now with that said things like standard and vivid and animation add some sort of post processing to the video a lot of people like this look. But like under vivid you usually start getting crushed blacks and over saturation but it "POPS" to the eyes so people like it. I have my TV mode set for custom with a self calibration using ISF for both Night and day modes for watching movies/tv if I am playing games I do set it to game mode to get rid of the slight lag.

Offline Govna

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 03:28:25 pm »
I just have a custom profile that's set to remove any postprocessing steps. Does that count as 'natural?'

Offline kamuixtv99

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 04:15:59 pm »
Edit: I need to use Game mode on Project Diva X[Vita TV version]. It's too fast on any mode and it's unplayable. But this problem occurs only on rhythm/hatsune miku games. Btw, on my laptops since most are Intel IGPs, I choose Vivid mode  for real-life TV series/movies. I have custom settings for anime, because the default vivid mode over saturates it. I also have custom settings for the Yellow race [Korean/Japanese] Intel can't do it right for this race but I switch it back to vivid when on Bravia or LG TVs.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 04:30:39 pm by kamuixtv99 »

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 06:34:51 am »
Game mode is there to turn off most image processing features which increase input lag.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Pentium100

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 05:01:21 am »
I use game mode on my TV because otherwise it has so much input lag, that video is noticeably behind audio (which really annoys me). I am considering buying an audio delay processor, but they are not cheap, so I do not have it yet.
BBT Ika Musume Fanclub Member #080586
Misaka Mikoto Fanclub Member:080586

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 07:36:23 am »
I use game mode on my TV because otherwise it has so much input lag, that video is noticeably behind audio (which really annoys me). I am considering buying an audio delay processor, but they are not cheap, so I do not have it yet.
Why not buy a better TV, instead of a 3rd party device?

Offline Pentium100

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 06:25:54 am »
Why not buy a better TV, instead of a 3rd party device?

1. The TV picture is quite good, just that the input lag of analog inputs (and all modes except game) sometimes gets bad.
2. I cannot be certain that the new TV will be lag-free, after all, it wouldn't be a CRT, well, unless I bring my CR to the store (or to the seller if buying used) and test. It may also turn out that the TV with no input lag has crappy picture.
3. I paid ~900EUR for this 1.5m plasma TV 2 years ago, I assume the prices have not changed much since then (for new TVs at least - do they still make plasma TVs anyway?).  The audio delay device is maybe 150EUR. Maybe I'll figure out how to make one myself.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 06:58:29 am »
3. I paid ~900EUR for this 1.5m plasma TV 2 years ago, I assume the prices have not changed much since then (for new TVs at least - do they still make plasma TVs anyway?).  The audio delay device is maybe 150EUR. Maybe I'll figure out how to make one myself.
Ignoring the first two as I honestly think they're nonsense, this is a very good reason for why not to. I had not considered the price difference.

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 07:59:08 am »
TVs in general do a lot of processing, hence the lag. Using game mode and other modes which reduce the time lag will only manage that while reducing the amount of processing, thus terrible quality.

If you are buying a new TV, I would recommend you buy one of those extra large monitor (yes, 50" monitor are available), hook it up to a computer and use a TV tuner to have functions of TV as well. The lag problem will be largely solved while retaining image quality.

Also, no more plasma is coming out. OLED is the future, but even there lag is present due to processing, it will be quite a while for it go down, and that is if more companies start making them i.e.

Using audio delay device, well, that is a somewhat crude solution.

EDIT: 55" Dell Monitor, not TV, very less lag Has good reviews and price is reasonable. Though it seems to be TN. >_> Do search around, you might find something nice as well.

NEC monitor, IIRC are industrial grade and while costly are quite good. I could be completely off the mark on NEC though.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:04:07 am by Mistgun_Zero »

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline Pentium100

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 09:32:33 am »
If you are buying a new TV, I would recommend you buy one of those extra large monitor (yes, 50" monitor are available), hook it up to a computer and use a TV tuner to have functions of TV as well. The lag problem will be largely solved while retaining image quality.
This is good advice, assuming one does not need analog (CVBS, SCART) inputs. I actually almost bought a used plasma monitor (though that had the video inputs, just did not have a TV tuner), but realized that a 1.5m TV will not fit in my car, so I ordered a new TV with delivery.

Also, no more plasma is coming out. OLED is the future, but even there lag is present due to processing, it will be quite a while for it go down, and that is if more companies start making them i.e.
If the picture quality (black levels) is as good as (or better than) plasma then great.

Using audio delay device, well, that is a somewhat crude solution.
But cheapest since I already have a TV and since all my audio is analog I can easily include it in my system.

If I needed a new TV anyway, I would look for one with imperceptible lag even on analog inputs (do new TVs still have CVBS/SCART inputs/outputs?), or rather I would add lag to the list of parameters I would consider before buying. However, when I bought my current TV, it was pretty much the only choice available (as I was looking for a plasma TV and did not want to spend more than ~900EUR for a 1.5m TV with good black levels). Still I can fix lag with audio delay (after all, I am not playing games on the TV, so I do not care about input lag, just that audio and video are in sync). Or I would buy a projector.

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 10:47:25 am »
OLED is pretty much the benchmark for picture quality for now, since OLED will just turn off a pixel for black color, thus giving you infinite contrast ratio. Though price is too high.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline Pentium100

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 05:58:13 pm »
OLED is pretty much the benchmark for picture quality for now, since OLED will just turn off a pixel for black color, thus giving you infinite contrast ratio. Though price is too high.

This is really nice, because the black level is one of the things I like about CRTs and was disappointed with my plasma (even though other people in forums assured me that the black levels of my plasma were average for a plasma TV and better than average LCDs). Still, the warranty is running out and I will try to tweak the black levels of my TV to be better.

Online kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 07:15:30 pm »
that only applies in theory, the requirement to satisfy an "infinite contrast ratio" is to have an infinite bit resolution over the LED's controller, which is technically impossible.
though it won't be unusual to see a billion to one contrast ratio on OLED displays, with the most common target being a million to one contrast ratio.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 08:48:14 pm »
Well that explains the lag, you bought a plasma TV.

There are no real benefits to choosing plasma over LCD that are a good choice. Plasma TVs use more electricity, they don't last as long as LCD and they're more dangerous than LCD, not to mention far heavier.
You trade that in exchange for a few microscopial black levels of contrast that your eye probably can't even detect anyway.

As an example, my first LCD TV was a Samsung series 5, 32". It was not LED, it had 100,000:1 contrast ratio.
My second LCD TV was LEDLCD, it was 46" @ 50,000:1 contrast. This was noticibly grey, but still quite good on every other color. The TV was cheap, meh.

My latest purchase, which I am waiting on stock fulfilment, is a 55" LEDLCD with 300,000:1 contrast. It was $799AUD
By comparison, a similar quality Plasma TV costs around $2500

Offline Pentium100

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 09:27:39 pm »
Well that explains the lag, you bought a plasma TV.

There are no real benefits to choosing plasma over LCD that are a good choice. Plasma TVs use more electricity, they don't last as long as LCD and they're more dangerous than LCD, not to mention far heavier.
You trade that in exchange for a few microscopial black levels of contrast that your eye probably can't even detect anyway.
I watch TV in the dark, so black levels matter to me more than contrast (which can be increased by making the white levels brighter, I know how it is with some LCD monitors). I hoped for CRT-like black levels (I may still get closer to that, with the adjustments). I do not really care about power consumption (as long as it does not trip the breaker or melt the socket).

OLED seems interesting though, not that I would just go and buy a new TV while the old one still works and is similar size (an even bigger TV would not fit).

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 10:03:13 pm »
Yeah, make your next upgrade OLED, but definitely once the price is more sane.

I have one of the OLED model PSVitas and damn do they look fine.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 10:22:16 pm »
Yeah, make your next upgrade OLED, but definitely once the price is more sane.

I have one of the OLED model PSVitas and damn do they look fine.

The LG OLED was on sale for 1600$ for the 65" over blackfriday on amazon. If I had not already booked a vacation I would have jumped all over it.

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 02:16:25 pm »
On the good news side, Panasonic have created a LCD Panel which manages a 1,000,000:1 static contrast ratio (this is static contrast ratio, LCD, even the best only manage about 2000:1. What Krudda mentions was dynamic contrast ratio, easy to market).

The closest thing to oled without the hefty price tag. Might be a year or two before it comes out. If. That is. Panasonic really doesn't know how to market.

Homu-Homu is troubled