Author Topic: Trump Wants 35% Tariffs for Imported Goods  (Read 296 times)

Offline Semnae

Trump Wants 35% Tariffs for Imported Goods
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:22:35 pm »
Trump is warning that he will impose a 35% tariff on goods produced by companies that leave the US, then import those goods back into the United States. The idea is to keep jobs here in America. Apparently, Trump failed his high school history class, or he'd know this is a bad idea. He wouldn't be the first to put tariffs on imported American goods. The Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act of 1930 created tariff wars with other countries. If we put tariffs on the exports of other countries, they will put tariffs on our exports, and the global economy will suffer.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
Re: Trump Wants 35% Tariffs for Imported Goods
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:38:28 pm »
Did you not read your own text?
It only applies to re imported exports.
What it will do, is encourage the disuse of offshore processing plants and packaging.

Ultimately though, that just means the end consumer will absolve those costs.
Prepare for more expensive groceries bro.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:06:19 am »
What it will do, is encourage the disuse of offshore processing plants and packaging.

Ultimately though, that just means the end consumer will absolve those costs.
Prepare for more expensive groceries bro.

A "re imported export" is a term that's very much prone to legalise.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Semnae

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 05:39:14 am »

I guarantee you, our trade partners will not care. If we put any kind of tariff on their goods, they are going to respond in kind and say the US started it.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 05:51:52 am »

I guarantee you, our trade partners will not care. If we put any kind of tariff on their goods, they are going to respond in kind and say the US started it.
What trade partner? This applies to offshore packaging and reimportation, there are no other companies involved. Its cheaper to export goods to Taiwan, pay Taiwanese to pack them, then import them to America (same company that exported them) than it is to pay Americans to do it.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 07:25:24 pm »
This scares me a lot more:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/12/01/no-one-can-stop-president-trump-from-using-nuclear-weapons-thats-by-design/

There is the fail safe that the Secretary of Defense has to acknowledge the launch as well. But as the president can in turn fire the Secretary of Defense I dont know how the Two-Man Rule works in that case. Then at each missile site and submarine a two man crew has to decide if the launch is authentic, If the launch codes match they are not supposed to question the launch but I would like to think most of them would.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 01:22:24 am »
This scares me a lot more:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/12/01/no-one-can-stop-president-trump-from-using-nuclear-weapons-thats-by-design/

There is the fail safe that the Secretary of Defense has to acknowledge the launch as well. But as the president can in turn fire the Secretary of Defense I dont know how the Two-Man Rule works in that case. Then at each missile site and submarine a two man crew has to decide if the launch is authentic, If the launch codes match they are not supposed to question the launch but I would like to think most of them would.

Yeah, nobody in the public sector is really sure what would happen either.

Could the secretary of defense refuse to carry out a presidential order for a nuclear attack? The legal and constitutional aspects are not clear. The official doctrine that has been released says nothing about this question, and the cryptic public responses to official inquiries, even from Congress, indicate that it is not something that can be openly talked about. “Only the president can authorize the use of nuclear weapons” is essentially the only reply officials ever give to any questions about nuclear controls. Could the president simply fire the defense secretary and move on to the deputy secretary, the secretary of the Army and so on through the chain of command? Maybe. Such an action would at least slow things down, even if the refusal to carry out the order was illegal.

Trump, being the wildcard that he is, is at least shocking a lot of people out of complacency and prompting a lot of questions that many of us have been able to ignore or shrug off until now due to their lack of immediacy.  But since few people anticipated a jackass of his caliber getting to the position he is in today, it's really not a good thing that we have to have these discussions at all.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.