Author Topic: What lies ahead for both parties?  (Read 169 times)

Offline halfelite

What lies ahead for both parties?
« on: February 01, 2017, 03:57:34 am »
So now that the election is over and we have seen some staggering numbers from both sides and wins and losses where do both parties move from here.

Democratic party has lost 900+ seats in state legislatures over the passed 8 years.  Which gives you a map like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_state_legislatures#/media/File:United_States_state_legislatures.svg

I see two options for them either stop focusing on immigration reform and start on white working class and abandon a large chunk of your minority base or abandon the white working class and go after all the minority votes hit Texas and Florida hard to try to get the minority voters and turn them into blue states. Or the 3rd option I can think of is wait for Millennials to come of age to vote as they surpass the baby boomer numbers at this point.

Republican party while it has gained a ton of ground at the state legislature level it has two major issues as well that will haunt them for a long time. California and New York. This also plays into Popular vote. If you take a look at the county map for the election here
http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/california and took out LA County and San Francisco it would become a battle ground state and Hilary would not have won the popular vote just by removing two cities. Again with New York looking at a per county map here http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/new-york If you took out New York City Alone it would become a red state. Those two states alone make up 20%+ of the democratic party votes that is a lot of voting power in such small areas. So how do you attack that crowd. Do you start to focus on immigration more and hope they turn or do you abandon them and keep with the current strategy of getting the rust belt and stopping the Democratic party from getting the Sun Belt.

Where does this leave 3rd parties sadly none of our 3rd party candidates where worth anything to shed some lime light on that area of voting its still a niche out there crowd.

It seems both parties are going through a change for better or worse. At this point hard to say which way that will go but seems like some interesting times ahead. Will we see a new party spawn from the huge amounts of people that sit more in the middle and dont lean to far left or to far right that want a blend or....

What are others thoughts on this.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
Re: What lies ahead for both parties?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 06:08:16 am »
Immigration reform..? What the heck world are you living in?

It's pretty clear that we need to go back to the Democratic party of FDR rather than the corporatist party we've had after Al From's 1992 bloodless coup that put Clinton in the White House when we got in bed with the big banksters.

Rather than corporatists and moderates we need more progressives like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. That's the only way you're going to energize the base.

The democratic party is failing because it forgot who it is and sold its heart for money. I seem to recall reading somewhere about some right wing big donors of the democratic party that are actually republicans that want to move the party in such a way that it fails and ensures republican control. When you make the democratic party about doing what's best for big companies then the party of the people loses its meaning. The energy and support disappears, and the party loses.

Though, depending on how badly Republicans botch the next 4 years we might not need to do a damn thing to take over.

As for Republicans... They need to get away from hate, being completely sold out to big corporations (oil, military, pharma, etc), and religion. If they did that they might even flip a lot of democrats over to the republican side. There are a lot of people that believe in more conservative governance but the way republicans throw the poor under the bus and prop up huge corporations at every opportunity and how bat shit insane they are on issues like gay rights, trans rights, abortion, etc, just scares people away. Hell, if they actually did that I wouldn't be so damned ashamed of half the country being Republican. As it stands they want to get rid of public education (the fuck?!), medicare, any kind of social welfare program, and scaremonger people against universal healthcare so they can line their pockets from big pharma. It's all about money. They need to get away from that shit.

Overall, we need to get all money out of politics. That would solve a lot of fucking issues on both sides.

edit: Oh look, an article: https://progressivespring.com/2017/02/01/justice-democrats-democratic-party/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:07:00 am by Tiffanys »

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 11:58:14 am »
Overall, we need to get all money out of politics. That would solve a lot of fucking issues on both sides.

edit: Oh look, an article: https://progressivespring.com/2017/02/01/justice-democrats-democratic-party/

Well, that's certainly encouraging.  As a liberal, it gives me some reason to believe in the future of the Democratic Party; otherwise, if the party doesn't heed the lessons of this and past elections, personally, I'll continue to vote for third party candidates.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 08:01:36 pm »

Can they actually chance the party from within? We already saw how they moved against Bernie Sanders during the Primary. What is stopping them from doing it again with this so called change?

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 02:13:56 am »

Can they actually chance the party from within? We already saw how they moved against Bernie Sanders during the Primary. What is stopping them from doing it again with this so called change?

It's not that the Democratic establishment can't stop it; the question is, whether they're willing to risk losing another election or two or three because they choose to ignore or suppress their base.  It's an interesting situation in that both Republican and Democratic parties experienced a populist surge this election cycle in response to similar things (that being, money in politics, and too much focus on welfare for businesses and not enough on improving things for the middle class).  The Republicans lost control of their party, the populists gained the upper hand, and unexpectedly won, while the Democrats kept tighter control of the party and yet lost enough just support from their base to lose.  I think now both parties recognize that they can no longer pay lip service to the middle class while remaining beholden to special interests and big business.  Now it begs the question, how willing are both parties to distance themselves from corporate and SuperPAC money in favor of doing what their respective bases want.

In a weird way, this election cycle is encouraging in that I think it's shown the power of grass roots movements on both sides.  It's a disaster, of course, in that the least qualified and potentially most destructive candidate within memory ended up hijacking the populist movement.

The Democrats, if they're smart, will recognize which way the wind is blowing and they'll move to energize the progressives, because that's where their greatest potential is really at.  Without the progressives, the Democrats can't muster enough votes to compete with the Republicans.  Of course they also need to try to make inroads with moderates and conservatives to regain some ground in middle American, but that's a more uphill battle.  The Democrats can't afford to alienate voters on either side of their moderate-right positions.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.