Author Topic: Latest version of a client not whitelisted?  (Read 525 times)

Offline Seyfert

Latest version of a client not whitelisted?
« on: December 25, 2016, 04:47:14 pm »
I got the latest uTorrent... from the looks of it only 2.* is whitelisted... do I seriously need to downgrade for this one site?

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
Re: Latest version of a client not whitelisted?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 04:50:17 pm »
Either downgrade or use one of our other whitelsited clients (e.g. vuze, deluge, qbittorrent, tixati).

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 10:53:28 pm »
I got the latest uTorrent... from the looks of it only 2.* is whitelisted... do I seriously need to downgrade for this one site?
Yes. The latest version of whitelisted uTorrent is 3.3.1

Offline Seyfert

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 03:10:33 pm »
I mean q... single letter difference...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:17:25 pm by Seyfert »

Online lololitas

• Staff
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 06:45:45 pm »
qbittorrent is whitelisted up to 3.3.7 . The wiki was outdated and only listed 2.x versions, now it's up to date.

Mind you there was a note with giant letters telling you where you should look for an up-to-date whitelisted client list...

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 11:06:40 pm »
uTorrent doesn't sound like qBittorent.

Check the Whitelist. See this thread for getting older versions.

Offline Seyfert

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 03:25:19 pm »
Are individual decimals really that important? Someone really goes through the individual features of individual decimals to see if anything is 'evil'? I would have thought only individual clients are looked at, not decimals of clients... and apparently mine wasn't even updated, but happened to have a decimal that somehow falls into limbo (3.2)... but now the latest on their page is 3.3.10 and apparently that isn't whitelisted either? I'm not complaining too much, am I?  :sleep: It's just that I switched from u to download from here, but now I need to go with a specific decimal and never update it again? And updates are usually done automatically for convenience too...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:38:02 pm by Seyfert »

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 10:57:49 pm »
Some updates aren't convenient like Windows 10. Same thing goes with other software.

Newer doesn't necessarily means better.

Besides, using uTorrent, you never have to update again because newer versions of it won't get whitelisted anyway.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 11:24:16 pm »
Imagine this scenario:
I make a popular program called "anime 4 u v1.0"
It becomes trusted, eventually gaining millions of users. I release a new version, 1.01, which has minor changes. I didn't tell anybody I added a phishing program.
.... Yes, decimals matter.

I know this is an extreme example, but there are various reasons things need whitelisting.
As to utorrent, the one listed on the whitelist is the best you can do. For various reasons, no new versions will ever be accepted in the foreseeable future.

Offline Seyfert

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 01:51:58 pm »
This site isn't looking for malware, though, it just likes there to be a million seeders even when no downloaders. A fixation on the uselessness and impossibility of seeding, all the while unpatched security *might* get a computer compromised, so sure, versions of software matter, but no other site has such an absolutely needless fixation.

Online lololitas

• Staff
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 02:07:51 pm »
Client whitelists (yes, WITH the x.y.z decimals) are not that uncommon, it's just ours that is a little more restrictive, so people move out of the whitelist more often and thus notice it. Some clients work reliably with autoupdates, e.g. Vuze (seing as the entire version 5 is whitelisted), Deluge should be fine too.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 09:16:57 pm »
    This site isn't looking for malware, though, it just likes there to be a million seeders even when no downloaders. A fixation on the uselessness and impossibility of seeding, all the while unpatched security *might* get a computer compromised, so sure, versions of software matter, but no other site has such an absolutely needless fixation.
    Oh, for fuck's sake.

In order:
    • Of course a BitTorrent archive site "likes there to be a million seeders".  Where the hell do you think the content you download comes from?
    • Seeding on BakaBT is neither useless nor impossible.  I got to my current ratio of 3.564 (U: 8930 GB, D: 2506 GB) was achieved merely by seeding as much as possible, as long as possible (except for maybe 70-80 GB from bonus points).  I never once donated to the site, ran a seedbox, or even prioritized Freelech or more heavily-leeched content; rather, I just download what I want.
    • Your ignorance of the reasons specific software versions are not accepted does not mean those reasons don't exist.
    • Updates to software are not necessarily [improvements.  uTorrent 2.2.1 -> uTorrent 3.0 is a perfect example of this.
    Perhaps you should reflect on the fact that you didn't know the difference between uTorrent and qBitTorrent, before pontificating on the necessity of the client whitelist/blacklist?
    « Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:21:46 pm by Bozobub »