Author Topic: General Trump Thread  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
Re: General Trump Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2017, 07:17:27 am »
Wow.... Trump to Mexico: I might deploy troops into your country to take care of bad hombres.

Jesus fucking Christ, let's start another war or three.  If he doesn't reign himself in, this guy's going to have us simultaneously bombing Iran, North Korea, and Mexico, all while licking Vladimir Putin's testicles.
Another you say? Why not. https://theintercept.com/2017/02/02/press-secretary-sean-spicer-falsely-accuses-iran-of-attacking-u-s-navy-vessel-an-act-of-war/

edit: Also, this is awful. http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/02/trumps-religious-freedom-executive-order-worse-feared/2/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:42:16 am by Tiffanys »

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 12:23:49 pm »
Just wonderful.

So, overreaction or stating the truth?  My opinion is the latter.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/04/opinions/donald-trumps-most-bone-chilling-tweet-obeidallah-opinion/index.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:27:42 am by Ixarku »
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline surdumil

• Yeah! I'm lookin' at you!
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2017, 02:24:59 pm »
Hmm.  Interesting.

Trump bid to restore travel ban rejected

May I assume this is one of the mechanisms that keeps a power-mad moron in check?
... or at least reigned in by constitutional law?

*needs popcorn*

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2017, 01:01:36 am »
"(Robart's ruling) contravenes the considered judgment of Congress that the President should have the unreviewable authority to suspend the admission of any class of aliens," the Justice Department wrote in its filing."Courts are particularly ill-equipped to second-guess the President's prospective judgment about future risks. Unlike the President, courts do not have access to classified information about the threat posed by terrorist organizations operating in particular nations, the efforts of those organizations to infiltrate the United States, or gaps in the vetting process," the filing said.Justice Department lawyers further argued that the parties who filed the lawsuit -- the attorneys general of Washington state and Minnesota -- lack the ability to sue in federal court because their alleged harms are too "speculative."

Translation:  the Trump administration believes that it is not accountable to anyone, especially the courts.  You know, the guys that are SUPPOSED to serve as a check on unrestrained Legislative and Executive power.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2017, 05:38:13 am »
This is both amusing and sad at the same time... Donald Trump 'didn't realise he was promoting Steve Bannon to National Security Council when he signed order'

So basically he's signing executive orders he doesn't read or understand. Wow. That's just sad.

edit: Well, this is scary. http://www.thingsfame.com/house-republicans-just-voted-eliminate-federal-agency-makes-sure-voting-machines-cant-hacked/

edit: Also, this DeVos got appointed (the fuck?), but at least there are already efforts to not subject our children to her... http://pix11.com/2017/02/07/republican-introduces-one-sentence-bill-to-end-education-department-tmwsp/

To be honest I'm not sure which would be worse.

edit: Does Bannon count?: https://www.thenation.com/article/steve-bannon-wants-to-start-world-war-iii/

P.S. Someone else should post so I don't have to just keep editing this post every day like a crazy person.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:28:43 am by Tiffanys »

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2017, 03:48:16 am »
DeVos got appointed as a result of Pence casting the tie-breaking vote... apparently the first time in U.S. history that that has had to happen for a major cabinet appointee.

And Sessions sadly got confirmed for A.G. yesterday as well.

But at least one bit of bright news in that the Appeals Court held up the block on Trump's immigration ban.  Judging from comments I've seen on social media, those who are against the decision seem to be convinced that the judgment is politically motivated, despite evidence to the contrary.

Offline xfreidax

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2017, 07:22:26 am »
It's hard to sift out what is noise, hyperbole and propaganda when it comes to the stuff I've read on Bannon because much of the material is mired in US political polemics but taken at face value, this guy seems to genuinely want WWIII.

If he is truly an ideologue and the puppet master behind Trump, we're screwed...

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2017, 12:17:15 pm »
It's hard to sift out what is noise, hyperbole and propaganda when it comes to the stuff I've read on Bannon because much of the material is mired in US political polemics but taken at face value, this guy seems to genuinely want WWIII.

If he is truly an ideologue and the puppet master behind Trump, we're screwed...

I wish I could find it now or remember where I read it, but one article basically outlined that Bannon thinks there are major cycles of destruction and rebuilding in American history, and that the 2008 financial meltdown was the most recent event.  As a result, he thinks we're in a period of rebuilding and he intends to rebuild with an "America first" attitude.  Which means, fuck globalization and screw everyone who isn't an American nationalist.  I think Bannon is the most dangerous out of the Unholy Trinity of Trump, Bannon, and Pence.

I do also think that we are seeing the rise of some form of fascism in the U.S.  We're seeing (rather ham-fisted) attempts to bully and silence the media and other opponents of the administration, to delegitimize the courts, and perpetration some of the most blatantly outright lies I think I've ever seen in American politics.  It's like if I guy walked right up to you and punched you in the nose for no reason, and you exclaim, "Hey, what the hell?! Why did you hit me?"  And then he replies with a straight face, "I didn't hit you," and then he emphatically sticks to that story no matter how much you argue.

I sort of expected something like this after the Iraq war and the last Bush administration, but 8 years of Obama got me used to a different pattern, so seeing this blatant crap rise so abruptly has still got me in a bit of state of shock.  Really the only positive thing we've got going is that at least some of this stuff is happening very publicly and in such a bumbling way that a lot of people see the warning signs, and it's not too late to curb the administration's power before they completely go off the rails.  Kind of scares me, though, what might be going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Offline surdumil

• Yeah! I'm lookin' at you!
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2017, 04:19:43 pm »
'I want to die,' 2-year-old refugee said during hours-long walk to Manitoba from U.S.

I guess they must be pretty desperate if they attempt that trek without appropriate clothing.
-20C is not really all that bad if you're dressed up for it.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:24:20 pm by surdumil »

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2017, 05:05:05 pm »
And dressing up for it isn't that hard either. I'm not even wearing my winter coat this year. I just wear two hoodies over each other with a neck warmer, a tuque and cotton gloves. When the temperature gets below -10c I add an extra layer.
Altmed is altfact!

Online JoonasTo

• Upholding traditional values
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2017, 11:53:14 pm »

Because we can!

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2017, 07:21:18 am »
CNN: US investigators corroborate some aspects of the Russia dossier

From Reddit:
None of the newly learned information relates to the salacious allegations in the dossier. Rather it relates to conversations between foreign nationals. The dossier details about a dozen conversations between senior Russian officials and other Russian individuals. Sources would not confirm which specific conversations were intercepted or the content of those discussions due to the classified nature of US intelligence collection programs.

But the intercepts do confirm that some of the conversations described in the dossier took place between the same individuals on the same days and from the same locations as detailed in the dossier, according to the officials. CNN has not confirmed whether any content relates to then-candidate Trump.

The corroboration, based on intercepted communications, has given US intelligence and law enforcement "greater confidence" in the credibility of some aspects of the dossier as they continue to actively investigate its contents, these sources say.
It's almost like the dossier was written by a highly credible and respected former MI6 agent who has myriad connections in Russia.

edit: Found this too: http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-russia-ties-michael-flynn-dossier-2017-2

Same topic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:29:23 pm by Tiffanys »

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2017, 01:08:30 pm »
I think I read that bit of quoted text yesterday.  Not exactly a smoking gun, but it reinforces the credibility of said dossier.

Trump apparently has been bouncing around on his travel ban.  Last thing I saw, he's planning to revisit it and try again.  If he comes up with something constitutional that doesn't run roughshod over the law or people's rights, then fine.  I don't like the idea of a ban, I don't support the idea, but politics being what they are, the best we can hope for is for the courts and/or legislature to draw the line and make sure that Orange Joe doesn't step over it or scuff it up too often.

Offline Tiffanys

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2017, 12:08:22 pm »

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2017, 03:39:55 am »
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2017, 11:14:06 pm »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-lifestyle-taxpayers-20170216-story.html

edit: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/opinion/the-security-breach-at-mar-a-lago.html

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/5urepg/in_october_2016_donald_trumps_ghostwriter/

I hope he's not right (about martial law and nuclear war), though Trump did tweet yesterday that "the press is the enemy of the American people" which is kind of ironic, seeing as to how that was Nixon's thing. I think he probably will be right though unless he's impeached.

edit: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-leaked-audio-clubs-guests-235161

You know, I wonder if that Russian spy boat off our coast is there to spy on Trump... cause you could easily get some classified information it seems like considering stuff like this:
The president last weekend turned the Mar-a-Lago patio into an open-air situation room — discussing the response to a North Korean ballistic missile test while club members snapped pictures that ricocheted around social media and put him in the crosshairs of congressional oversight from Democrats and Republicans concerned about lax security protocols.

edit: Ohoho... https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/5v02vr/report_trumps_lawyer_handdelivered_michael_flynn/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:49:11 pm by Tiffanys »

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2017, 04:42:48 am »