Author Topic: Anibu - Anime Library Browser  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Al_Sleeper

Re: Anibu - Anime Library Browser
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 12:18:42 am »
I'm not sure why you would keep multiple releases of a single show?
For example, to have different translations - official and fansubs.

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 01:36:56 am »
multiple fansubbed copies often are meant for comparison purposes.
other than that theres quality difference, e.g. 720p tv rip + 1080p BRip.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 02:00:15 am »
Be careful adding anything piracy related to Google Play, you're liable for all damages including "assisted piracy"
AKA: you can be sued, even if your app is only a library .

Google sent me a security inquest because an app I made had the word "attacks" in the title. I had to explain what the app was and what its function was.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 02:38:51 am »
Google sent me a security inquest because an app I made had the word "attacks" in the title. I had to explain what the app was and what its function was.

wait wut, so the games with "attacks" on their name are illegal? ahahaha.

Be careful adding anything piracy related to Google Play, you're liable for all damages including "assisted piracy"
AKA: you can be sued, even if your app is only a library .

that would put browsers and zip/rar/iso/etc. maker/viewers on a bad spot with legal issues.
this policy is simply retarded though.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:43:31 am by kitamesume »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 02:52:01 am »
Its technically illegal, but action is only taken if a formal law suit is filed. Which is not financially worth it for such apps, usually...

As to "attack", nah not illegal, just 'suspicious'

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 04:49:16 am »
I have zero interest in making an Android version of this, but I am wary of whether this technically violates the Windows Store policy. I figure this isn't much different than Plex, which does have a paid presence on the Windows Store, so I guess we'll see.

As for duplicate episodes, I was planning to make some file info show up as a tooltip for episodes anyway so that would also help differentiate between them, but I wasn't planning to do anything else. Is there a strong desire for people to see duplicate episodes presented in a particular way?

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 02:03:10 pm »
As for duplicate episodes, I was planning to make some file info show up as a tooltip for episodes anyway so that would also help differentiate between them, but I wasn't planning to do anything else. Is there a strong desire for people to see duplicate episodes presented in a particular way?
If the target users just archive anime in a simple way (1 release per season), I see no reason to do something about it. You can leave it as is but user suffers trying to play the correct file. He maybe trying to play Coalgirl's release but ended up watching Sally's because there's too less information. This is less likely to happen because even I archive only one release. I do have multiple releases but I keep them mostly for seeding my uploads.

Though, if you expect people get multiple releases for any reason and wish to use Anibu, you can try to show up duplicate episodes as one but popup a prompt to select which file is to be played. Too much hassle? I'd say yeah. What will the prompt show and how much information can we fit in there? Group, resolution + version, and source they'll appear in tabular form? That's the cleanest popup I can think of.

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2016, 06:32:24 pm »
Duplicate episodes is a situation where I'd like to see more user feedback before I decide if there's anything to be done, but unfortunately, there aren't many users :( . If you guys have friends or know others that might be interested in using Anibu, it'd be great to let them know about it; also, leaving store reviews would be greatly appreciated. I don't really expect users to regularly keep more than 1 release per show, but maybe the usage cases you guys have mentioned occur frequently enough that it'd be convenient if Anibu grouped duplicate episodes by release group.

Incidentally, the latest update for Anibu got approved so folks should see update notifications soon, but the update to the trial version got rejected so that won't be up to date with the full version yet.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 06:38:57 pm »
how does one differentiate which file belongs to which release anyway?
it sounds like a hassle if the HASH got changed because of file modifications.

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2016, 07:11:58 pm »
how does one differentiate which file belongs to which release anyway?
it sounds like a hassle if the HASH got changed because of file modifications.
AniDB tracks files based on their ED2K hash, and since duplicate episodes from different releases will generate different hashes, AniDB will have a unique entry for each file. It's rare that two different release groups will produce bitwise identical files, and rare (not impossible) for unrelated files to generate the same hash. Since these are file hashes, any file modifications you do will cause the file to be unrecognized.

Offline Dariusdd

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2016, 05:06:22 pm »
I've used this code to redeem the app: V4HFW-FFDHW-3RHCD-P7TPY-FG36Z
In total I have 1203 files that need to be added to my library. Obviously this takes time, so I've waited.
I'm not sure how many files later the file check log went blank as it stopped scanning. Even so, I thought it's worth a try to see how much of the library it managed to scan. Then the app logged me off aniDB and didn't accept any settings changes. So I ended up reinstalling it.
2nd try: It started scanning, but when I noticed that the output log became blank, the app suddenly crashed. Right now I removed a large part of my library from scanning, as the issues might also be due to aniDB being really slow at times.
EDIT: Yeah, it seems that the crashes were due to aniDB being finnicky.
EDIT2: The app won't start anymore, it ends up crashing immediately after launch.
Of note: when checking for similar anime to the one currently viewed I get duplicate results. I'm not sure how to screenshot this for it to be easily viewable.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 07:20:07 pm by Dariusdd »

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2016, 08:43:46 pm »
Wow Dariusdd, rough time for you, sorry to hear that. Can you navigate to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\42985UFSoft.Anibu_kcwtxtj7a0wxc\LocalState, and zip the following files:
Code: [Select]
ANIDB* (everything that starts with ANIDB)
BrowserState
FileHashCache
InvalidThumbnailIndex
UserQueue
WatchedAnime
Chances are, something didn't save out correctly on the second try and now the corrupted state is preventing the app from starting. Once you zip those files, you can delete them and the app should start up again. If you could share the zip file with me somewhere, I'd appreciate it so I can see what's specifically crashing on startup.

Edit: I think I also found the source of the hang when AniDB fails to respond since it seems like AniDB API server is still down.
Edit 2: Also reproduced the duplicate entries in the similar anime section. Should be fixed in next version.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 12:44:44 am by viralreaper »

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2017, 03:30:22 am »
Latest update is live with fixes to issues reported here:
v1.2.2.0:
-Added support for manually recognizing unrecognized files by assigning them specific AniDB file IDs.
-Adding tracking for the last played episode; shown in the anime info page.
-Added file info tooltips to episodes.
-Added grouping by season.
-Improved navigation behavior when using the content nav pane.
-UI refinements with series grouping and nested scrolling.
-Fix incorrect version number display in Settings page.
-Fix a hang when AniDB doesn't respond to queries.
-Fix duplicate similar anime entries.
-Fix anime info not appearing to refresh when force refreshing in the anime info page.
-Made the app more resilient to corrupt saved state.
Thanks for the feedback so far, hope you guys continue enjoying app!

Offline Dariusdd

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2017, 02:15:42 pm »
The program feels a bit more... unstable lately. I've had it crash when adding/removing files to the queue and when adding/removing files from the watched list. I'll have to do more checks related to that when I have more time on my hand.
Also, right now I tried adding episodes that were previously unrecognised (as AniDB didn't have them listed) manually. It ended up like this.
https://puu.sh/td3Vs/8d43ee86c2.png
After checking another file from the folder, it looks normal again.
https://puu.sh/td405/bede003908.png
Is there a way to batch check unrecognised files? EDIT: Found out how (selecting each file I want to get refreshed from the list and then refreshing), but it doesn't always work until the end.
EDIT2: https://puu.sh/td50j/191ebcd688.png It doesn't show H265 (8-bit) file info, which appears to be natively supported in Windows 10 (unlike 10-bit H264). Also, it somehow recognised the show I've manually added earlier as being encoded in 8-bits, where it's actually encoded in 10-bit H264. Are the file details pulled from AniDB (as that h265 file does not have any proper metadata in AniDB)? Even so, how did it correctly generate previews while using the default Windows thumbnailing if it is encoded in 10-bits? I am confused.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:42:21 pm by Dariusdd »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 03:04:31 pm »
Preview images can be made using ffmpeg regardless of bit depth.
I assume that a what it uses?

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 07:31:06 pm »
The program feels a bit more... unstable lately. I've had it crash when adding/removing files to the queue and when adding/removing files from the watched list.
Yea, I'm going on a feature freeze for a while and just focusing on bug fixing as I see crash reports come in on the store dashboard. If you have any reproducible cases, definitely let me know in this thread or PM. I just found another crash yesterday where I managed to exit the app after file hashing had completed, but before the anime library had regenerated so some of the episode loading would fail because they were using old, invalid file indices.
Also, right now I tried adding episodes that were previously unrecognised (as AniDB didn't have them listed) manually. It ended up like this.
https://puu.sh/td3Vs/8d43ee86c2.png
After checking another file from the folder, it looks normal again.
https://puu.sh/td405/bede003908.png
Is there a way to batch check unrecognised files? EDIT: Found out how (selecting each file I want to get refreshed from the list and then refreshing), but it doesn't always work until the end.
I'm not quite sure what happened in your screenshots so if you manage to get it again, definitely let me know. Just be sure you're assigning file IDs to unrecognized files, not episode IDs (the URL should have fid, not eid, in it). If AniDB doesn't have a file entry for your file, you'll need to use something like AOM to add it to AniDB or just assign it a file ID of another group's release. Also, what do you mean that batch check unrecognized files doesn't always work until the end?
It doesn't show H265 (8-bit) file info, which appears to be natively supported in Windows 10 (unlike 10-bit H264). Also, it somehow recognised the show I've manually added earlier as being encoded in 8-bits, where it's actually encoded in 10-bit H264. Are the file details pulled from AniDB (as that h265 file does not have any proper metadata in AniDB)? Even so, how did it correctly generate previews while using the default Windows thumbnailing if it is encoded in 10-bits? I am confused.
All file details are pulled from AniDB entries, not from actual file metadata, so as you noted, if AniDB doesn't have proper metadata for a file, the tooltip won't show anything correct/useful. If a thumbnail preview was correctly generated, are you sure the file is 10-bit H264? I don't ever see thumbnail previews for 10-bit H264 or HEVC/H265 in Windows Explorer.

Offline Dariusdd

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2017, 09:22:05 pm »
Media info output for one of the episodes: https://ctrlv.it/id/13245/412191731 It shows it's a Hi10P encode.
https://puu.sh/tdpeC/549242c9ff.png Screenshot of it in Anibu
https://puu.sh/tdpgB/aea09f78fb.png File previews generated using Icaros in Windows Explorer
I am not sure if this mismatch between AniDB metadata and actual encode makes it use the file previews generated by Icaros.
H265 8 bit encode > it gets its preview generated properly, and once again the metadata from AniDB is missing: https://puu.sh/tdpmC/76539d402a.png
H265 8 bit encode > AniDB has proper metadata added for this release > the broken preview is shown: https://puu.sh/tdpq0/cd288a0a44.png
The only reproductible crash I can get is the one where I add series to my watched list. If it's relevant, I am grouping my library by series, sorting alphabetically, hiding the watched series and having a queue.

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2017, 11:17:01 pm »
Maybe Windows knows to use Icaros to generate thumbnails? I'm not actually sure how shell extensions like that interact with the results returned for thumbnail system calls, but that's the only thing that makes sense here. The app internally skips requesting thumbnails for files AniDB reports as 10-bit because it takes a long time for the thumbnail generation to eventually fail and that didn't feel great, so you're right that the mismatch in metadata is probably why you're seeing thumbnails this time.

I can't reproduce your crash, but I did discover a severe one that happens if you watch an episode of anime, refresh library with new/deleted files, and then try to reopen that anime info page so I'll be pushing an update ASAP. You'll need to delete the "LastPlayed" file in the app cache once you get the update. Does it matter what show you add to the watched list or just any show will do it?

Offline Dariusdd

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 12:05:43 am »
It doesn't seem like it matters what show I add to my watched list to make it crash. Sometimes it crashes, at other times it doesn't.
Actually, it is more often than not crashing while adding files to my watched list.

Offline viralreaper

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2017, 12:11:28 am »
Welp, time for some process-of-elimination: how is the stability if you uncheck "Hide Watched Anime" in the home page and add files to your watched list?