Author Topic: Paul Ryan Plans to Phase Out Medicare in 2017  (Read 569 times)

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
Paul Ryan Plans to Phase Out Medicare in 2017
« on: November 14, 2016, 05:36:25 am »
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/ryan-plans-to-phase-out-medicare-in-2017

What the fuck is with this scumbag...? Seriously, it's always this guy. He has to be the biggest piece of shit in the country. He may as well just take an assault rifle and start gunning people down, because he'll be killing them just as surely.

Offline halfelite

Re: Paul Ryan Plans to Phase Out Medicare in 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:21:52 pm »
I have a serious question. Do you take every post you come across that fits your views 100% to heart. I can pick at huge glaring flaws in that article.

"First, Ryan claims that Obamacare has put Medicare under deeper financial stress. Precisely the opposite is true. And it's so straightforward Ryan unquestionably knows this. The Affordable Care Act actually extended Medicare's solvency by more than a decade. Ryan's claim is flat out false."

Ummm how did it exactly do that. Reading what Obamacare/ACA did the very first thing in the law is the intent of ACA was that all legal residents with incomes below 138% of FPL would get Medicaid coverage for free. How does that extended Medicares Solvency you added a burden onto it. Second the only thing that saved Medicare from exploding was the supreme court rejected it being a requirement for each state so only a handful of states actually adopted it and after they did most of them are going back to find a way to charge a small fee to help cover the cost.

While I dont agree with getting rid of it. Like anything it needs a reform to better handle the fiscal impact. But at least find an article that tells some truth.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
Re: Paul Ryan Plans to Phase Out America in 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 12:11:48 am »
Who's Paul Ryan?

Offline krumm

Re: Paul Ryan Plans to Phase Out America in 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 01:14:58 am »
Who's Paul Ryan?

for now he is the speaker of the house.  Don't know if he will continue to be tho.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 05:24:30 am »
I have a serious question. Do you take every post you come across that fits your views 100% to heart. I can pick at huge glaring flaws in that article.

"First, Ryan claims that Obamacare has put Medicare under deeper financial stress. Precisely the opposite is true. And it's so straightforward Ryan unquestionably knows this. The Affordable Care Act actually extended Medicare's solvency by more than a decade. Ryan's claim is flat out false."

Ummm how did it exactly do that. Reading what Obamacare/ACA did the very first thing in the law is the intent of ACA was that all legal residents with incomes below 138% of FPL would get Medicaid coverage for free. How does that extended Medicares Solvency you added a burden onto it. Second the only thing that saved Medicare from exploding was the supreme court rejected it being a requirement for each state so only a handful of states actually adopted it and after they did most of them are going back to find a way to charge a small fee to help cover the cost.

While I dont agree with getting rid of it. Like anything it needs a reform to better handle the fiscal impact. But at least find an article that tells some truth.
Are you seriously sitting there nitpicking the fucking article? Who gives a shit? I really couldn't care less what the moron that wrote some article had to say.

This is literally the only thing you need to read: "Paul Ryan has been pushing to phase out Medicare and replace it with private insurance for several years. But now it's real with unified Republican government. He just said he will try to rush it through early next year while repealing Obamacare." And honestly, there's not many ways to spin that. He has been, and it is what he plans to do.

Who's Paul Ryan?
Chairman of the House Budget Committee, and a Republican, which pretty much makes him the worst douchebag in the whole of American politicians. He was also Mitt Romney's Vice President running mate vs Obama & Biden. He's a sniveling little weasel of a man. I encourage you to watch the Biden-Ryan VP debate. Biden actually laughed at him to his face repeatedly because he was so ridiculous. It was embarrassing to watch, Ryan was totally out of his league. This should be the full thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3roG09O6T4

It's an hour and a half long but it's worth watching for comedic value of Biden's reactions alone.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 09:00:31 pm »
Because I dont go off click bait headlines. It has been projected for years that medicare part A would run out of money by 2030 and to expect major cut backs to how it operates as soon as 2019 so its 2 years before most projections had it at. Part B and D are a little more self sufficient as the money comes from premiums paid by beneficiaries and the premium price keeps going up every year but it will soon hit a limit as well.

As I said I am not a fan of totally cutting them out they just need a better budget and more guidelines.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 07:52:01 pm »
Medicare for All would not only give us universal healthcare but would make medicare solvent indefinitely. It'd also save us over $200 billion a year. So, there's that.

Offline Lillymon

• pointlessness
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 01:16:47 am »
Reading what Obamacare/ACA did the very first thing in the law is the intent of ACA was that all legal residents with incomes below 138% of FPL would get Medicaid coverage for free. How does that extended Medicares Solvency you added a burden onto it.
Erm, hate to break this to you but Medicare and Medicaid are two entirely different programs. Medicare is a single-payer health insurance program for those aged 65 and older (as well as some younger people who qualify separately), Medicaid is a system of subsidies to help poorer people buy private health insurance. They do different things, cover different people, and reforming one needn't mean touching the other. Adding burdens onto Medicaid won't make Medicare insolvent faster any more than me splurging on Amiibos will make you insolvent any faster.

Second the only thing that saved Medicare from exploding was the supreme court rejected it being a requirement for each state so only a handful of states actually adopted it and after they did most of them are going back to find a way to charge a small fee to help cover the cost.
Again, I know the part of the Supreme Court case you're talking about and that also concerned only Medicaid, not Medicare. It's actually pretty easy to see that you must be talking about Medicaid rather than Medicare here as soon as you mention state requirements, Medicaid is primarily state-run but Medicare is administered entirely by the federal government.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 10:09:23 pm »
Erm, hate to break this to you but Medicare and Medicaid are two entirely different programs. Medicare is a single-payer health insurance program for those aged 65 and older (as well as some younger people who qualify separately), Medicaid is a system of subsidies to help poorer people buy private health insurance. They do different things, cover different people, and reforming one needn't mean touching the other. Adding burdens onto Medicaid won't make Medicare insolvent faster any more than me splurging on Amiibos will make you insolvent any faster.

Again, I know the part of the Supreme Court case you're talking about and that also concerned only Medicaid, not Medicare. It's actually pretty easy to see that you must be talking about Medicaid rather than Medicare here as soon as you mention state requirements, Medicaid is primarily state-run but Medicare is administered entirely by the federal government.

Sorry I was typing fast and Mixed up some of the coverage names. Still medicare plan A is still financed by a trust that is expected to run out of money. ACA added more amount of coverage and while it did take some budget cuts it was not enough nor did all the cuts go into effect or might never go into effect. While it did add the 0.9% tax increase for people making 200k+ a year the amount of people joining medicare vs the amount of people making 200k+ is not linear. The chief actuary of Mediacare has said its not feasible for the long run.  Same goes for Medicade though while it is state ran it is also government funded a bit I dont know the specs for how medicaid is fully funded though.  I see it as the longer you wait to fix it the more money you are just dumping away.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 03:09:06 am »
Apparently he's conducting a survey now, for whatever reason: https://www.reddit.com/r/progressive/comments/5dmm4y/paul_ryan_is_conducting_a_survey_measuring/

Paul Ryan is Conducting a Survey Measuring Support for Obamacare/Affordable Care Act. Without talking to anyone, you can participate in the survey by calling Ryan's office.

Through his office voicemail, Paul Ryan is conducting a survey to measure support for the ACA.

Here is what I did to cast my support for Obamacare. Perhaps the Congressman will sober up on his "repeal," if enough of us flood the survey with support.

Call Ryan's office at 202-225-3031. **I waited through dead silence for over a minute and a half, but it went through. Other people have experienced varying times of this dead silence as well; just be patient.
    Press '2' to take the survey.
    Listen to the message (It is very anti-Obamacare, but you have to sit it out.)
    Press '1' to show your support for the ACA.

ALSO: the person who originally posted this said that he/she called and received a message saying the voicemail was full. He then simply hung up and immediately called back, sat through the odd dead silence and got through. I think this might be worth trying. Please feel free to pass this on, and comment if something goes wrong or something is changed.

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 04:08:15 pm »
It's OK, my retirement plan is taken care of.  I'm going to rob banks.  If I get away with it, I'm set for life.  If I don't, I'll either be dead or in jail.  So, YAY!   :laugh:

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 02:23:57 pm »
It's OK, my retirement plan is taken care of.  I'm going to rob banks.  If I get away with it, I'm set for life.  If I don't, I'll either be dead or in jail.  So, YAY!   :laugh:

I've got 19 years to retirement.  Assuming my job remains steady (it most likely will), the economy doesn't implode, the stock market doesn't crash, my health doesn't plummet (no reason to believe that will happen yet), and the world more-or-less continues to exist until then, I should be able to retire with enough money where I could survive without Social Security at least, and possibly Medicare.  Worst case scenario, I WILL retire to some other country with a cheaper cost of living and/or programs that help out the elderly.

I occasionally look at websites for information on retirement planning, and one I saw yesterday said to plan on your retirement money lasting 40 years.  WTF, seriously?  Are that many wealthy people retiring in their 40s and 50s?  Fuck, I plan on retiring at 62 and dying at 82, maybe as long as 87.  More and more people I know are working until their late 60s or into their 70s.  I don't want to be old and decrepit and living in a nursing home, and I can't see it becoming commonplace to live to 100 with a vibrant, normal existence.  At least not any time soon.  It's one reason I don't have too much of a problem with the ready availability of firearms in the U.S.... before I get to the point where I can't take care of myself, a handgun and a bullet is a lot cheaper and faster option than a slow death in a nursing home.  And I'm not going to have any heirs, so there's no reason for me to not spend every penny I earn before I die.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Tanis

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 05:07:21 am »
GOP: WE NEED TO REPLACE OBAMACARE!

Everyone Else: With What?

GOP: JESUS WANTS US TO REPLACE OBAMACARE!

GOP: OBAMACARE IS KILLING THE MIDDLE CLASS SO WE NEED TO REPLACE IT!

GOP: OBAMACARE IS KILLING BABIES SO WE NEED TO REPLACE IT!

GOP: WE NEED TO REPEAL AND REPLACE OBAMACARE!

GOP: SATAN LOVES OBAMACARE SO WE NEED TO REPLACE OBAMACARE!

-------------------------
Thank you GOP, because of you many Americans will finally be given the chance to die earlier then they had to due to a lack of healthcare and money.

Seriously though?

Fuck Paul Ryan and MM.
Scum like that make me wish for a heaven...so I'd know there's a hell for them to burn in.

Offline surdumil

• Yeah! I'm lookin' at you!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 07:08:28 pm »
So, they have a concrete plan to remove the health insurance program and they have no replacement.
Smoke and mirrors.  Sort of what a salesman would come up with to make money selling crap.
Almost as if someone makes a living doing that sort of thing, eh?