Author Topic: Email deliverability problems - and the solution  (Read 179 times)

Offline aeraes

Email deliverability problems - and the solution
« on: December 29, 2016, 05:25:42 am »
Hello and merry christmas,

I just registered my account and also had problems receiving the register email. But I also do know why that is.

There is no rDNS record set for your email server and most email hosts (including my own server) will discard any emails that arrive from hosts without any rDNS set. (its a sign of spam hosts/bot hosts)

So my suggestion/feedback would be to set the rDNS of the mail server to bakabt.me, just as the sender-email is.

Have a nice few last days of 2016!

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
Re: Email deliverability problems - and the solution
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 11:35:14 am »
We're aware of the issue, though it doesn't seem as easy to resolve as outlined here. That said, I hardly know anything about stuff like that

For the time being gmail and ymail still work (I mean, who doesn't trust yahoo at this point). Till now we've noticed problems with all microsoft operated hosts (including private ones via microsoft or something like that), gmx and as you said, private servers.

Offline aeraes

Re: Email deliverability problems - and the solution
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 08:08:29 pm »
Ive whitelisted bakabt.me from my host for now, but as said, simply adding an rDNS record should solve it for more hosts.
Contacting your ISP if their control panel doesnt allow for automatically setting it should resolve that problem.

It might not solve it entirely (for that ip reputation etc also plays into it, especially since your mail server IP is listed in the MIPSpace-poor list, but I found that list to be garbage, that blocks AWS ips and the likes, so I dont use it), but not setting an rDNS record is absolutely one of the biggest problems you will have with email deliverability.

I decided to find out a bit more for you. The problems with the register email are the following:

- no rDNS set (reason why the email failed my spam filter)
- SPF: HELO does not match SPF record (softfail)
- SPF: sender does not match SPF record (softfail)
- current SPF record is: "v=spf1 mx a ptr ~all" which should be changed to include your ip adresses you sent mail from.
- additionally, there is currently no DKIM set

Those are the major problems with the email.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:11:54 pm by aeraes »