Author Topic: Shaving~~  (Read 778 times)

Offline 1000mAh

• bananas, melonas, tralala, ding ding dong
Shaving~~
« on: December 16, 2016, 07:19:49 am »
So, I was shaving my beard today (after shower as usual) and after I was done with the shaving and was washing my face again, I noted how red my neck and cheeks were. I was also feeling this burning sensation on the said red areas and around them. The water touching these skin areas also stung and the skin was itchy.
I do know this means my skin was irritated.
BUT
What more can I do? I already use shaving foam that is meant for sensitive skin, my razor is for sensitive skin as well. I also apply skin cream afterwards.
This irritation results in me shaving 1-2 times a month and looking like a lumberjack for most of it.

Anyone have any ideas how to make this irritation go away faster? I mean, it lasts for multiple hours after shaving and I can't wear a scarf (because it is cold at times) or jacket/shirts with collar because of this....

Don't EVER touch my snacks!||Discord

Online kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
Re: Shaving~~
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 07:30:07 am »
might not be skin irritation but you shaved too deeply, its like when you scratch your skin repeatedly until its swollen red.

on the other hand, you may be allergic to their "for sensitive skin" formula.
my aunt is like that as well, shes allergic to certain "for sensitive skin" formulas.

Offline 1000mAh

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 07:36:40 am »
^I was considering the shaving too deeply, but this issue was more prevalent in the army when I had to shave daily and the irritation was daily (well, then I only had to shave once for on spot, with this shaving pace I have to go over every spot 2-3 times)
And well, shaving foam does cool off the skin while I am shaving, the real stinging starts afterwards.

Think it could be me not treating my razor well enough? I do use on blade set for about 4-6 shaving times after that it starts pulling my skin...
...also, it is possible my shaving technique is just bad never had anyone to show me how its done, I just picked a razor and foam and was like ''OK, lets do this'' (don't have a dad)
.......but then again, the patients whose beards I have shaven don't seem to have this issue....

Online kitamesume

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 02:51:38 pm »
then its probably allergic reaction, try putting the shaving foam on a part of your skin and leave it to set for a few minutes then rinse it.

Offline 1000mAh

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 08:40:23 pm »
then its probably allergic reaction, try putting the shaving foam on a part of your skin and leave it to set for a few minutes then rinse it.

mhmm, gonna try that.

Offline Evilsbane

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 08:57:15 pm »
grow a beard

Offline 1000mAh

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 09:01:04 pm »
grow a beard

I have a goatee, but neck beard and sideburns don't look good in my opinion, so gotta shave 'em.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 10:15:18 pm »
After showering it's a lot easier to over-shave, and washing your face after can make it worse.
That's what I think anyway. I always shave before showering.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline 1000mAh

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 10:21:52 pm »
^ gonna do that next time then.

Now then, thanks for the tips I've gotten till now :3

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 04:24:26 am »
If a regular aftershave or skin conditioner doesn't help, try a hydrocortisone cream.  You don't want to use that stuff all the time, but every once in a while is fine.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 12:37:42 am »
grow a beard

I have a goatee, but neck beard and sideburns don't look good in my opinion, so gotta shave 'em.
So you're saying I'm ugly?
(」゜ロ゜)」

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 05:12:18 am »
grow a beard

(」゜ロ゜)」

Would you rather be called pretty?
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Online kitamesume

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 07:39:20 am »
(」゜ロ゜)」

why does this sound like an insult...

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 07:57:02 am »
(」゜ロ゜)」

Because I'm male. Men don't look "pretty"

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 10:39:59 am »
What you experienced is called razer burn. Try shaving with the flow of your hair rather than against it. Also, it might be time to change to a new razer blade if you've been using that one for awhile (bacteria can get into micro tears). And if yours isn't one of those 3+ blade ones you might try one instead.

As a guy you could probably get by without shaving with a bladed razer & shaving cream at all. You can probably just use one of those electric shavers...

Oh and don't use an aftershave that has alcohol in it. That will just dry out your face out and make you look old.

Anyways, let's hijack your thread about shaving and just talk about shaving in general!

I do something called sugaring. It's an Ancient Egyptian/Persian/Arabian method of removing hair basically. It's a lot like waxing, but I'd say it's about half as painful, 1/4th as painful if it's not hot (for me, though most people do say it's a lot less painful), and the sugars and stuff in it are actually good for your skin.

Basically, it just grabs onto the hair instead of the skin too... if you use talcum powder or something, that helps with that too. But, because the sugar mixture doesn't stick to your skin, it's a lot less painful in general.

Here's the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugaring_%28epilation%29

There's a couple different methods of it. One's pretty much just like waxing... but tbh I kinda think that method might be improper usage. The way I do it is like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK0TOZoAp-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBCtuQWH-E

By the way, making the sugar wax is a lot more difficult than it sounds from the instructions. Expect to end up with with pots/pans/spoons coated in about a centimeter thick sort of lemony sugary hard candy that is a total bitch to clean out the first couple of times you try to make it.

Also, you guys should try threading instead of tweezing, for eyebrows. Much more accurate and easier, and if you have it done professionally they'll hold the skin tight and it hurts a lot less... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK6Y12IpCpM

edit: I think I should probably expand a bit on what I mentioned earlier...

If you do use an after shave lotion, use one with little or no alcohol because alcohol dries your skin. Especially for your face for guys, it makes you look older. Basically what the after shave is for is to kill any bacteria left by your razor which may be in your skin, and the alcohol does that. But the perfumes and alcohol in them actually irritate and dry out the skin. It's more harm than good I think. So if you're going to use one, get one with little to no alcohol and without perfume.

Some sort of nice moisturizer would probably be better, that's what the skin really needs.

I should give a little warning though for those that don't shave much... Always shave in the direction of hair growth, not against it. Also, don't push down too hard while shaving. Going against the direction of growth and pushing down with a bit of force may give you a closer shave, but you're gonna look goofy when you have razor burn and it's gonna hurt like a bunch of little needles by the next day with little red bumps. Shaving against the growth also gives a pretty good chances of breaking the hair which can cause ingrowns, or get any bacteria from your razor in your skin, which you don't want.

When you take a shower, what you basically want to do is use warm water and exfoliate. The warm water opens your pores. Before you go in you might want to use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, some kind of water activated gel cleanser would be nice, then like a honey almond body scrub and an exfoliating gel scrub for your face. Before you get out, you'll want to use cold water because it closes your pores.

When you get out you could do like a herb-mint facial mask, and leave it on for like 10 minutes while you eat or do some other part of your routine. You could use an ice pack for a couple minutes after you wake up if your eyes feel a bit puffy. One of those that are made to wear like a sleeping mask, with holes cut for the eyes.

Anyways, moisturizers after all that, any anti-aging eye balms or whatever you want, then do the final moisturizing protective lotion.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I'll say also, it's important you carefully choose what products you use. Be a label reader! Body washes for example, most of them mess up your skin's natural pH, among other things. The best real mainstream cheap one you can get would be Dove Unscented. You don't want to use Ivory, or really anything that says like "triple the clean!" or some kind of harsh soaps. They're really bad for your skin. Personally, I use more expensive all natural ones...

Also, a side note... avoid lip balms or chap sticks with petrolatum in them. It may be spelled a bit differently, but you'll know it when you see it. It's petroleum, and petroleum is a carcinogenic. They actually dry your lips out more than they help them anyways. So, you want one without that. What I use is Desert Essence Lip Rescue. It's pretty hard to find in stores, but you could use something like Burt's Bees I guess, if you don't want to order online or can't find it. The one I use feels better and smells better to me than that one.

edit: Just another little tip, you always, always want to use a shaving gel. Something between you and the blade is good.  I know it seems easy enough to just shave dry or with a little bit of water, but the gel really helps prevent razor burn. Some brands are better than others.

I say the same about razors too. I always use ones with 3 blades, never those cheap little throwaway ones. I get much better results and zero nicks or cuts. Gillette Venus is a good one, but you could also use the guy ones, Gillette Mach 3 or whatever, it doesn't really matter to be honest. The guy ones have smaller heads, so they're actually easier to maneuver (they're also obscenely cheaper).

I've tried Gillette Satin Care Sensitive Skin and Gillette Shaving Gel with Soothing Aloe Sensitive Skin. Supposedly like it makes a difference what gender it's made for... you know, a leg's a leg. That's just a bunch of marketing nonsense. They both work pretty well. I've tried a couple other brands, and they were really bad. Use whatever works best for you though. That's just what I use, in case you wanted some recommendations.

Also, disinfect your razors with alcohol, that can help.

As for sugaring, apply the wax against the growth, press it down and let it dry just a little. Only a couple seconds is fine. Then pull with your hair growth. If you don't, you can end up breaking the hairs sometimes, which causes ingrowns.

One more tip.... your instict is going to be to pull up... Don't. You want to pull horizontal with your leg, like pull along your leg. Don't pull straight up.

Also, with your free hand... try to hold your skin around the area you're waxing tight. That'll help cut down on any pain.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 10:52:22 am by Tiffanys »

Offline Xiong Chiamiov

• I'm gonna tolerate and love the SHIT out of you!
    • changedmy.name
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 04:37:08 am »
So, how has your shaving gone the past few months?

I know a few people who swear by safety razors and say it makes all the difference for them.
Projects of interest: nagi | sheska | bdg
Posts made between 2009-05-09 and 2011-08-26 were in the capacity of staff.  Please read accordingly.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 04:51:09 am »
I've been using these for the last couple of months:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorco-Plus-Blade-System-Trimmer/dp/B008O82O7C/ref=lp_11351293011_1_1_a_it?srs=11351293011&ie=UTF8&qid=1487476129&sr=8-1&th=1

These days, I go for the scrubby one-day facial hair growth look, so I generally only shave my neck.  It's extremely difficult for me to get a perfectly smooth feel on my neck, but I do like these razors.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Online DespondenSea

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 12:52:26 pm »
(」゜ロ゜)」

Because I'm male. Men don't look "pretty"

You're looking at the wrong men, then.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 08:48:36 pm »
Honestly, shaving for me is just having a razor go over my skin. I never bothered with either gels or creams or anything of the sort, just water is good enough for me.

Offline 1000mAh

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 02:55:38 pm »
So, how has your shaving gone the past few months?

I know a few people who swear by safety razors and say it makes all the difference for them.

well, shaving before shower has lessened the irritation, that it isn't as bad as it was.

Honestly, shaving for me is just having a razor go over my skin. I never bothered with either gels or creams or anything of the sort, just water is good enough for me.

lucky you, my beard is coarse enough that if not using a shaving foam or gel the razor doesn't really cut it or then it pulls like crazy.