Author Topic: Decent English news sources for general news, sports, tech and games  (Read 205 times)

Offline YuzzzzuY

So I was wondering whether anyone could recommend me some in their opinion decent, preferably unbiased news sources for general news, sports, tech and games? It doesn't have to be on 1 site or the same source obviously and without a paywall.

So my demands would be, English, probably the best idea, let's just stick with that. Supported by facts and not the alternative ones, though for tech an occasional early leak isn't a problem as long as they mostly report on no-need-to-take-with-a-pinch-of-salt news ;). For tech news I do like reading an occasional review, so a different source for those are ok as long as they cover enough.

For general news, no colored news, just good reporting, hopefully giving me a good view on the subject to draw my own conclusions. I like reading on analyses or articles written by local correspondents, those allow me to see things from a different point of view. General news I define as major news going on around the world, good coverage please :)

On the subject of sports, I like following general football news in the major leagues, especially the premier league. Also I like proper coverage during the summer olympics. Other than that, hopefully videos of the major moments, though that tends to be tricky with tv-rights and regional blocking.

For game news, mostly focus on pc, since that's what I play my games on. However I still like reading articles on non pc stuff, like new consoles, though this is mostly occasional. Also reviews are appreciated.

My current sources:
local media (non-English) - general news+sports - no complaints
bbc - general news - interesting analyses, not entirely neutral nor complete, but haven't found something better
engagdet - tech - occasionally strays into borderline tech/no-tech news, sometimes poor articles+clickbait, but gives me a general idea
eurosport - sport - a bit lacking and poor coverage of rio if I'm not mistaken, too big a focus on anything uk (for me)
pc gamer - game - no real complaints
ign - game - for non-pc stuff mostly
techradar - tech - sometimes for reviews

I guess that's it? To clarify generally I just skim over the titles to get a gist of what's going on, only reading the entire article if interesting. So as little clickbait as possible would be appreciated. Anything better out there or alternatives? Maybe some comparisons would be interesting to see. My biggest worry is probably general news, I feel like we're all getting brainwashed one way or the other...

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
Re: Decent English news sources for general news, sports, tech and games
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 06:59:27 pm »
Generally speaking, if you want objective news on something, it's best to stick to a third party, that has no stake in the matter itself.

That's for news. However, games and the like are different to me. Find journalist/reviewers whatever who you kinda agree with and stick with their opinion.

Offline YuzzzzuY

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:12:01 pm »
Generally speaking, if you want objective news on something, it's best to stick to a third party, that has no stake in the matter itself.

That's for news. However, games and the like are different to me. Find journalist/reviewers whatever who you kinda agree with and stick with their opinion.

It's kind of hard to find that third party nowadays when everyone has their own agenda. Or occasionally they won't report on a matter at all if it's all too distant if you catch my drift. For example Congo or even stuff like the famine in South-Sudan, before it was officially declared a famine, I didn't even know that much on the matter. I guess it's not only a matter of objective reporting, but also a matter of no reporting at all or leaving out some things.

Offline Saras

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 07:29:35 pm »

It's kind of hard to find that third party nowadays when everyone has their own agenda. Or occasionally they won't report on a matter at all if it's all too distant if you catch my drift. For example Congo or even stuff like the famine in South-Sudan, before it was officially declared a famine, I didn't even know that much on the matter. I guess it's not only a matter of objective reporting, but also a matter of no reporting at all or leaving out some things.

At the same time, how relevant is the famine of South Sudan to you? After a certain point, news stop being actually informative and just becomes another more or less useless flood of information.

If the third party doesn't think the topic to be relevant of being brought up, you have to think about whether it's actually that relevant to you either.

Anyway, if Africa is of relevance to you, you can probably look at the BBC world service. That's probably why I stopped listening to it myself, too much information about something I have no interest in.

And if finding third parties is a problem, you should probably consider at trying to get your news in another language.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:34:18 pm by Saras »

Offline YuzzzzuY

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 08:14:02 pm »

At the same time, how relevant is the famine of South Sudan to you? After a certain point, news stop being actually informative and just becomes another more or less useless flood of information.

If the third party doesn't think the topic to be relevant of being brought up, you have to think about whether it's actually that relevant to you either.

Anyway, if Africa is of relevance to you, you can probably look at the BBC world service. That's probably why I stopped listening to it myself, too much information about something I have no interest in.

And if finding third parties is a problem, you should probably consider at trying to get your news in another language.

Yeah, I see your point. The subject South-Sudan doesn't hold any particular relevance to me I guess? But still some things get a lot more attention comparatively, like drowning migrants or even Trump or maybe even Syria. I just have trouble seeing how one 'crisis' is worse than the other. In long run it will all affect us, right? In current situation in Syria was partially the result of a food crisis, which in turn might have been the result of climate change. Who's to say South-Sudan won't be the new Syria? I don't need a daily report on it, that's for sure, but I hardly have a clue of how it came to be atm. And if I have to start investigating it myself, I might as well start my own news site, which I don't plan to. Maybe ignorance is bliss, right?

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:48:24 pm »
I use NPR, BBC, Al-Jazeera English most of the time, and occasionally read The Atlantic and New York Times.

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 10:16:00 pm »
i hate my local news, they're putting in their own mix of rumors and furthermore mixing in jokes.

news announcements should be taken seriously, not be turned into a commercial gag entertainment.

Offline Saras

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:17:11 pm »

Yeah, I see your point. The subject South-Sudan doesn't hold any particular relevance to me I guess? But still some things get a lot more attention comparatively, like drowning migrants or even Trump or maybe even Syria. I just have trouble seeing how one 'crisis' is worse than the other. In long run it will all affect us, right? In current situation in Syria was partially the result of a food crisis, which in turn might have been the result of climate change. Who's to say South-Sudan won't be the new Syria? I don't need a daily report on it, that's for sure, but I hardly have a clue of how it came to be atm. And if I have to start investigating it myself, I might as well start my own news site, which I don't plan to. Maybe ignorance is bliss, right?

The problem with that approach is that the world is a big thing. There are more atrocities and crysies than you can ever hope to keep track off. So whether you like it or not, you have to prioritise.

There are things that are of interest to the Russian sphere of influence, the anglosphere, the Chinese, the French, the EU... etc... These topics are not necessarily mutual.

If you want to learn stuff about the ex-Commonwealth, the British will have the most information available on it.
North Africa? The French.
Central Asia? The Russians.
...etc

If you are interested in having a general 101 on the world, you will have to look up sources yourself and they won't be in English. If you don't, you'll only get information AFTER shit has already hit the fan and for only as long as.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:31:35 pm »
I use ... Al-Jazeera English ...
That one's pretty good.

I "sort of" use TYT but only sort of. What I mean is they'll have something like an 8-12 minute video with 6-10 minutes of that just being ranting on and on. So I usually only watch like 1/5th of their videos. So, not very good, I guess. Unless you like people spending an inordinate amount of time ranting about stuff rather than short concise information.

RT America is pretty decent.

SourceFed is more entertainment than anything but you could get some news from there if you wanted.

PhillipDefranco that owns SourceFed does a better news show on his own channel where he just talks about what's going on that particular day that you need to know. He does a pretty good job. Always checks sources and vets stuff before he jumps on a big bandwagon from fake news (god I hate that term now that Trump's using it for literally anything he doesn't like).

There are a lot of various YouTubers I peruse for gaming news. None that I really enjoy enough to watch regularly. Dodger, for example. She's cute.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:41:24 pm by Tiffanys »

Online Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 12:32:19 am »
I like Arstechnica for general tech / science / gaming, etc news.  IIRC, I think I picked that one up years ago from Kitamesume quoting from it a few times.

For general news, among others, I like the Christian Science Monitor, Reuters, The Conversation.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 01:17:52 am »
I like Arstechnica for general tech / science / gaming, etc news.  IIRC, I think I picked that one up years ago from Kitamesume quoting from it a few times.

speaking of Ars, they also do some random non-tech news.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/02/whats-in-subways-chicken-hint-maybe-only-50-chicken/

interestingly Subway (the actual restaurant) allegedly uses only 50% chicken, with the rest being soy protein.

Offline Saras

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 01:56:37 am »
Ars is good as a general tech site.

If you're interested in specific tech reviews Anand is good for that, but that's going into niche rather than general.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 02:30:52 am »
VG247?
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline YuzzzzuY

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 11:38:04 am »

For general news, among others, I like the Christian Science Monitor, Reuters, The Conversation.

I'll keep an eye on Ars Technica, but their RSS feeds page looks interesting enough. I'll probably subscribe on the sections that interest me and that should limit the less relevant articles. Great!

Reuters, semi-forgot about that one. I think they do professional journalism, so that's good enough to add to my list of secondary sources.

Ars is good as a general tech site.

If you're interested in specific tech reviews Anand is good for that, but that's going into niche rather than general.

I'll add Anand to my list and use up whenever I need a review or 2, good for comparison as well. Never a bad idea to have more than 1 review to rely on.

VG247?

Looks alright, I'll have to keep an eye on it and slowly compare it to ign and pc gamer, 3 different sources might be one too many all things considered. Likely keeping pc gamer, so it will be between ign and vg I guess?

I use NPR, BBC, Al-Jazeera English most of the time, and occasionally read The Atlantic and New York Times.

I used to read Al-Jazeera, but somehow stopped with it. Probably a period with relatively little news, but I can always read it alongside the bbc I suppose? 

NYT looks good enough to add to my secondary sources, their articles seem well written.

Offline YuzzzzuY

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 11:53:28 am »
I use ... Al-Jazeera English ...
That one's pretty good.

I "sort of" use TYT but only sort of. What I mean is they'll have something like an 8-12 minute video with 6-10 minutes of that just being ranting on and on. So I usually only watch like 1/5th of their videos. So, not very good, I guess. Unless you like people spending an inordinate amount of time ranting about stuff rather than short concise information.

RT America is pretty decent.

SourceFed is more entertainment than anything but you could get some news from there if you wanted.

PhillipDefranco that owns SourceFed does a better news show on his own channel where he just talks about what's going on that particular day that you need to know. He does a pretty good job. Always checks sources and vets stuff before he jumps on a big bandwagon from fake news (god I hate that term now that Trump's using it for literally anything he doesn't like).

There are a lot of various YouTubers I peruse for gaming news. None that I really enjoy enough to watch regularly. Dodger, for example. She's cute.

I generally avoid vids for news, either they are too long and end up ranting about things or in case of short concise ones, I just feel like it's better to go over the headlines of articles. While I do like to stay in touch, I do prefer it to the point. I guess I prefer written media over the other ones. It's a matter of being able to quickly skim over sections/headlines until you find something interesting enough to go into detail, while with vids that's not as easy to achieve even with fast forward.

Offline Bob2004

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 12:18:59 am »
As a PC Gamer I generally rely on Rock, Paper, Shotgun for my gaming news. They tend to cover the sort of interesting games I like, in addition to the big ones, and the writing is superb.

For general news, I go to the BBC. While it isn't perfect, it's the most objective and reliable source of information I've found so far. At least it's bound by some fairly strict laws to be as objective as possible, which is more than can be said for most of the commercial news companies...

Offline YuzzzzuY

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 01:46:22 am »
As a PC Gamer I generally rely on Rock, Paper, Shotgun for my gaming news. They tend to cover the sort of interesting games I like, in addition to the big ones, and the writing is superb.

For general news, I go to the BBC. While it isn't perfect, it's the most objective and reliable source of information I've found so far. At least it's bound by some fairly strict laws to be as objective as possible, which is more than can be said for most of the commercial news companies...

I'll keep an eye on Rock, Paper, Shotgun; hard to decide whether it will be up my alley based on a few glances.

From what I've heard and seen so far, the bbc seems to do an admirable job I guess? But I have some other sources to expand on it so, it should still be good enough for my primary/secondary news source. I'm not surprised to hear the bbc being bound by laws, as it should be in my opinion.