Author Topic: Fables of the Green Forest [South Wind Subs] - Eligible for BakaBT?  (Read 277 times)

Offline VicViper573

https://southwindsubs.wordpress.com/2016/12/24/fables-of-the-green-forest-01-52-complete-engronl/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fables_of_the_Green_Forest

nyaa 884428

Quote from: South Wind Subs
Today we present our first release: ‘Fables of the Green Forest’! It contains all 52 episodes, based on the books by 20th century author and nature conservationist Thornton W. Burgess. With audio English (44) and Spanish ( 8 ) & subs in English, Romanian and Dutch!
This animé series holds a very special place in our heart, and was the reason for us (Kai & Peter) to start our fansub group South Wind Subs. Far apart, we both grew up in small rural villages. We always think back with nostalgic feelings on these carefree times, and the wonderful programs we saw on TV. Broadcast times were limited and our receivers black-and-white but the magic was there, that was all that mattered!
End 1970s/Begin 80s, we would run home after school to be on time to watch ‘Fables of the Green Forest’, which made a lasting impression on us, and became an inseparable part of our childhoods. The stories about Johnny Chuck and the animals of the Green Forest sparked our love for the wonder of nature, a love which endures till this day! The episodes also taught us about right and wrong, and the importance of being kind and living in harmony with one another. And the series had fun characters too, like nosy Sammy Blue Jay and silly but scary Reddy the Fox.
Sadly, there never were dvd releases. Not yet knowing each other then, we both felt people should be able to see this long-lost treasure anew. In 2012, Kai found some Canadian English episodes and started making on his own subs from scratch. Peter acquired 44 eps. in higher quality and shared these on his fan site. Kai found Peter’s site, and collaboration began. Later, the 8 missing episodes were added by inserting a Spanish version. Many thanks to Cyber Zero, Mónica and Lordwen who translated Spanish for us! And to Silver Zero Subs for becoming our partner and helping us promote the result!

Would this be eligible for BakaBT, despite the fact that it appears to not have Japanese audio?  Can I assume that the answer is no?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:46:15 am by macros74 »

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
Re: Fables of the Green Forest [South Wind Subs] - Eligible for BakaBT?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 03:16:17 am »
Don't assume anything. It is anime. We'll discuss this and see whether we'll take it or not.

Offline macros74

• Staff
  • Swear it! No more School Days!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 10:30:42 am »
I personally would be agreeable to accept this here as is.
The Spanish dubbed eps aren't something that we would normally accept, but in this case there really is no other option at this time.
It's rare enough, so an exception could be made.

EDIT:
Huh, it seems about US$ 300 will buy you the entire Digitally Remastered DVD Box Set from 2011.

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 12:33:58 pm »
That's pretty much my take on this as well. Unless macros wants to do his own encode

Offline Morellet

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 08:16:01 pm »
The release in question has English audio too, so I think it fits within our current guidelines anyways (as opposed to requiring a special exception). There don't seem to be any releases currently available with Japanese audio, so accepting an EngDub release sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Offline macros74

• Staff
  • Swear it! No more School Days!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:27:55 pm »
Point was, Morellet, that 8 of the 52 eps only have a Spanish audio track, though English subtitled.

Offline Morellet

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:46:10 pm »
Point was, Morellet, that 8 of the 52 eps only have a Spanish audio track, though English subtitled.
Ohhh, my bad. I didn't realize this and somehow thought the whole thing was both English- *and* Spanish-dubbed. The quoted release post is not phrased that clearly though, in my defense. :P