Author Topic: Good Cheep/Free seedboxes  (Read 403 times)

Offline juggalojohn

• Just Be Nise
Good Cheep/Free seedboxes
« on: February 02, 2017, 04:37:35 pm »
I'm looking for a good seedbox thats dirt cheep.All the information im finding is years old and most places have poofed.

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
Re: Good Cheep/Free seedboxes
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:38:36 pm »
Define "dirtcheap".

Whatbox starts @15, I've used them for a while and they worked out perfectly for me.

Online kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:37:14 pm »
Whatbox starts @15, I've used them for a while and they worked out perfectly for me.

is $15 per month "cheap"? if we look at it from a yearly expense thats $180 per year.

i've seen a few for less than $100 per year, though i don't know what their policies are.

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 06:45:19 pm »
Which is why I asked how he defines cheap. I know there are cheaper options, but I can't say how reliable they are, so I can't recommend them in good faith.

Offline Govna

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 01:08:01 am »

is $15 per month "cheap"? if we look at it from a yearly expense thats $180 per year.

i've seen a few for less than $100 per year, though i don't know what their policies are.

In the end it really just matters what you want. Do you want it to actually seed, or mostly serve as a weird ftp that prevents you from getting HnRs.

You'll be hard pressed to find anything cheaper than $15 that actually seeds at a decent rate.

Online kitamesume

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 01:47:36 am »
well yeah, it comes down to their policies.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 11:30:47 am »
I've used whatbox for several years now and I'd have to say customer service is outstanding.

Download speed (to the slot) are incredibly fast, download dozens of GBs in seconds.
Seed speeds are good too.
Space is a bit restrictive, but the options available are still reasonable.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 09:39:11 pm »
Yeah, customer service at Whatbox is amazing. They're pretty good on space if you get a HDD plan though. But they start at $22/mo. They used to be $25/mo. I've used them for years. Every time they upgrade their servers you get upgraded to the new stuff for free too. It's awesome.

You can't reasonably expect to get a seedbox for cheaper than the $15-25 a month range and you really need to be in the $20-25 range to have a decent amount of space. If you want cheaper than that then you're out of luck for seedboxes. Your best bet would be a VPN if privacy is the concern, and you can get those for pretty cheap. If you want something to actually seed at good speeds for you though, you're gonna have to plan to shell out a bit more than your range of <$10/mo that you're thinking.

The only other option would be finding a buddy or two to share a seedbox and each pay your share of it. A lot of people used to do it with dedi boxes from kimsufi (OVH) a few years back.

Online kitamesume

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 10:20:01 pm »
The only other option would be finding a buddy or two to share a seedbox and each pay your share of it. A lot of people used to do it with dedi boxes from kimsufi (OVH) a few years back.

this is a good point, but how many users can utilize one seedbox?

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 10:37:58 pm »
Depends on your host, their rules, and the total space available.
Oli know Whatbox (though not a dedi) let you do whatever you want with the slot you hire. They even have instructions on several different ways to share your slot with others including making additional user accounts tied to your user as the admin of them.

Online kitamesume

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 10:53:09 pm »
Oli know Whatbox (though not a dedi) let you do whatever you want with the slot you hire. They even have instructions on several different ways to share your slot with others including making additional user accounts tied to your user as the admin of them.

i kinda wish they made a feature for "guests" to browse and download from the seedbox.
its more convenient that way as you'd only need to supply a URL or account ID to said guests.

extensions on the features can include hide torrents, limit bandwidth, password protection and even download limitation.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:56:39 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 10:58:39 pm »
That also exists, it just counts toward your bandwidth limit as it doesn't use your login.

You can make an FTP server or a http server or a cloud. There's instructions for many ways to share data / the slot.

Offline Govna

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 05:48:41 pm »

i kinda wish they made a feature for "guests" to browse and download from the seedbox.
its more convenient that way as you'd only need to supply a URL or account ID to said guests.

extensions on the features can include hide torrents, limit bandwidth, password protection and even download limitation.

It's called user permissions, the root of all evil for servers.

Alternative you can setup plex.

Offline Wisperer

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 04:32:28 am »
Probably A bit late on this, but But i just rent a cheap dedicated server from Kimsufi. You'll have to know or learn a bit of Linux CLI to set it up, but I've been running a seedbox from one of their French based Server sites for a couple years. i pay about $10/month and get 2TB in space. Speed ar good. Most I've seen it pull is 10Mb/s. Think I've had upload hit half that.

My seed box actually has an up-time of 7 months ATM.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:45:16 am by Wisperer »
BTC 1FhCLQK2ZXtCUQDtG98p6fVH7S6mxAsEey
We did not invent the algorithm. The algorithm consistently finds Jesus. The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is banned in China. The algorithm is from Jersey. The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 05:20:50 am »
You don't really need to learn Linux to set one up. You can use scripts for that. Just google "linux seedbox script setup" and you'll find something. I got mine from a user at AB back when I had a Kimsufi box at OVH. I dropped OVH though after Ireland passed their Irish SOPA. Didn't really feel all that safe anymore.

Offline Govna

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 07:30:59 pm »
You don't really need to learn Linux to set one up. You can use scripts for that. Just google "linux seedbox script setup" and you'll find something. I got mine from a user at AB back when I had a Kimsufi box at OVH. I dropped OVH though after Ireland passed their Irish SOPA. Didn't really feel all that safe anymore.

And then everything gets set up poorly and in a spiderweb and your server gets added to whatever the cool new ddos botnet is.

Offline Wisperer

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 07:13:50 am »
My point. if you do it yourself you know what does what and can fix it if something goes wrong later on down the road. Now I had alreay been using Linux for a good 3 year prior to renting out a Linux based server for my Seedbox. So I really can say how hard it would be for a Linux newbie to set one up, but i still had to do a bit of reading up to Figure out how to configure Deluge as a thin client.... In the end I'm happy. I may be do for a reinstall with ubuntu 14.04 starting to get near the end of it's shelf life though.
BTC 1FhCLQK2ZXtCUQDtG98p6fVH7S6mxAsEey
We did not invent the algorithm. The algorithm consistently finds Jesus. The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is banned in China. The algorithm is from Jersey. The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 03:49:47 pm »

And then everything gets set up poorly and in a spiderweb and your server gets added to whatever the cool new ddos botnet is.
It's literally open source, and the guy is a moderator at AB. They probably have similar scripts available at other trackers too from trusted sources. You can already skim through them yourself to make sure nothing malicious is happening.

My point. if you do it yourself you know what does what and can fix it if something goes wrong later on down the road. Now I had alreay been using Linux for a good 3 year prior to renting out a Linux based server for my Seedbox. So I really can say how hard it would be for a Linux newbie to set one up, but i still had to do a bit of reading up to Figure out how to configure Deluge as a thin client.... In the end I'm happy. I may be do for a reinstall with ubuntu 14.04 starting to get near the end of it's shelf life though.
That's way too much hassle for most people I'd wager. Certainly for me.

I don't have the kind of time in my life to learn the entire (flavor of) Linux OS that a particular dedi happens to be hosted as. That's kind of insane tbh.

Offline Govna

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 04:28:31 pm »

It's literally open source, and the guy is a moderator at AB. They probably have similar scripts available at other trackers too from trusted sources. You can already skim through them yourself to make sure nothing malicious is happening.

That's way too much hassle for most people I'd wager. Certainly for me.

I don't have the kind of time in my life to learn the entire (flavor of) Linux OS that a particular dedi happens to be hosted as. That's kind of insane tbh.

Not if you're new to things and have no idea tf you're doing.

Online kitamesume

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 05:26:22 pm »
setting up a proper seedbox is worth the trouble of learning linux, specially if its a long-term investment.