Author Topic: Yōjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil [Studio NUT]  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Ookami

Yōjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil [Studio NUT]
« on: January 13, 2017, 03:00:32 pm »
Yōjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil
Release: 2017-01-06
Description: Tanya Degurechov used to be one of Japan's elite office workers, but because of a wrathful god, was reborn as a little girl. She has blonde hair, blue eyes, and nearly transparent white skin, and she flies through the air and mercilessly strikes down her opponents. She speaks with a young girl's lisp and commands the army. Tanya prioritizes optimization and career advancement above all, and she will become the most dangerous entity among the Imperial Army's sorcerers.

If you're wondering who is studio NUT they are ex-Madhouse staff. Takuya Tsunoki, the producer of Madhouse’s latest original anime (Death Parade – Winter 2015), has left and founded studio NUT.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
Re: Yōjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil [Studio NUT]
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 12:06:34 am »
I am not exaggerating at all, when I say this is the most directly satisfying "magical girl" anime I have ever seen.  Possibly not the best, there are many contenders for that title, but Tanya is just bad-ASS!  I've watched both of the initial 2 episodes twice over, each time.

It also pleases me greatly how many fiddly details about combat (the artillery, in episode 2, for example) they get exactly right.  And the explosions kinda look like actual explosions  of various ordnance I have seen.

Offline Tanis

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:16:17 am »
That picture reminds me of Ducktales too much.
D:

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 10:15:13 am »
That picture reminds me of Ducktales too much.
D:

its the lens distortion, too much barrel distortion on the image.

this one is a different, but similar shot.

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 10:44:40 am »
Get used to those, we'll be seeing them sometimes :)

Offline BronBron06

• Rageball Loli
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 11:40:51 am »
This is surprisingly my AotS

Offline Ozzaharwood

• ζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘ
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 03:21:29 pm »
Yeah I didn't really like the first episode and was considering dropping it, I'm glad that I didn't. Really good start.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 05:39:55 am »
This is surprisingly my AotS
I agree, although I'm not surprised at all; the name alone is fucking epic 8)!

Offline JoonasTo

• Upholding traditional values
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 05:52:00 am »
I was bored so I picked this up.
It's not really that good, and there's tons of problems with it, but the premise of central european superpower of epic proportions, with both world wars combined, is interesting enough to keep me watching.

So pissed that they decided to go full retard on the animation though. The manga has great character design(also way more character depth, especially for her second) and then we get this shit that looks like a 2 year old was given her/his first crayons.

PS. I really wish someone would make HoI mod from this.

Because we can!

Offline Tanis

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 07:31:45 am »
So I read the manga first and...

I don't see how the MC is 'evil'.
A total asshole, but not full on EVIL.

It feels more like 'Office Space: The Rule 63 World Wars Edition'.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 08:25:28 am »
If you've played AD&D, especially 2nd Edition, Tanya is just about textbook Lawful Evil :P .  S/he's also quite bugnuts insane, which s/he DOES inform us of in the 1st episode, ya know.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 09:07:49 am »
Tanya is a girl, her previous self was a guy, stop confusing.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 12:28:03 pm »
No one is "confusing"; Tanya's mentality is mostly that of her former self, that simple (including the sociopathy, of course).  Have YOU ever seen Tanya act like a girl?

Offline blackhole

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 02:11:18 pm »
She refers to herself as a little girl, her physical form is of no consequence, she is a socially disturbed loli plotting evil things to punish "god".

Nothing can possibly go wrong here.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 04:30:33 am »
So I had started this (along with a couple other ones) yesterday, and it's pretty clear MC still identifies as a male.

Overall I like this, aside from the lips.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline blackhole

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 03:05:10 pm »
Guys, I have no idea what about the MC is evil, Tanya follows simple logic at wartime.
I can be called just as evil then. Her methods aren't even that cruel, she did everything to make people not follow her.
That "Kid Prank" was pure gold though :)

Offline JoonasTo

• Upholding traditional values
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 04:32:32 pm »
Of course she isn't evil. She takes very good care of her subordinates. This is one of the biggest problems of the show, her character is not constant. They try portray her as smart, yet she's completely oblivious to very basic human interaction models. They try to portray her as cruel, yet she's very caring about her subordinates. She's supposed to want a relaxed spot at the back, yet she does everything that leads to the exact opposite. If we assume her inner voice is telling us the truth, that is.

The only way this actually works, is if she's an unreliable narrator. More specifically, she's a person who keeps lying to "herself"(us, the watchers) all the time.

If we ignore her own (unreliable) voice, this is how it looks:
She's brave so she does everything she can to gain glory on the battlefield.
She's ambitious so she does everything she can to advance in rank as fast as possible.
She's smart so she does everything she can to take care of her troops and inspire loyalty.

And suddenly, her character is completely consistent.
It's still probably more likely that the writers are just idiots but hey, benefit of doubt? ;D

Because we can!

Offline blackhole

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 05:43:49 pm »
Uhm, not exactly, so far she got killed a few of her subordinates, but she respects the smart ones.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 09:06:42 pm »
Of course she isn't evil. She takes very good care of her subordinates.
Absolutely false.  For one, as noted above, she freely makes sure they die, if they disappoint her enough.  Second, ANY truly competent administrator (sociopath or no) will treat their staff quite well, as long as they follow the rules of both the organization and her own "special set".

As I said above, Tanya is a nearly-perfect example of "Lawful Evil" from AD&D, while you are thinking more of "Neutral Evil", or even "Chaotic Evil".  Remember, just because you're evil does NOT mean:
- You can't have (and even be loyal to) friends.
- You don't keep your word.  Few are going to be willing to deal with you, if you have a reputation as a betrayer.
- You are stupid (murdering your staff is NOT the way to get superior performance).
- You break the law.  In fact, EXTREME over-adherence to the law can be amazingly evil; remember the Nuremburg trials, where the Nazis tried to claim they did everything due to orders, so it wasn't their fault?  There ya go.
- And so on.

In fact, sociopaths IRL often end up in similar situations to Tanya; a hugely disproportionate percentage of politicians, CEOs, middle managers, and cops are sociopaths, where they can indulge their "itch" in a manner at least mostly endorsed by society.

Offline Tanis

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 11:28:28 pm »
"​The wages of sin are death but so is the salary of virtue, and at least the evil get to go home early on Fridays."

XD