Author Topic: Increasing prices due to Tariffs.  (Read 378 times)

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
Increasing prices due to Tariffs.
« on: January 26, 2017, 05:28:25 pm »
So old Drumpf is planning on imposing a tariff on all imported goods.  I watched a video on the subject and how it will affect video game sales from Rooster Teeth.  That got me to thinking on if this will also increase the price of Anime and Manga series as well.  The local Wally World has just started selling some good series and movies at a lot cheaper than I've had to pay for the last few years.  Now with this, am I going to have to end up going pure digital?  If so, that sucks.  I've just started building a collection that I can actually "show" to my friends whenever we head out without busting out the external hard drive and my laptop.  Plus I'm one of the folks who enjoy physically holding a book in his hands when I read rather than a tablet.  Don't get me wrong, if that's the only way I get to finish Berserk, I'll keep that freaking tablet hooked into the power grid until I finish reading it.

Edit- The video from Rooster Teeth on the subject.  https://youtu.be/rN5XSgqWohM

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline JoonasTo

• Upholding traditional values
Re: Increasing prices due to Tariffs.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 06:24:28 pm »
And the prices of electronics should jump up quite a bit too.
The prices of "american"(mexican) cars too.

While prices of "Japanese"(american) cars should stay the same.
Funny thing, protectionism.

Because we can!

Offline AceHigh

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 12:58:42 am »
It will provoke a different consume behaviour, where people maintain and repair instead of throwing away and buying new. That might create more jobs for skilled technicians, (but less production industries).

I would welcome a world where planned obsolescense and wasteful consumerism would be diminished.

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 07:38:26 am »
Ace, you should see my sound system.  I may have a large flatscreen tv, but the sound system is a 70's deck system with an 8Track and two huge speakers I salvaged from a movie theater.  It looks tacky as hell, but kinda cool in a retro way.  That and I can turn it up loud enough so that if I wanted, I could mow my lawn and listen to pandora at the same time.

As to what industry is going to be hit first, I think the stores like Party City will feel it first.  Most of their cheap toys for party favors come from overseas.  So birthday parties will be more expensive, then we move to a lot of the aftermarket parts for sound systems that the younger kids like to tinker with.  Then we move on to the electronics like tablets, laptops and game systems.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 11:16:14 am »
70's and 80's sound systems were the best.
Personally, I've got a Pioneer Quadraphonic setup with two giant speakers that can make the entire room vibrate at merely a quarter volume.
Can't get that shit now with this Wireless Bluetooth surround "1000watts RMS" crap.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 07:52:18 am »
I said all this weeks before Trump was even voted into the position he's in now. sigh...

It's not just games consoles and games, it's almost everything that is imported. Including food.
For example, did you know the in American, all the CDs, DVDs and Blurays your movies and TV shows (including R1/A release Anime) come packaged in, are produced in Mexico?

Offline surdumil

• Yeah! I'm lookin' at you!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 12:59:44 pm »
If the U.S. raises import tariffs, trading partners will raise tariffs on goods exported from the U.S. as well.
It's only logical.  Trade is trade after all.

U.S. result: Inflation, loss of jobs, the further decline of American brands in foreign markets.  Excellent!

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 01:07:01 pm »
i really wish you didn't get your news from cockbite tbh

at the movies drunk & young

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 10:00:08 pm »
I pay those guys no heed, they're a bunch of idiots.
They're also arrogant as fuck and don't reply to emails - even customer support emails.

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 03:51:53 pm »

I didn't hear about it from them first, I just used them as a source. Cockbyte, lol I haven't heard that in a while.

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 01:07:45 am »

I didn't hear about it from them first, I just used them as a source. Cockbyte, lol I haven't heard that in a while.

damnit, i can't find the intro video with the subtitles where cockbite came from. a;sdkjasjf oh well

at the movies drunk & young

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 01:50:26 am »
That'd be the season 2 DVD titlescreen intro
http://rvb.wikia.com/wiki/Season_2_DVD

For anyone else confused, dick munch = cock bite = rooster teeth