Author Topic: Shooting in Quebec City  (Read 260 times)

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
Shooting in Quebec City
« on: January 30, 2017, 03:58:26 pm »
Their was an attack at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec ( a mosque) yesterday evening at 8pm, killing 6 people. At this point the motive of the perpetrators isn't known although people speculate it might be either some quebecois nationalists or a hate crime from another Muslim sect. Two people were arrested and their names got leaked: Mohamed Khadir (as Arabic as it gets) and Alexandre Bissonnette (as Quebecois as it gets).

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/shooting-at-centre-culturel-islamique-de-quebec
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:25:26 am by Burkingam »
Altmed is altfact!

Offline DespondenSea

Re: Shooting in Quebec City
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:55:03 pm »
I'd give it a couple weeks for all the facts to be pinned down and confirmed.

But I was a bit surprised. Hate crimes are normally an American thing, not a Canadian thing.

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:23:20 pm »
^Don't fool yourself. Someone tried to assassinate ou elected premier on Election Day 2012(and murdered a stage technician in the process).

In any case, according to the latest details, Mohamed isn't a suspect after all, just an important witness. Alexandre is known to frequently post alt-right stuff on social media.

Update: Mohamed has been released. Turns out he's actually closer to a hero than a terrorist. Immediately after the shooting, he came back inside the Mosque to give first aid to the victims, but when the police finally arrived he didn't realize they were police officers. He saw their guns, got scared and tried to run away, so they arrested him by mistake.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:12:37 am by Burkingam »
Altmed is altfact!

Offline halfelite

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 12:22:36 am »
I'd give it a couple weeks for all the facts to be pinned down and confirmed.

But I was a bit surprised. Hate crimes are normally an American thing, not a Canadian thing.

Hate crimes are an everyone thing. But for some reason the US media is a lot stronger to broadcast it more. There was a school shooting in Mexico City on Jan 18, 2017 did anyone post or hear about it nope. The surveillance video of the attack even leaked online. Even now you take the SB or the Pulse night club shooting and it was front page news for days/weeks. I see small blips on the news for the Quebec shooting not pushed into the spotlight.

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 01:32:57 am »
Sean Spicer trying to use the shooting to justify Trump's travel ban. 6 months ago I would have asked how low they can get, but now that seams pretty baseline coming from Trump's administration.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 02:04:31 am »
Hate crimes are an everyone thing. But for some reason the US media is a lot stronger to broadcast it more. There was a school shooting in Mexico City on Jan 18, 2017 did anyone post or hear about it nope. The surveillance video of the attack even leaked online. Even now you take the SB or the Pulse night club shooting and it was front page news for days/weeks. I see small blips on the news for the Quebec shooting not pushed into the spotlight.

C'mon, the U.S. is the center of the known universe.  If it doesn't happen here, it's not important enough to become big news.  And, let's face facts, if it a media producer's main audience is Americans, then they're going to publish stories that are most relevant to Americans.  Pulse is still in the news here in Central Florida, and likely will be for a long time.  The attack has left some big scars.

All that said, my sympathies go to the victims & families of this latest attack in Quebec.

If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 03:45:11 am »
^Don't fool yourself. Someone tried to assassinate ou elected premier on Election Day 2012(and murdered a stage technician in the process).

In any case, according to the latest details, Mohamed isn't a suspect after all, just an important witness. Alexandre is known to frequently post alt-right stuff on social media.

Update: Mohamed has been released. Turns out he's actually closer to a hero than a terrorist. Immediately after the shooting, he came back inside the Mosque to administer first aid to the victims, but when the police finally arrived he didn't realize they were the police officers. He saw their guns, got scared and tried to run away, so they arrested him by mistake.
If this was America, the cops would probably have shot him
:(

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 12:11:34 pm »
If this was America, the cops would probably have shot him
 :(

No, he, as an unarmed man, would have accidentally fallen on several bullets while engaging the police in a life-and-death shootout, and the bodycam footage would mysteriously show none of the crucial moments of the encounter.  Get it right.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline surdumil

• Yeah! I'm lookin' at you!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 03:56:10 pm »
I've often thought that Quebec politics are especially complicated.
I certainly wouldn't try to guess at motives at the best of times.
It's a terrible, incredibly sad thing to have occurred.

As a note, there is only one suspect, Bissonette.
The other person is a key witness who was helping out in the aftermath.

One wonders in marvel at the idiocy displayed at the highest levels of American politics.
Maybe Spicer can elaborate on how his leader's policies are encouraging right-wing xenophobic terrorist attacks against Muslims now, as Harper's campaign bleats had done.
(I erred.  Xenophobia is not right-wing or left-wing.  It's just clueless hatred.)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:50:37 pm by surdumil »

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:15:07 am by Burkingam »
Altmed is altfact!