Author Topic: Google Plans on Banning Torrent Sites  (Read 525 times)

Offline halfelite

Re: Google Plans on Banning Torrent Sites
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 01:05:44 am »
https://torrentfreak.com/internet-backbone-provider-cogent-blocks-pirate-bay-and-other-pirate-sites-170209/  this is way worse then google blocking torrent sites. With the type of ban cogent did you cant get around it unless you have a vpn that can reroute the traffic so cogent is not used. But being Cogent is a cheap backbone provider a ton of hosting companies use them as their main peering source.  I think we will see freenet or zeronet finally take off soon.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:11:14 am by halfelite »

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 01:10:26 am »
meh, if its just blocking the route then they'll just force P2P to evolve again.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 04:03:31 am »
Having been following all this stuff since 2004 I can't say I'm too surprised by Google.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Bob2004

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 09:21:23 pm »
It's worth noting that, although the OP's link says Google will "ban" torrent sites, the BBC suggests that actually they'll simply be "demoted" in its search results. In other words, they'll just become less likely to appear near the top.

So still bad, but not quite so bad. If you're looking for something specific, it shouldn't be any harder to find it at least.

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 02:13:48 am »
If I can still find a site by searching its name, it wouldn't be too different.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 04:32:30 pm »
It's worth noting that, although the OP's link says Google will "ban" torrent sites, the BBC suggests that actually they'll simply be "demoted" in its search results. In other words, they'll just become less likely to appear near the top.

So still bad, but not quite so bad. If you're looking for something specific, it shouldn't be any harder to find it at least.
Quite true, and this is what they already did to "warez" forums years ago.  If anything, it improved the forums, as it was an additional (small) barrier that kept out the rankest noobs ::).

Nor does anyone HAVE to use Google, FFS.  There are many competing search engines, such as Duck Duck Go.

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 02:19:21 am »
Nor does anyone HAVE to use Google, FFS.  There are many competing search engines, such as Duck Duck Go.

Haven't used it too much myself, but I've heard good things about DuckDuckGo.

Offline LeijonaSisu

• Fillers suck
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 10:11:18 pm »
I'd never trust anything from IndiaToday. Seriously if Google did that I'd boycott them completely and so would millions upon millions of other people. Google needs to do its job and remain impartial. Besides, even if Google blocks torrent sites, every other search engine will still have them. That means less people looking at Google's ads because more people are using another search engine, which means less money for Google.

This will seriously never, ever happen. Ever. It's just a clickbait article.