Author Topic: Term Limits Amendment.... from Cruz  (Read 305 times)

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
Term Limits Amendment.... from Cruz
« on: January 05, 2017, 06:21:26 pm »
Sen. Ted Cruz and Rep. Ron DeSantis have proposed a Constitutional amendment bill to Congress, to finally do something that the voters have been asking to be done for years: Congressional Term Limits. This is currently one of the trending topics on Facebook, and it shocked me completely. As a 19 yo citizen of the US, this is completely game-changing and, if it goes through, will vastly affect the country that my generation will inherit. Cruz and DeSantis posted about their actions on Facebook too, saying things like "We must deliver" and "We listened". Just wow, guys. Downvote this all you want, but at least appreciate the progress that this represents, even if the bill doesn't pass; it's the first even attempt at Congressional term limits.

https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=2940
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/312571-cruz-desantis-push-for-congressional-term-limits
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/01/04/ted-cruz-and-ron-desantis-officially-propose-term-limits-amendment/
source: http://imgur.com/gallery/FOHxd

Offline Tanis

Re: Term Limits Amendment.... from Cruz
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 06:30:24 pm »
Is this a sign of the End Times?

Trump has had like, two, good points this week and even Ted fucking Cruz has made some sense.

It's kind of weird.

Offline Shiakou

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 07:18:52 pm »
Is this a sign of the End Times?

Trump has had like, two, good points this week and even Ted fucking Cruz has made some sense.

It's kind of weird.

Even Hitler did some good stuff.

And I'm personally of the opinion that Benedict Arnold was a decent chap who got screwed by superiors and by history.

Which mean that, no, it is not at all surprising that two of the most successful men in the world might have a couple of decent ideas in their heads. It would be more surprising if they didn't.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 02:33:15 pm »
So I was looking for some news articles about how likely it would be that term limits would pass, and instead I found some dissenting opinions about why term limits wouldn't necessarily be a good thing:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2017/0105/Term-limits-for-Congress-Would-amending-the-Constitution-drain-the-swamp
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/01/04/how-term-limits-for-committee-chairs-make-congress-less-effective/

I think modest limits would probably be beneficial, but not shorter ones.  I think we have to balance the need for experienced leaders against the need to keep those politicians from becoming too entrenched.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline JoonasTo

• Upholding traditional values
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:08:04 pm »
There's definitely something to be said for changing things too often. If you bring a new person into a group, you're going to affect the efficiency of the whole group. To be an effective member of the group and to actually gain a positive effect from the change will take time. If I recall correctly, it takes a minimum of two years to achieve maximum efficiency after a change(don't quote me on that, it's been a while.)

So let's say you change every six years, instead of eight. You're going to end up having a third more efficiency loss over the long run. In years, that would be eight years versus six over a twenty-four year period. During this time, the group will work of course, but there will be less results. So you really want to avoid upsetting the group too often.

This just from a managerial point of view. There's a lot more to be said about the political side but that's such a rotten apple I don't really want to get into it properly but a few points:
1. Somebody put them there in the first place.
2. Somebody put them back there.
3. You really don't want to have people with contradicting goals alternating too often or nothing will ever get done.
4. Usually a bad decision is better than no decision at all.

Because we can!

Offline Tanis

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 08:05:06 pm »
I think members of congress need term time increases OR a mandatory cutoff date for campaigning.

Plus, no more of this 'work' for 6 months out of the year shit.

Offline Shiakou

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:25:39 am »
I wonder why no American I've ever talked to on the Net has turned out to be a politician. Plenty of ordinary dudes, some lawyers and doctors and all that, but never a single politician.

Not one.

Perhaps that's why none of them seem to be listening to our whining.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 06:40:40 am »
I doubt a politician would admit their identity online. Anything you say could easily be used against you by a political adversary if someone could make the connections.

For all we know a regular poster here could be a politician that just has no intention of revealing their identity for their privacy, and political protection.

Offline Fool010

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 09:36:27 am »
You'd get yourself eaten alive if you were to out yourself as a politician anywhere else than on political platforms. That's pretty much like willingly submit yourself to torture.
Who needs a signature anyway ?

MAL               last.fm

Offline Shiakou

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 10:47:54 am »
That's kinda depressing.

It's one thing thinking that most politicians are sneaky, manipulative, and underhanded, it's another to realize that the public itself would crucify you if you were to be too honest or straightforward. It's like we're telling them that they have to be bastards to get anywhere.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 12:12:44 pm »
I think the closest we've gotten here is a couple of people who have local politicians in their immediate family.  IIRC, it was Jaybug, and a few years earlier, Vicious.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 03:56:22 pm »
My sister's father in law worked as an adviser for one of NDP's leaders until last election. The father in law in question is kind of a moonbait though. He was the director of an antinuclear lobby for years and he made a carreer selling natural remedies. I see him every time I visit my sister since they live in a multigenerational house.
Altmed is altfact!