Author Topic: General Trump Thread  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
Re: General Trump Thread
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 06:01:15 am »
Mexico responds in kind:

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/trump-fallout-boycott-american-brands/

meh... just a few Mexicans suggesting boycotting massive companies in their country. That's nothing.

This is interesting however: https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/5qrh93/megathread_federal_court_overturns_president/

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 06:58:10 am »
It'll have as much impact as me boycotting the internet; nothing is gonna come from it. I'm just depraving myself of something, and by doing so it doesn't affect anybody else in the slightest.

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 07:24:59 am »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-signs-order-to-revamp-national-security-council-1485641329?mod=e2fb

The Wall Street Journal reports that Trump added noted white supremacist Steve Bannon to the National Security Council and removed the director of National Intelligence and the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff.

At this point, I really don't think a military coup is the worst outcome.

Offline Reape

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 02:23:37 pm »
Does this mean I can finally make direct comparisons between Bannon and Goebbels? Sweet.
Nordic cultural imperialist.

Offline AceHigh

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 05:46:44 pm »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-signs-order-to-revamp-national-security-council-1485641329?mod=e2fb

The Wall Street Journal reports that Trump added noted white supremacist Steve Bannon to the National Security Council and removed the director of National Intelligence and the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff.

At this point, I really don't think a military coup is the worst outcome.

But it will be the biggest blow to the prestige to the country as a "beacon of democracy". Also remember the good old Mad Dog Mattis? He is highly respected among the grunts and a semi religious icon for the marines. This is just a speculation, but it almost seems like Trump secured the loyalty of the military by selecting Mattis as a secdep. Now it is hard for the suits in the pentagon to pull off a coup. Also grunts in US are recruited from lower class families and neighbourhoods, so I bet most jarheads voted for Trump to begin with.

Also a photo of the chain of command at a USMC base.

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 06:54:13 pm »
Military coup is very unlikely, but it's hard to figure a situation where the potential harm would be less than a Trump presidency.

United States has never been a 'beacon of democracy'. It's been a flawed representative democracy at best.

I get the argument, though: 'displacing Trump is bad...for some reason.'

That doesn't really work, because 1) in pure democracy terms, Trump lost by millions of votes, and he also has made multiple statements that are inherently un-democratic.

For example: stating that his political opponent would be in jail if he were elected, refusing to agree to accept the results of the election in the final Presidential debate, and claiming the election process was rigged.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 02:18:56 am »
The only way a military coup will happen in the U.S. in the foreseeable future would be if Trump did something incredibly blatantly illegal, something along the lines of attempting to seize power directly by arresting members of Congress or of the judiciary.

In other words, a military coup would only occur as a direct response to something god-awful that Trump himself attempts.  The military would not support Trump if he attempted a coup, but most certainly some of them would stand with Trump if the citizens rose up to try to overthrow him by force.

For all of the bullshit of our political system, overthrowing Presidents or the government by military force really hasn't been a thing for us during the last century and a half.  Even the American Civil War wasn't an attempt to overthrow the federal government.  Belief in the principals of our Constitution is pretty deeply ingrained in the American consciousness, even if there's a lot of cognitive dissonance about what those principals actually are or how they should be interpreted.

I'm really hoping that Trump pisses off so many people that he gets impeached and removed from office, even though that would likely leave us with Pence in charge.  I don't think impeachment is going to happen, but the idea gives me something to hope for.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 03:23:17 am »
I'm really hoping that Trump pisses off so many people that he gets impeached and removed from office, even though that would likely leave us with Pence in charge.  I don't think impeachment is going to happen, but the idea gives me something to hope for.

Pence being Trump's VP is why impeachment is a viable if extremely unlikely option for Republicans. They get a traditional Republican, though in political terms they'd want to wait for Trump job approval to be around 20%, if not lower. It's a win-win for them: either Trump somehow shapes up and is a competent Republican president, or he keeps fucking up in nearly every conceivable way, gets really unpopular, and gives the Republican majority political cover to impeach him.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 06:02:44 am »
lmao
Days until >50% disapproval:
President   Days
Reagan      727
Bush Sr.      1336
Clinton      573
Bush Jr.      1205
Obama      936
Trump      8
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 12:17:36 pm »
This article nicely summarizes the state of Trump's blunder on the immigration ban:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/28/trump-immigration-ban-syria-muslims-reaction-lawsuits

If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Semnae

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 10:01:26 pm »
I saw the title and immediately though, "He's not a General. His rank is Commander-in-Chief".

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 10:34:07 pm »
Somehow I keep thinking this is more and more likely
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMwKPmsbWE

They've just got the wrong president
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:37:35 pm by Krudda »

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 10:53:36 pm »
I saw the title and immediately though, "He's not a General. His rank is Commander-in-Chief".
Considering his level of civility, I'd say more like a chieftain.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline Tanis

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 01:11:08 am »
I was bored...

WEIRD Acbar YANKOVIC LYRICS
"Trump"

Trump sat alone on a bench in the park
"My name is Donald," he'd casually remark
Waitin' for the bus with his hands in his pockets
He just kept sayin' life is like a box of white chocolates

He's Trump, He's Trump
What's in his head?
He's Trump, He's Trump, He's Trump
Is he in-bred?

Trump was a big celebrity
He told MLK that he really had to pee
He never feels too dumb because
His mom always told him stupid is as stupid does

He's Trump, He's Trump
He's kinda square
What's with that hair?

Run... run... run, run, now Donald
Run... run... run like the wind now
Run... run... run, run, now Donald
Run... stop!

His buddy Bannon was a nazi-lovin' man
His friend with no brain he called Comrade Pu-tin
His girl friend Conway was kind of a putz
He went to the White House, showed 'Murica his cunt

He's Trump, He's Trump
He's not too bright
Yeah he's a blight

Is this Trump out of his head?
I think so
Is this Trump really brain dead?
I think so
Did this Trump make lots of bread?
I think so
And that's all I have to say about that
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:29:34 am by Tanis »

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2017, 12:24:02 pm »
Wow.... Trump to Mexico: I might deploy troops into your country to take care of bad hombres.

Jesus fucking Christ, let's start another war or three.  If he doesn't reign himself in, this guy's going to have us simultaneously bombing Iran, North Korea, and Mexico, all while licking Vladimir Putin's testicles.

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 03:31:14 pm »
Well, apparently the public statement denies any military threat.

Online JoonasTo

• Upholding traditional values
Re: General Trump Card
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 04:54:19 pm »
Well, he's going to need new friends if he gets rid of the ones he has now  ;D

Because we can!

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2017, 12:58:04 am »
He has money. Making friends isn't as hard as getting rid of some.

Flash a couple thousand greenbacks and anybody is your friend.

Speaking of which...

Is it twenty dollars, or twenty Donalds?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:02:34 am by Krudda »

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2017, 02:17:36 am »
I can't stand to look at that man's face without getting the urge to punch him in the throat.  I hated Bush 2, Cheney, and Karl Rove, but I've learned a whole new level of visceral disgust for this waste of human DNA.