Author Topic: Google Plans on Banning Torrent Sites  (Read 526 times)

Online ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
Google Plans on Banning Torrent Sites
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:26:32 pm »
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/technology/story/google-may-soon-ban-torrent-sites/1/881492.html

Google's war against piracy is going to be more fierce now. Reportedly, the company is soon going to ban all the torrent sites. According to the new report by TorrentFreak, Google has been criticised by the Hollywood representatives for promoting piracy. Incidentally, Google is not the only web company that is working on measures to counter the torrent sites. Other search engines like Bing are also part of the plan.

Oh, well. I guess we need to start navigating the deep web.

Personal view:
What about content not available locally? I've read an article before that piracy is a way to promote content. Without piracy, we may have known less content to what we knew today.

The same thing goes for games. How do we know that a dev's game is worth to buy if we aren't given a chance to try it? Do we buy clothes without trying it out first? No. We'd rather fit it first than get on the hassle of refunding it later.

P.S. As much as possible, I avoid piracy. I buy music on Google Play, games on online distributors (like Steam) or on a local retailer, movies on a local retailer, and watch on cinemas. Legitimate anime sources are too limited and fansubs most of the time does better than "professionals".

Offline Tanis

Re: Google Plans on Banning Torrent Sites
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:35:12 pm »
On the one hand...I get where they're coming from.
-I mean, COME ON...they're a BUSINESS and probably need a break from all the fucking DMCA's they get.

Plus...no matter HOW you try and justify it...it's still stealing.
-Sure, it might be a 'stealing until payday' or 'stealing until you see if if's shit' or 'stealing because it's hard/damn near impossible to get it legally'.
But, it's STILL stealing in one way or another.

On the other hand...it does suck for those of us in shitty countries or with hobbies that aren't really filled with stuff we can get our hands on in our language.
-Plus, there's a LOT of freeware on torrent sites, so it COULD hurt legal content pretty harshly.

Offline juggalojohn

• Just Be Nise
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 04:22:09 pm »
"art should be free" is how I view it. All of my graphic art stuff is available through both buy and free sites.
As I see it theft and plagiarism is a form of flattery. If your going thought the trouble to steal my shit feel free to keep it.

Pirates while always have a way to share media.
and also there is always the google hacking method to find media "intitle:index of ..." or even duckduckgo

Offline Tanis

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:43:45 pm »
"art should be free" is how I view it. All of my graphic art stuff is available through both buy and free sites.
As I see it theft and plagiarism is a form of flattery. If your going thought the trouble to steal my shit feel free to keep it.
That's cute...and rather childish....but it doesn't pay the bills.

While YOU may think that...there's plenty of other folks who don't think that.

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 05:47:58 pm »
That's cute...and rather childish....but it doesn't pay the bills.

While YOU may think that...there's plenty of other folks who don't think that.

*shrugs* the information age revolves around information sharing.

while piracy is a blatant underhanded means of "sharing" its still the more formal way of information sharing.
in fact, more than half of these pirates actually bought their copy that they're sharing, this isn't even the same as stealing goods.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

now with all that said, internet piracy is vaguely misstated and demonized, when they're in fact the "samaritan" as some people actually thinks of them, ironic isn't it?
i mean, is buying a copy then "donating" it to the public an "evil" thing to do?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:16:35 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 07:40:17 pm »
Truthfully, its not "evil", but it is still "wrong".

Imagine you make something and you expect that something to be your sole income.
A friend goes out and buys one copy. Now he gives it to all his friends, lets say ten on them.

You have been paid once, while eleven people have enjoyed your hard work.
You have to eat instant noodles tonight because you can't afford anything else. This is hardly "fair" in your eyes, or at least, it should be.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 07:46:00 pm »

Imagine you make something and you expect that something to be your sole income.
A friend goes out and buys one copy. Now he gives it to all his friends, lets say ten on them.

You have to eat instant noodles tonight because you can't afford anything else. This is hardly "fair" in your eyes, or at least, it should be.

i'm not saying its right nor proper, i'm vetoing the view of it being "evil".

and for the record, people do share them unknowingly that its piracy.
family, friends, and even just some nobody, they'd just simply share it because they liked it.
i mean imagine it, your dad bought a movie and decided to watch it with your entire family, this is also piracy.

its even worse with images.
like it? post it on facebook or somewhere else.
it doesn't matter if it had a watermark or whatever, they'll still share it with others.

the very concept of "sharing" is piracy.
even if its through distribution, streaming, or just watching it with others.
simply put, passing the "information" to another is piracy.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:06:43 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 08:24:36 pm »

i'm not saying its right nor proper, i'm vetoing the view of it being "evil".

and for the record, people do share them unknowingly that its piracy.
family, friends, and even just some nobody, they'd just simply share it because they liked it.
i mean imagine it, your dad bought a movie and decided to watch it with your entire family, this is also piracy.

its even worse with images.
like it? post it on facebook or somewhere else.
it doesn't matter if it had a watermark or whatever, they'll still share it with others.

the very concept of "sharing" is piracy.
even if its through distribution, streaming, or just watching it with others.
simply put, passing the "information" to another is piracy.

However, there remains a thing called IP.

There also remains a thing called a legal system and a jail your ass can go into for breaking it.

While you are free to think about it and discuss it, that doesn't mean that your worldview matters in the face of the law, until the law is changed accordingly.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 08:38:38 pm »
However, there remains a thing called IP.

There also remains a thing called a legal system and a jail your ass can go into for breaking it.

While you are free to think about it and discuss it, that doesn't mean that your worldview matters in the face of the law, until the law is changed accordingly.

exactly, by the law's definition, sharing information is illegal.
the only one who is allowed to distribute the information is the owner or the legal distributor.
sometimes its even illegal for the owner to distribute the information due to a contract with the distributor.

"sharing" information right now is quite ambiguous, on one hand "sharing" it is literally illegal, on the other you could refer for the information.
the difference is that you can't give them a copy, but you can recommend them to buy a copy, its still sharing but at the same time its not.
i mean imagine being told by someone who's willing to share his stuff "its good, want some? go buy one for yourself"....

on a side note, my mom flips at me whenever i tell her that letting everyone watch a movie she bought is illegal.
saying something like "what illegal? i bought it for everyone to watch, if you don't want to watch then don't."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:46:29 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 08:56:20 pm »
Your dad bringing a movie home for the whole family to watch is not piracy.
I don't have a source, but there is a clause in the law regarding 'home media' that excludes such use from being labelled "piracy"

If he brought some mates over, it also isn't piracy, but it is straining the rights given to you.
If he charged his mates, it then becomes piracy.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 09:00:37 pm »
I don't have a source, but there is a clause in the law regarding 'home media' that excludes such use from being labelled "piracy"

If he brought some mates over, it also isn't piracy, but it is straining the rights given to you.

then how is streaming it to friends and family different?
so long as the viewers doesn't get a copy then it isn't piracy?

what exactly makes it an exception, really.

edit: i checked whether streaming copyrighted material is legal, well in europe it seems to be legal, but i'm not sure on other places.
this sort of makes a loophole in the anti-piracy laws, one could buy a copy and stream it to the public.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:09:46 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 09:37:02 pm »
Streaming to the public is not legal anywhere. Where did you read that, a law site, or a blog?

Streaming to another location in your own home, is, provided you don't put the media on a cloud service / break any DRM in doing so.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 09:43:35 pm »
Streaming to the public is not legal anywhere. Where did you read that, a law site, or a blog?

Streaming to another location in your own home, is, provided you don't put the media on a cloud service / break any DRM in doing so.

blogs, i guess its just assumptions.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/13/legalities_of_streamed_video_in_europe/

then if its within an abode sharing is legal, so long as a copy doesn't get out?
this makes a loophole with big groups...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:52:42 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 09:51:24 pm »
Laws might be different per country.

This is what the law is in Australia.

It does not extend to pay-per-view. In such cases, only your family and people who regularly use the dwelling (as a place to sleep) are legally allowed to view the media.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 10:29:22 pm »

blogs, i guess its just assumptions.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/13/legalities_of_streamed_video_in_europe/

then if its within an abode sharing is legal, so long as a copy doesn't get out?
this makes a loophole with big groups...

That is saying the legal issue of you streaming it down the pipe this has always been the grey area. In most places its easy to say that downloading/viewing a stream is not illegal. The illegal part is you uploading the stream or the download which as far as I know is illegal in most countries now. The way most laws work is you and and a friend are watching the same stream online neither of you get in trouble. Now saw you are sending a stream to your friend now you can get in trouble.

if you are sharing IP material = illegal
If you are viewing IP material = grey area and will be decided in the courts.

But even that is hit and miss take The Netherlands for example downloading movies and books perfectly legal download an application and that is fine/jail time. Get caught uploading any and its fine/jail. Germany anything you download you can be held liable for.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:36:57 pm by halfelite »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 10:37:35 pm »
To make it a little clearer, "copyright" comprises three parts; the right to copy the media, the right to distribute the media, the right to charge for the media.

Having the right to charge for the media does not mean you have the right to distribute it. Having the right to distribute the media does not mean you have the right to charge for it. Having the right to copy the media does not mean you have the right to distribute the media., etc.

This doesn't mean having all three rights is impossible, just that there are three parts to the copyright act.

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 11:17:31 pm »
It sounds a lot worse than it is.

Not sure what the URL of a site is? Hop on /r/trackers or a similar site.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 11:24:51 pm »
It doesn't sound bad at all. Just stop using random sites, no need to google for a new one.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 11:34:45 pm »
pretty much, if you already know the URL then it works, the only issue i could think of is google DNS would drop pirate sites or link you somewhere else.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 11:56:09 pm »

It is. Well, not to your family. To a freind, no as well, but if you get like 10+ pals and want to show it to them, it actually is. After an arbitrary amount of people it changes from "showing to a few friends" to "a public performance", no matter how intimate.

You didn't buy a product, you bought a limited use license. It can be exceeded rather easier than you might've thought in the first place.