Author Topic: Yōjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil [Studio NUT]  (Read 1489 times)

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
Re: Yōjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil [Studio NUT]
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 04:55:20 am »
MC is evil in the sense of acting in ways which can be described as the opposite of virtuous, not necessarily by not being virtuous.
For instance, joining the military on the fact that it offers the best chances for survival, rather than the idea of protecting the country.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 05:00:10 am by megido-rev.M »
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 05:00:33 am »
Mainly Tanya is evil, because she is completely self-serving and viciously amoral.  Literally every action is minutely examined for HER best advantage, and that alone.  Thing is, much of the time, this ends up benefiting others.

The only exceptions to this are when she "snaps".
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 05:04:47 am by Bozobub »

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 05:02:44 am »
Thing is, much of the time, this ends up benefiting others.

Because God over there is being a bitch about MC not having faith. It's hilarious.

Offline punyloony

• I have Dysgraphia dont be grammer nazi's
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2017, 02:35:05 am »
her Ideology isnt evil in every respect. her lack of faith isnt evil. but her belittling people and undermining them is. she only cares about herself and wouldnt do a thing for them without benifit. I find her attitude is funny when it backfires and she gets into greater trouble with ADVANCEING with her role as a perfect solder cus playing the best makes her more likely to be needed as the best. The one thing going for her when she gets into the mess she creates is she isnt all show for her ability but is rather compitant for her role. the best part of this searise is the action and the comidy of her getting into messes you can see her find her way into greater and greater responsibility as the front line solder instead of the behind the line commander or genral. this happens to make it interesting. I just hope whenever I see that belittleing attidtude and think what a wonderfull end to this searise if she actually has a chainge of heart and grows to believe in god and find that others are not just objects to toy with and think about what they feel and actually earn the place of respect that she has obtained. to put is short the great journey of story telling Im hoping for is a jorney into her heart

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 11:13:25 am »
I feel bad if you are english native, you just raped it there several times.
Other than that, I agree.

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2017, 02:13:17 am »
Interestingly enough, while I like the manga so far (just started) quite a bit, I actually prefer the anime.  The animated version gives more details AND "Existence/Being X" is far, far more disturbing (and fitting, imo).  I also find the seyuu for Tanya to be spot-on, as well.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:03:38 am by Bozobub »

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2017, 02:45:40 am »
I saw Glass Reflection's review of this show and the train part made me laugh.  I'll have to wait to watch this one as my laptop is down and my only internet access is this phone.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline JoonasTo

• Upholding traditional values
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 03:16:04 am »
Hey, hey, hey, let's not get sacrilegious here. She believes in this "god" alright, she just chooses to call him Being X.

But we all know that ain't the Abrahamic god. Especially if you've read the manga  ;D

As to the evil discussion, this just shows how different views people have of what's evil. There is absolutely nothing evil, nor wrong with doing something like this:
MC is evil in the sense of acting in ways which can be described as the opposite of virtuous, not necessarily by not being virtuous.
For instance, joining the military on the fact that it offers the best chances for survival, rather than the idea of protecting the country.
This is just common sense.

Instead, I might argue that joining the military to protect "the country" is evil. You're joining to kill people because you think they're wrong? What good is there in that? If you just said nope, I don't want to fight you can rule over us there'd be less killing and death, plus you won't kill any yourself(or be accomplish to said killing,) so isn't that the good choice to make?

At least in generally accepted morality, killing for survival is more agreeable than disagreement.

Or if you make a good act because it benefits you and it just "happens" to be beneficial to others. It's a good act damn it, no matter the reason. Otherwise no act is a good act. If you act because you wish to help someone, you're doing it so you can feel better(or less shit) about yourself later. This is doing it for yourself and being self-serving.

If you intended to kill everyone but accidentally saved them all, then we can talk  ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:20:33 am by JoonasTo »

Because we can!

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2017, 04:52:53 am »
Some of the points there don't quite add up (at least to me as I don't think in terms of morality), but sure, I'd buy that.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2017, 11:20:40 am »
What I would find evil is what Tanya is doing right now in peacetime instead of it being wartime.
Her every action is excused due to it being wartime, she's expected to do even worse things.

Considering teh fact that it's just the beginning of the world war, there's likely still a lot that will happen that will look evil, but in all honesty, this is wartime, and all actions, especially from the nazi-like country, are simply excused.

Many things done during wartime would be considered acts of pure evil during time of peace. Simply killing a person, even a soldier, during time of peace would be a crime with a death penalty in the 1940, if it wasn't wartime. During wartime many things are just expected to happen.

There is also nothing wrong with seeking military career for gain or survival. It's a normal practice due to it being a stable job, so long as you don't do something really bad won't lose the job and it pays fairly well, so you can't say it's an evil thing to look to the military for a job, a statement liek that is hilariously stupid to teh extent I would stand up in front of you and start slapping you until your cheek is bleeding if you told me that to my face with a serious look.

None of her actions have been evil so far. On the contrary to the BeingX who just prove that it's evil.

Offline JoonasTo

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2017, 12:52:26 pm »
Ah, this isn't 1940s, this is 1920s and the empire is actually modeled after the German empire. If you look at the map, it's clearly a unification of the German Empire and the Habsburg Empire under Prussia(because Berlin is capitol, not Vienna.), There's nothing nazi about it(yet, anyway.) In fact, she mentions that it's a meritocracy with decent women's rights. This would make it a highly advanced country in terms of personal liberty. Much more so than 20th century Britain, France, USA or most of the world's countries even today.

So calling it nazi-like, seems like a very weird thing to do, where do you draw the parallels?

Because we can!

Offline blackhole

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2017, 01:28:05 pm »
I just used that as an example since we know this is shortly before the first world war, practically very short after what happened in our timeline after the assassination of the prince iirc.
I used nazi-like as an example of how far soldiers are allowed to go to achieve victory, as we seen Tanya using a very sly move when counter-attacking the denisomething country, she clearly followed procedure yet in a manner that still gave them an overwhelming advantage.

Generally I think the title is not a misleading one, I get the feeling this is actually following a chronicle of one of her subordinates and being told after the wartime, keep in mind that as I said, during wartime many actions are not crimes, but they are being seen differently after the war, if she was standing trial after the war, all her actions will be viewed as mostly evil, since it's the Empire that invades, they will be always seen as evil, despite the fact that as soldiers, most people don't have or understand their available choices.

In most countries a soldier is allowed to disobey an order he or she believes is against law or will directly and negatively influence the reputation of a soldier, his direct superior or will endanger the citizens they are sworn to protect. Normally soldiers don't even know they have this choice as during time of war they are not even thought this. But even so, disobeying an order, even for a logical reason mentioned above, their career would likely end there and then, and during wartime, they usually get shot. Often enough the Nazi soldiers put on trial explained that they merely followed orders, which was rebuked with "You could always disobey the order, or refuse to follow it" which is true, but then they would face court martial and execution, so concept of Tanya being evil is not exactly sure at this point.

From the title of the episode we can clearly see the beginning of madness, but that too doesn't even show anything in this story. So far, Tanya did absolutely nothing that I would personally consider purely evil, but that's just my perspective. The other point to this title would be that she was given this name (The Evil) because she obviously doesn't show mercy even towards the people she is surrounded with, on the other hand she shows clear respect towards people that do earn it with their actions or intelligence, she also shows respect towards higher ranked officers
Simply because if she didn't she would end up in trouble. So her nickname is well earned if she will get this nickname that is, because she is cunning and dangerous, simply because she doesn't even do what she knows she is incapable of, aside from testing the prototype, into which she was forced to do.

Offline JoonasTo

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2017, 09:07:47 pm »
Eh. That was still a military target and they didn't even do collateral damage(initially anyway, fire and smoke probably caused some though.) This is absolutely nothing. At most, it's a bit rude.  :D

The empire isn't invading btw, it's getting invaded. The North Entente troops just walked over their borders(no matter how disputed those were, that's still an invasion.) Then the French Federation joined in, both materially aiding the Entente and attacking(again, invading the Empire's territory) the Empire to keep the Entente from falling. Then Dakia, wanting to take advantage of the situation and probably just occupy some more land to demand concessions out of the Empire, thinking they didn't have the power to spare down south, walked troops over their borders and invaded them from the south-east. And now United Kingdom is supporting Entente with materials and studying the Empire.

Quick math puts us at three invasions against the Empire. Zero invasions by the empire(in the timespan of this series anyway.

Yes the title would match that as it translates into War story or something but with so much inner dialogue and personal scenes with the Asshole X included, it doesn't really seem to work that way. (Auto)biography maybe?

Yeah, when anyone says you could have just disobeyed the order, you know they're just spewing bullshit. I can't speak for all militaries but generally, if you're ordered to do something you shouldn't due to international law or morals or something, you need to express your disagreement to the order, ask for it in writing and execute it.
So if your superior gives you and order to execute all your prisoners, for example, which is against the Geneva conventions, you tell them it's wrong to do so and you disagree, then you ask that he writes it down and signs it, then you execute all the prisoners. Later if it goes to court you're supposed to present the written order and testify that you were ordered to do so. After that point, the blame lies with your superior, not you.

If you were to simply refuse to execute the order, you are to be trialed in court martial for disobeying orders. Which in wartime, as you noted, generally means to get shot for desertion.

Of course none of this matters after the war if your side lost it since the enemy is going to execute everyone it bloody well wants to anyway, regardless of all the evidence and the fact that they know this just as well. The reason for this is that the people back at home(unlike most people actually fighting the war), don't regard the other side as people. They regard them as non-humans that they want to see bleed and die for revenge. It's very easy to de-humanise people you've never met.

The point about it being just a calling name for her is probably the best notion brought up in this thread yet. I hadn't even thought of that and looking at the comments, so had no one else. This would make a lot of sense.

Because we can!

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2017, 02:14:39 am »
Dear Lord, I love this series, in both anime and manga forms (which, btw, are quite different in several ways).

The animators got the sheer evil of Tanya spot-on, imo :P .  She's quite believable as a sort of "Waffen SS and tactical thermonuclear weapon" hybrid monster; the most recent episode hammers her real personality home to several people.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 02:56:42 am »
I wouldn't call the empire nazi like.

From what was displayed in the show, the empire is practically portrayed as a near ideal country to near Mary Sue proportions that can't do no wrong.

The only thing in common seems to be the iron cross.

Offline vuzedome

• Reppuzan~!
  • Awards Winner of the BakaBT Mahjong tournament 2010
    • GoGreenToday
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 02:38:46 pm »
Can't really call it Nazi, more like the WW1 Germany and Austria-Hungary.
BBT Ika Musume Fan Club Member #000044   
Misaka Mikoto Fan Club Member #000044
BBT Duke Nukem Fan Club Member #0000002

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 05:08:39 pm »
That's not what I said.  TANYA, however, is perfect Waffen SS material.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 06:09:09 pm »
I liked this episode, it showed exactly who isn't fit for being a soldier during wartime.

Offline JoonasTo

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 07:52:30 pm »
Having no knowledge of what it actually says on the leaflet is actually a pretty big information problem here.

If it says, "evacuate the city, there will be combat in the area" that's a bit different than "Evacuate, we will obliterate the city".

I don't get why they're making such a huge thing out of fighting in towns though. It's obvious that the city in question has been a battlefield before so this can't be the first time.  :unsure:

Because we can!

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2017, 07:54:43 pm »
Having no knowledge of what it actually says on the leaflet is actually a pretty big information problem here.

If it says, "evacuate the city, there will be combat in the area" that's a bit different than "Evacuate, we will obliterate the city".

I don't get why they're making such a huge thing out of fighting in towns though. It's obvious that the city in question has been a battlefield before so this can't be the first time.  :unsure:

Well, that's their world learning what the term "total war" means.

That's not what I said.  TANYA, however, is perfect Waffen SS material.

I'd say she's perfect any army material.