Author Topic: Anibu - Anime Library Browser  (Read 1730 times)

Offline viralreaper

Anibu - Anime Library Browser
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:05:05 pm »
Hey guys,

I was getting frustrated with trying to come up with a regex for Kodi's filename-based scraping that would get everything and I knew AniDB used hash-based lookups (so it didn't actually need a filename) so I ended up just building my own anime library browser as a Windows Store App for Windows 10. This was before I knew about Shoko (aka JMM) so most of my app's functionality can be replicated by Shoko, but the app is designed to be simple to setup and more geared towards consuming content rather than managing it (i.e. more like Netflix and less like iTunes). I'm also too invested now to stop working on it (I know, sunk cost fallacy and all that :P ) so I'm plenty interested in any feedback people have. I'll also be adding things as I have a need for them (it's nice to make stuff work exactly the way I want), but I work full time and Windows Store certification can be retarded sometimes, so updates will probably appear sporadic.

Anyway, the app is free on the Windows Store.

Finally, I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by making this post (it didn't seem that way when I checked), but feel free to delete if this is inappropriate.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:17:05 pm by viralreaper »

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
Re: Anibu - Anime Library Browser
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 06:06:10 am »
This is pretty nice. And which player do those anime files open in (like MPC, VLC, or the default windows metro app player).

Can this be used for HTPC? And since I am a bit dumb on tech of these, how does this recognize the anime I have already downloaded. And if I have them in a multiple location and folders, will all be still shown? Got it.

And hentai? Do they show up? A filter option to show and hide them? (password even - yeah that's too much)

And all those tags, cover images and all? Is that within the app itself?

As for things to add - something like what ANN list and myanimelist has.
Like:
- Watched
- Watching
- Dropped
- To Watch

In that 'To Watch' list is probably the most important and would make more sense, just go to that tab and start watching, rather than going through the whole library to find something new.

And we have season charts and the like, something like that or rec's for anime not in the library as well would be nice.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:25:22 am by Mistgun_Zero »

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:59:38 am »
And which player do those anime files open in (like MPC, VLC, or the default windows metro app player).
Due to restrictions with UWP apps, the episode files will open with whatever application you have associated with the file type. In other words, opening an episode within the app is equivalent to double clicking the video file in Windows Explorer. I actually specifically wanted this behavior anyway because I have CCCP + madVR setup the way I want and didn't like Kodi trying to play everything with its built-in player.

Can this be used for HTPC? And since I am a bit dumb on tech of these, how does this recognize the anime I have already downloaded.
Yes, this was intended for HTPC usage at the outset. There's even a borderless fullscreen mode so that you're just looking at your anime collection. Files are recognized by hashing them (more intuitively, generating a unique ID) and looking them up in AniDB.

And hentai? Do they show up? A filter option to show and hide them?
Hentai will show up like any other anime and there's currently no mechanism to hide them because I don't have hentai in my collection so there wasn't a need for that functionality. If there's enough interest in it, I can probably add it.

All the information presented in the anime info page is directly from the AniDB page on the anime, including the poster art. Only a subset of the total information is presented, to keep things clean, but the data is there if I need it for future functionality :)

Like:
- Watched
- Watching
- Dropped
- To Watch

In that 'To Watch' list is probably the most important and would make more sense, just go to that tab and start watching, rather than going through the whole library to find something new.

And we have season charts and the like, something like that or rec's for anime not in the library as well would be nice.
The app has a local queue that you can add shows to to track what you want to watch next (just think of the My List from Netflix, except it doesn't reorder itself at random and you don't have to hunt for it in the UI), and as of the most recent update, there's a mechanism for marking shows as Watched and hiding them from your collection view. All of this functionality is local to the app (i.e. it's not synced with your AniDB profile information). I'm not sure what differentiates between Dropped and Watched (I know they mean different things, but functionally, the end result is that you've stopped watching a show), and I have thought about a Recently Watching system of some sort, but for now, just using the queue has been good enough for me. If you have different feedback after using it, let me know.

I've also thought it would be fun to build a recommendation engine into the application that runs locally based off your viewing and rating behavior, but that's something to investigate much later  ;D

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 08:41:12 am »
And which player do those anime files open in (like MPC, VLC, or the default windows metro app player).
Due to restrictions with UWP apps, the episode files will open with whatever application you have associated with the file type. In other words, opening an episode within the app is equivalent to double clicking the video file in Windows Explorer. I actually specifically wanted this behavior anyway because I have CCCP + madVR setup the way I want and didn't like Kodi trying to play everything with its built-in player.
Cool. This is exactly what I wanted as well. And I would say the majority would also. Nice job on this.

Can this be used for HTPC? And since I am a bit dumb on tech of these, how does this recognize the anime I have already downloaded.
Yes, this was intended for HTPC usage at the outset. There's even a borderless fullscreen mode so that you're just looking at your anime collection. Files are recognized by hashing them (more intuitively, generating a unique ID) and looking them up in AniDB.

That is fine for me
And hentai? Do they show up? A filter option to show and hide them?
Hentai will show up like any other anime and there's currently no mechanism to hide them because I don't have hentai in my collection so there wasn't a need for that functionality. If there's enough interest in it, I can probably add it.

I would it would be 101 of any library writing guide, but I will just keep all stuff in different folder and won't bother adding it to the library, but it would be a really really good option to have.

All the information presented in the anime info page is directly from the AniDB page on the anime, including the poster art. Only a subset of the total information is presented, to keep things clean, but the data is there if I need it for future functionality :)

I liked your choices, no problems there.

Like:
- Watched
- Watching
- Dropped
- To Watch

The app has a local queue that you can add shows to to track what you want to watch next (just think of the My List from Netflix, except it doesn't reorder itself at random and you don't have to hunt for it in the UI), and as of the most recent update, there's a mechanism for marking shows as Watched and hiding them from your collection view. All of this functionality is local to the app (i.e. it's not synced with your AniDB profile information). I'm not sure what differentiates between Dropped and Watched (I know they mean different things, but functionally, the end result is that you've stopped watching a show), and I have thought about a Recently Watching system of some sort, but for now, just using the queue has been good enough for me. If you have different feedback after using it, let me know.

I've also thought it would be fun to build a recommendation engine into the application that runs locally based off your viewing and rating behavior, but that's something to investigate much later  ;D
Dropped basically means I stopped watching the show midway (probably because I didn't like it, chances are I might never complete and just forget about it existence).  and would not watch again. Watched shows are ones which I have already finished watching and might watch again.

EDIT: What happens if I have files structure like this:

Fairy Tail
 - Season 1 - Episode 1 -49
 - Season 2 - Episode 50-99
 - Season 3 - Episode 100-145

or

Fairy Tail Season 1
Fairy Tail Season 2
Fairy Tail Season 3
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:47:06 am by Mistgun_Zero »

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 07:08:50 pm »
Dropped basically means I stopped watching the show midway (probably because I didn't like it, chances are I might never complete and just forget about it existence).  and would not watch again. Watched shows are ones which I have already finished watching and might watch again.
I get that they mean different things, but what would you want a library browser to do with a show marked as Dropped? You're likely going to delete it from your local collection anyway, and if you didn't, you could mark it Watched to allow it to be hidden.

EDIT: What happens if I have files structure like this:

Fairy Tail
 - Season 1 - Episode 1 -49
 - Season 2 - Episode 50-99
 - Season 3 - Episode 100-145

or

Fairy Tail Season 1
Fairy Tail Season 2
Fairy Tail Season 3
Scraping is recursive so if you have a folder that has all your anime, you just need to add that root folder to the app; file naming and folder structure don't matter. Ideally, you don't have other video files intermixed with your anime because you will end up wasting time hashing files that AniDB has no idea about. Once the files are recognized, they will show up under the show info:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:13:50 pm by viralreaper »

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 02:33:46 pm »
I'll keep this short: Cool app. Though, I haven't explored everything yet.

UI is simple. Easy to navigate. I don't have to rename files, which is very useful when reseeding: no more manual file linking. Put the torrent on and start rechecking at the same time keeping things organized.

I wish you could integrate MAL + A-P functions so it automatically updates without having us leave the player to update it ourselves.

For library sorting, I want a per-series grouping like CLANNAD, CLANNAD: The Motion Pictures and CLANNAD ~After Story~ will be grouped together instead of per season. Though, if it's a single season anime like Henneko, no need to put it on a series group. The reason for this is because some anime have different name but are on the same series like Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Kaleid, and Fate/Zero or selector Infected WIXOSS, selector Spread WIXOSS, and selector Destructed WIXOSS.
Although, you might have trouble with this one because I believe AniDB doesn't have per series grouping.

Since everything is checked on AniDB, you may also add "File specs" option should the user wants to find out what group, video/audio specs, and subtitle info.

I believe this is the code I redeemed: JFRH2-9MTPD-FK4RT-D39HH-M23DZ

Also, you might want to fix display issues at High DPI displays. The app sometimes crashes. This happened to me while hashing files. Could you look up into it?
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Also, thanks for developing this. Looking forward for further updates ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:57:46 pm by ridon428 »

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 07:53:59 pm »
I wish you could integrate MAL + A-P functions so it automatically updates without having us leave the player to update it ourselves.
MAL integration is feasible, but tricky: the main issue is that MAL and AniDB don't have the same IDs for shows, and MAL's API looks to be pure text search based, which would be unreliable to use when trying to match AniDB information with MAL information. The saving grace is that most (all?) show entries in AniDB contain a MAL link under the Resources section, and in some cases even per episode, so I can infer the MAL ID from that information, but you're at the mercy of whether the data is there and if it's correct. I don't mind building an integration that will basically operate best effort, but I don't personally use MAL so I'll be honest that it'll be low on the list of things to do. For reference though, can you describe how you would expect the MAL integration to work? What are the actions you want to be able to do?

I don't think Anime-Planet has a public API so that won't be possible until they expose one, but it would have the same challenges as MAL integration in that there's needs to be a way to associate AniDB entries with A-P entries.

For library sorting, I want a per-series grouping like CLANNAD, CLANNAD: The Motion Pictures and CLANNAD ~After Story~ will be grouped together instead of per season. Though, if it's a single season anime like Henneko, no need to put it on a series group. The reason for this is because some anime have different name but are on the same series like Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Kaleid, and Fate/Zero or selector Infected WIXOSS, selector Spread WIXOSS, and selector Destructed WIXOSS.
I can do a 'Series' grouping that only groups together shows that are direct prequels/sequels/side-story and the group name would come from the root show (so if an older anime got a newer prequel, it would be grouped with the prequel name). Would that work for you?

Since everything is checked on AniDB, you may also add "File specs" option should the user wants to find out what group, video/audio specs, and subtitle info.
Where would you want to see that info?

Also, you might want to fix display issues at High DPI displays.
Are you having display issues elsewhere in the app or only the right side of the Settings page?

The app sometimes crashes. This happened to me while hashing files. Could you look up into it?
The Windows Store dashboard shows there was a crash, but there's no information about it. Are you able to reproduce the crash at all?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:06:25 pm by viralreaper »

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 09:20:15 pm »
I tried downloading this. 18 hours later, MS store still shows 'starting download'. MS Store is kinda of a mess even now.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 10:36:17 pm »
I tried downloading this. 18 hours later, MS store still shows 'starting download'. MS Store is kinda of a mess even now.
Well that's depressing to hear. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to help :(

@ridon428:
I got the Series grouping I described in my earlier post working and it is pretty verbose, even with standalone shows being grouped all together. You'd pretty much have to use the content nav bar to get around:

I'm thinking I might group series that you are missing continuations for together in their own subgroup so only series where you have some amount of the continuations will broken out into their own group. Not sure yet, I'm going to try it out for a while and see how I feel.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:53:00 pm by viralreaper »

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 01:36:11 am »
MAL integration is feasible, but tricky: the main issue is that MAL and AniDB don't have the same IDs for shows, and MAL's API looks to be pure text search based, which would be unreliable to use when trying to match AniDB information with MAL information. The saving grace is that most (all?) show entries in AniDB contain a MAL link under the Resources section, and in some cases even per episode, so I can infer the MAL ID from that information, but you're at the mercy of whether the data is there and if it's correct. I don't mind building an integration that will basically operate best effort, but I don't personally use MAL so I'll be honest that it'll be low on the list of things to do. For reference though, can you describe how you would expect the MAL integration to work? What are the actions you want to be able to do?

I don't think Anime-Planet has a public API so that won't be possible until they expose one, but it would have the same challenges as MAL integration in that there's needs to be a way to associate AniDB entries with A-P entries.
Oh, Get ID for AniDB and use text search to update MAL? For example, I clicked the episode 5 then the app updates our MAL profile to update it to watching anime x episode 5.

I can do a 'Series' grouping that only groups together shows that are direct prequels/sequels/side-story and the group name would come from the root show (so if an older anime got a newer prequel, it would be grouped with the prequel name). Would that work for you?
Is there a way to group it with the master name? Like group Monogatari Series for Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Tsukimonogatari...

Where would you want to see that info?
Right click the file then File Info...?

Also, you might want to fix display issues at High DPI displays.
Are you having display issues elsewhere in the app or only the right side of the Settings page?

The synopsis seems to have been cut off (on my laptop. The high DPI display one)

The app sometimes crashes. This happened to me while hashing files. Could you look up into it?
The Windows Store dashboard shows there was a crash, but there's no information about it. Are you able to reproduce the crash at all?
It happened while Anibu is hashing files and I'm browsing the internet. If I'm not using my desktop, Anibu is working fine.

I think this also happened when Windows turned off the display. I just played a video and repeat it so the display wouldn't turn off.

@ridon428:
I got the Series grouping I described in my earlier post working and it is pretty verbose, even with standalone shows being grouped all together. You'd pretty much have to use the content nav bar to get around:
I'm thinking I might group series that you are missing continuations for together in their own subgroup so only series where you have some amount of the continuations will broken out into their own group. Not sure yet, I'm going to try it out for a while and see how I feel.
Yes, that's how I want it to work. Although, you may have problems grouping some series like Monogatari and Fate/. Maybe groups can be sorted by release date. I also would like to suggest you remove "Standalone" group for standalone titles. They should be on their own.

I was now able to explore more of the app.

In some library managers (like Windows Media Player), "The" is ignored in library sorting. You might want to ignore "Gekijouban" too because this just translates to "Movie".

Thumbnail generation seems to be bugging out.

Is it possible to group main episodes, specials, and extras (NCOP, NCED)?
For a cleaner look, give the users an option to view episodes in list and in icons.
For a quicker search, you may want users to just type what they want instead of having them click the Search bar or press Ctrl + F.

I apologize if I'm demanding too much. I'm not good at programming and coding so I can only help by suggesting and spotting possible bugs.

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 02:45:25 am »
The synopsis seems to have been cut off (on my laptop. The high DPI display one)
I made that whole info area scrollable instead of just the description, which should fix the issue. Let me know if you see others.

If the app consistently crashes trying to hash a specific files, I'd definitely be interested in knowing what they are so I can to try to reproduce the crash locally. Otherwise, if the app only crashes at random while hashing, I'm not optimistic I'll be able to track it down, but I'll try.

I don't think getting rid of the Standalone group is a good idea since then the view will become insanely verbose and sparse (you'd be looking at empty space most of the time), but I'm not totally happy with Standalone group as a solution either. I'm going to play around with it more. As for grouping by something other than the root show name, I can pick something else in the relationship graph as a name, but there's not a reliable way to do something like a "master series name," unless AniDB starts including that data in their entries.

I've thought about exposing a way to sort groups in addition to the existing sorting within groups, but that complicates the UI interactions and not every grouping works with every sorting (e.g. how do you sort a series by release date? Do you use the oldest show in the series or the newest, and why is one option more intuitive than the other?). It also breaks the intuition of most groupings e.g. if you sort the alphabetical grouping by anything other than alphabetical, the list effectively appears random and there's no point to the grouping. My gut instinct is that there's almost never a reason to sort the groups themselves (aside from alphabetically because that is immediately apparent and intuitive to understand) and that any time you think you want to sort a group, you're actually in need of a different grouping. Grouping is really meant to break large quantities of data down into digestible chunks.

Gekijouban is not ignored because it's part of the official title. I purposely don't ignore "the" because I've always hated it when library managers did ignore the leading "the" and you'd get entries randomly appearing to break up alphabetical sorting; the other reason is that if the title officially includes "the", I don't see why it should be ignored.

Thumbnail generation is working fine. We're at the mercy of Windows' thumbnail generation logic and I think it just picks a specific timestamp to capture a frame of so if the episodes always open with the same thing, all the thumbnails will look the same.

Is it possible to group main episodes, specials, and extras (NCOP, NCED)?
This already happens as part of the alphabetical sorting. Not sure if there's value in making the groups more explicit.
For a cleaner look, give the users an option to view episodes in list and in icons.
Noted, although that would actually clutter the UI since those view modes have to be shown somewhere :P
For a quicker search, you may want users to just type what they want instead of having them click the Search bar or press Ctrl + F.
I don't like this behavior because it's usually surprising and feels inconsistent when the search behavior only exists on one page.

I always welcome feedback because it gives insight into how users are using my application. You never have to worry about demanding too much because I'm ultimately the one that decides what gets implemented :)

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 07:30:07 pm »
This happened to me several times. Turns out the culprit was that you just haven't updated both windows and the Microsoft store to the latest version.
If you go to settings, let it update, reboot and then run the store it should fix the everything stuck when downloading issue

As for the app, I too experienced it crashing when scraping folders. When scrapping a lot of stuff - Processed 45 of 2077
After which I got an Anidb is not available error.

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 07:55:25 pm »
Does "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2FC4.tmp.hdmp" still exist for you Duki? If so, can you compress it and share it with me somewhere?

Were you able to resume processing after the crash or are you consistently crashing right now? AniDB's API server can sometimes go offline even while the site is up and there's not much I can do about that, but it hopefully shouldn't cause the application to crash.

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 08:49:44 pm »
No, it doesn't exist. Only the report.wer was left even shortly after.

After the crash I can launch it again, but it doesn't resume - only if I click refresh library and then it starts again from scratch.

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 09:52:26 pm »
Yea, you have to manually refresh library because I've never liked auto-refresh behavior in any application. Did it crash again on the same file? I'm currently reprocessing my entire library to see if I can reproduce a crash, but nothing so far :(

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 02:58:57 am »
AniDB integration? .... Wow this is fucking awesome. AniDB > All.

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 07:47:47 am »
Besides JMM (which is seriously tons of work) this seems to be the only other decent anime browser, at least from screenshots. I will see if Duki's suggestion helps. But updates....oh well, let's see.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 09:44:29 am »
Please remember to post which codes you redeemed so I can remove them from the list, thanks!

So far, I've only reproduced a crash on shutdown while scraping the library, which I believe I've fixed, but no luck with the crash during scraping. Some of the crash telemetry is finally starting to populate, but no dumps, just stack traces :(. Based on what I saw from that, I found a case where the app could crash if the AniDB server stops responding during scraping, which I will band-aid and warn about in the progress log, but it would ultimately leave your collection incomplete until the next library refresh. Duki, I think your crash is for the same reason based on your description, but your error report is showing a fault on an instruction for an operation that shouldn't possibly fault so that one's a bit mysterious.

@ridon428:
Quote from: me
Thumbnail generation is working fine.
I'm going to eat my words there. I just realized there's a bug that can cause the "unsupported" thumbnail to be a thumbnail of some random show. The logic will be fixed in the next update, but you can fix it manually now by navigating to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\42985UFSoft.Anibu_kcwtxtj7a0wxc\LocalState, deleting the "Unsupported.thmbc", reopening the app and browsing to an anime you know has unsupported thumbnails (anything with 10-bit encodes would be a good choice). Sorry for doubting you!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:01:52 am by viralreaper »

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 01:50:28 am »
I caught it crashing. I got these on the Events Viewer:

It was hashing files when I played a 1080p+h.264+60fps+22Mbps video from the C: drive using Windows Media Player.

I got the report.wer files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8322azntx23sh7g/Report.wer?dl=0

@ridon428:
Quote from: me
Thumbnail generation is working fine.
I'm going to eat my words there. I just realized there's a bug that can cause the "unsupported" thumbnail to be a thumbnail of some random show. The logic will be fixed in the next update, but you can fix it manually now by navigating to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\42985UFSoft.Anibu_kcwtxtj7a0wxc\LocalState, deleting the "Unsupported.thmbc", reopening the app and browsing to an anime you know has unsupported thumbnails (anything with 10-bit encodes would be a good choice). Sorry for doubting you!

The "Unsupported.thmbc" file doesn't exist. And no problem about that.
It didn't exist because there wasn't anything in the library before xD
I can confirm that it is taking another show's/episode's thumbnail to generate it to a different one.

Thumbnail generation is working fine. We're at the mercy of Windows' thumbnail generation logic and I think it just picks a specific timestamp to capture a frame of so if the episodes always open with the same thing, all the thumbnails will look the same.

If so, I believe Windows 10 doesn't support thumbnail generation for .mkv files (maybe I'm wrong because Video app can now play .mkv). I'm using Icaros to make Windows Explorer generate thumbnails for .mkv files. You could integrate that there if you think it will work. Thumbnail generation is working fine on my laptop.

Edit: I made it crash again. This is what I found:
Code: [Select]
Package 42985UFSoft.Anibu_1.2.0.0_x64__kcwtxtj7a0wxc+App was terminated because it took too long to suspend.

Edit2:

How do you plan on displaying duplicate episodes due to multiple releases detected?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:21:24 am by ridon428 »

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 10:38:13 pm »
I'm not sure what caused either of your crashes, but they seem possibly related to each other. Windows 10 has unclear rules about when an app will get suspended by the OS, but the general idea is that Windows is free to suspend or terminate any unfocused apps to reclaim system resources, so it's possible Anibu was told to suspend in both cases and it wasn't able to do so in time. I've generally not had issues with leaving Anibu running in the background while doing stuff, but the behavior is different depending on whether the app is minimized or just behind another window and how many monitors you have so I probably haven't reproduced your exact situation. In any case, I've made some improvements to the shutdown behavior so hopefully the next update helps.

Windows 10 does support thumbnails for mkv, but not for 10-bit encodes, and I plan to stick with the OS thumbnail support because it's easy to integrate and will automatically improve whenever MS improves it.

Duplicate episodes from multiple releases just show up as duplicate episodes in the anime info. I haven't really done anything more than that because I'm not sure why you would keep multiple releases of a single show?