Author Topic: General Trump Thread  (Read 2608 times)

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
Re: General Trump Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2017, 10:04:19 am »
Trump banned CNN, NYTimes, Politico and a few others from a gaggle (effectively a closed door daily press briefing).

No brakes on the fuck democracy train.

at the movies drunk & young

Offline Tanis

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2017, 04:42:16 pm »
NOBODY, who doesn't think their sister's got a pretty mouth, IS SURPRISED at this point.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2017, 02:49:47 am »
NOBODY, who doesn't think their sister's got a pretty mouth, IS SURPRISED at this point.

But he's just taking a stand against all that FAKE NEWS! So sad!

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2017, 02:53:08 am »
So, this is terrifying:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/26/robert-mercer-breitbart-war-on-media-steve-bannon-donald-trump-nigel-farage

it was only a matter of time before big data moved into politics really. iirc that's pretty much how Obama won 2008

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2017, 05:13:45 am »
it was only a matter of time before big data moved into politics really. iirc that's pretty much how Obama won 2008

That or the fact the Republican candidates weren't all that great...not that Trump is any better at any point though.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2017, 05:29:41 am »

That or the fact the Republican candidates weren't all that great...not that Trump is any better at any point though.

honestly what are you actually talking about did you read the article?

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2017, 05:33:31 am »
I'm not saying anything regarding the article, just making a jab based on what I recall in the 2008 and 2012 US elections.

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2017, 05:39:12 am »
I'm not saying anything regarding the article, just making a jab based on what I recall in the 2008 and 2012 US elections.

sick man good contribution 10/10

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2017, 05:50:58 am »
Quite honestly, I don't think the guy's is even worth seriously discussing about beyond his actions. The reasons surrounding the plebs who voted him are a more interesting subject.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2017, 12:29:06 pm »
Quite honestly, I don't think the guy's is even worth seriously discussing about beyond his actions. The reasons surrounding the plebs who voted him are a more interesting subject.

You should actually read the article, considering that it's about how said plebs were manipulated into voting for him by the extreme right-wing billionaire who helped fund the Trump campaign.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2017, 03:30:53 am »

You should actually read the article, considering that it's about how said plebs were manipulated into voting for him by the extreme right-wing billionaire who helped fund the Trump campaign.

Ah, I assumed based on the URL that it was just about the nonsense Trump pulled on Friday calling every major news outlet being fake. So thanks for the heads-up.

From what I can tell, while the idea of utilizing military-grade tech to drive propaganda is no joke, I think the article somewhat over-exaggerates their findings. However, it is understandable considering what essentially occurred was the utter abuse of search analytics with online journalism taking collateral damage if not the brunt of being a target. Far from a true mark of brilliance (though the automated share trader is intriguing).
Basically, its "success" boils down to a couple of conditions which aren't really new issues: the fact that all that info could be gathered so easily, and how readily plebs (I always use this meaning, not as a derogatory term) are to devour any words that feed their own individual inclinations, factual or otherwise.

On the latter, I can't really say much as I don't know enough about the people on the lower-end of the social/cultural class in the US.
What I did observe at some point though (being the lurker I am) is that often the comment sections of news sites had really shitty posts on them, mainly from seemingly middle-aged adults (it's not nearly as bad as incessant kids on gaming boards though). When obviously false/inaccurate/incorrect statements are replied to by someone with a rebuttal the original poster seemingly (as in, almost predictably) goes into a frenzy or some sort. This kind of people couldn't care less what reality actually dictates, and I'd be surprised if someone with the same alignment as them (which can be either of the two in the US) even needed to go so far as to actually "brainwash" them as the article puts it. On the other hand, those who can't decide for themselves what alignment they should take and believe every conflicting detail they see are no better.
Same pattern should still be around in any political subreddits last I checked (during the last campaign), perhaps even on FB/Twitter as per the crap Burk's been dealing with.

I'd go as far as to say this can be entirely FB's fault. Web crawlers would basically be doing what they're supposed to do, even in the event that lookups began concentrating toward falsified information, and at least Google has sorta retaliated to the phenomenon (albeit late) as described in this article.
In the case of FB though, first thing that it had going was making any and all details users put on the site ready to be captured for analyzing. This was way back when and never really changed fundamentally. And then at some point the founder decided to take the SJW stance by replacing all the news curators with a shady-as-hell algorithm that guarantees that any news fed to users are closely if not entirely suited to they're dispositions and preferences. In the case of the elections, there's no way they'd see political views opposing theirs until others go out of there way to argue with them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:35:10 am by megido-rev.M »

Offline halfelite

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2017, 05:46:51 pm »
While I think Social Media did play a roll it was not that big. When you look at the hard voting numbers and where people voted and for who the outcome has not changed for the past 20 years. Big metropolitan areas vote blue rural areas vote red. Nothing changed this election either the map was still exactly how it has been. What changed was what people wanted. You had Hilary going after Coal mining in a few states that flip flop which is where I think social media did play a role.  As she said ""We're going to put a lot of coal companies and coal miners out of business." That comment was immediately preceded by a promise to invest in the clean-energy economy in those places, and immediately followed by a pledge to "make it clear that we don't want to forget those people.""  Now most people just ran with the we are going to put a lot of coal companies out of business. So I am sure some people saw that and had a second guess. But I think the majority of people would read the whole sentence and say I believe she will close jobs but I dont believe she will make new jobs.   

I think people read way to much into this election there was no big conspiracy theories, there was no man behind the scenes brainwashing people. You had two really crappy candidates and if Obama had not been president for 8 years before I think Hillary would have gotten the win I also think if she would have went up against any other Republican candidate should would have won. Trump was just enough of a wild card that he edged her out.

Offline xfreidax

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2017, 06:50:37 pm »
Social media is pretty significant right now in shaping public opinion and it'll be all that matters in another decade or two.... when the boomers are gone and X on the way out.

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2017, 02:16:44 am »
Meh, I didn't even say anything about the election. The surge of fake news sites was fundamentally not much different from propaganda of the past, just the result of a really expensive fancy new way of executing an old and annoying concept.
The votes for Trump stem from more significant problems within the population, such as a kind of adversity for education and the notion of reality beyond what's said and heard. If I had to guess how much the fake sites actually swayed the vote, I'd give it maybe 1-2%, and that's me being generous.

Offline xfreidax

« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2017, 06:21:52 am »
It probably didn't sway many undecided voters. But it's hell of effective at energizing your political base and whipping things up to fever pitch. I read somewhere the democrat base didn't turn out to vote in numbers, whereas the republican base did. "Alternative facts" wasn't the singular factor that effected this but I'm willing to bet it played a pretty instrumental role...

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2017, 07:41:24 am »
alright i guess we're just gunna pretend we're not talking about the article ixarku posted let's GO.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2017, 11:57:08 pm »
http://www.salon.com/2017/03/14/intelligence-expert-malcolm-nance-on-trump-scandal-as-close-to-benedict-arnold-as-were-ever-going-to-get/

I hate President Pussygrabber as much as the next person, but that article was heavy on the opinion and light on the facts.  If some insiders know all of this treasonous stuff, then what's taking so long to bring out the double-barrelled shotgun and bring these assholes down?

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2017, 07:47:45 pm »
http://www.salon.com/2017/03/14/intelligence-expert-malcolm-nance-on-trump-scandal-as-close-to-benedict-arnold-as-were-ever-going-to-get/

I hate President Pussygrabber as much as the next person, but that article was heavy on the opinion and light on the facts.  If some insiders know all of this treasonous stuff, then what's taking so long to bring out the double-barrelled shotgun and bring these assholes down?

Because the President of the United States can't simply be arrested.

They have to have an impeachment proceeding (which requires a simple majority in the House). That affirms the charges against the President. Then the case is presented in front of the Senate. A conviction by the Senate requires a 2/3rds majority to remove the accused from office.

There is no way that Republicans would pass the impeachment proceedings, let alone convict a President of their party. Earliest that it is feasible is 2018. Significant gains during the mid-term elections by the Democrats would make getting the impeachment possible, but a conviction would still require significant Republican support (which is likely why it's a 2/3rds: so the majority party can't simply impeach political opponents at will).