Author Topic: NASA released peer reviewed study on the EM drive  (Read 957 times)

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
Re: NASA released peer reviewed study on the EM drive
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 02:46:34 pm »
you're forgetting the fact that space is riddled with gravity fields from other planets and stars, mind you even a small amount of gravity would cause you to accelerate backwards.
these gravity fields are in fact enormous, the sun in particular has a field that reaches as far as the furthest orbiting object around the sun, namely the Oort Cloud.

you need enough thrust to not get pulled back or be decelerated by those gravity fields, and this engine is sufficient for that.
Not really. You can very well maintain an orbit around the sun without thrust whatsoever. Add trust from there and you can continuously increase the size of your orbit.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:50:21 am by Burkingam »
Altmed is altfact!

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 03:13:07 pm »
right, i forgot the part where the gravitational pull only affects your "trajectory" and not "velocity".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 03:16:09 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 09:54:28 pm »
right, i forgot the part where the gravitational pull only affects your "trajectory" and not "velocity".
Once again, no.  Gravity adds an additional acceleration vector, no more, no less.  It can only stop/directly reverse the course of an object if it is EXACTLY 180° to the velocity vector (if any) of the object.

Once again, NASA isn't investigating these thrusters simply for kicks.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 03:14:52 am by Bozobub »

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 01:01:39 am »
The nice thing about EM thrusters is that since they use simple electricity as energy source, in a pinch they can be shut down to free power for other things like your Cloak Device or a Defense Drone. The Rebel Fleet doesn't stand a chance!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:05:47 am by Burkingam »
Altmed is altfact!

Online Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2016, 03:09:00 am »
The nice thing about EM thrusters is that since they use simple electricity as energy source, in a pinch they can be shut down to free power for other things like your Cloak Device or a Defense Drone. The Rebel Fleet doesn't stand a chance!

Ion cannons + fire beams / glaive beams are a lot of fun too.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 03:16:18 am »
I have a copy of FTL running right now, letting the crew gain experience on a wimpy ship (fire ions only, let incoming fire bounce off; lather, rinse, repeat) :laugh: .  Just got the Stealth ship, and damn, no shields?!

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 10:12:10 pm »
I have a copy of FTL running right now, letting the crew gain experience on a wimpy ship (fire ions only, let incoming fire bounce off; lather, rinse, repeat) :laugh: .  Just got the Stealth ship, and damn, no shields?!

Ions is the only way I've beaten the game so far.  Ion out the wazoo and have one turret drone.  Took forever, but it worked.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 10:48:18 pm »
I prefer the Weapon Precharger and 2x big flak cannon =).  Worked nicely for me a few times so far.  I'm STILL trying to get the Engi ship through to the end though, dammit.

Online Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 12:55:12 am »
Bitches!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Admittedly, I've played a lot on Easy, but I got a few achievements on Normal and Hard.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 07:57:40 am »
Bitches!

Why is it when anyone says that, I think of Yuri from XXX?  Or Red Forman's Bad Day (Robocop)

https://youtu.be/Nn0qqAmtKHQ

Admittedly, I've played a lot on Easy, but I got a few achievements on Normal and Hard.
[/quote]

I bow to the power of your FTL EPeen!  It is truly more epic than mine!

I'm STILL trying to get the Engi ship through to the end though, dammit.

Dude, Ions like a mofo!  I had three Ion Cannons of different ranks, ion bombs, a defense Turret and a beam turret.  I ioned the boss's systems so badly that the beam drone would set fire to the ship and poof, done!  The trick is to Ion the torpedoes first!

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 03:26:53 am »
Iron the tuxedos?

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 06:32:29 am »
Iron tuxedos would be a bit comfy.